Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monday Night Football (July 5th)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Thankfully Fingal didn't wake up until 10 minutes to go. Very poor up until then I thought and then they could easily have score 3 in that time. Don't even think they had 3 shots up until then. Will need to improve for Europe. I don't think it was coincidence that their improved play happened after they took Glen Crowe off and put Zayed up top. Crowe wasn't great again.

As for us. Need to start taking our chances when we're on top. And stop playing Danny Ventre. At fault for the goal yet again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    cant believe the amount of junkie chanting from the rovers fans, typical............

absolutely gutted, cant believe that decision by kelly jokeshop, lino gave it, no doubt it crossed the line, not once but maybe twice

could see the rovers win on the cards, our 2nd half performance was terrible, didnt close down enough and gave the ball away too much, rovers one touch passing out did us imo

both teams created half chances maybe a draw would have been a fair result, not to be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    The Lino was flagging to give a penalty to Pats as far as I could see. Awful refereeing by Kelly who should have just allowed advantage be played, no excuse either after what went on in the World Cup earlier. Don't agree that a draw was a fair result, thought Rovers clearly had the better of the game, dominated throughout bar a fifteen/twenty minute spell in the first half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Oh, forgot to mention Rovers are top of the table. Time to celebrate like Hooperman

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Only keeping it warm for us thats all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Drogs fans are reporting that they got the finger from the lino near the end off the match in oriel tonight.shocking if true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    Drogs fans are reporting that they got the finger from the lino near the end off the match in oriel tonight.shocking if true
    Apparently the lino in the showgrounds the other night turned around and told some of the fellas giving him hassel to f.... off, don't know how true it is but thats what I was told. It wouldn't surprise me tbh, the officials here get away with murder and they continue to do it because they know they will get away with it. I'm sure Derry fans will back me up with Buttimer's antics in the Cup last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Were UCD missing players tonight? They were brutal, 4-0 wouldn`t have flattered Bohs
    A couple but not enough to explain the performance. Kilduff not starting was very odd, Mulhall was wasted up front, no one in the midfield gave him any support and he couldn't win the ball from long balls at all. Apart from that though, our midfield was useless, no one could keep the ball and they gave very little cover to the defence.

Really awful performance and 2-0 flattered us as you say.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danthesaint View Post
    cant believe the amount of junkie chanting from the rovers fans, typical............

absolutely gutted, cant believe that decision by kelly jokeshop, lino gave it, no doubt it crossed the line, not once but maybe twice

could see the rovers win on the cards, our 2nd half performance was terrible, didnt close down enough and gave the ball away too much, rovers one touch passing out did us imo

both teams created half chances maybe a draw would have been a fair result, not to be
    Rte 2 news showed the penalty incident and it definetely did not cross the line. I disagree with you,Rovers deserved to
    win the match,had more of the possesion and a lot more chances. I dont know what your complaining about re the chanting,
    thats L.O.I for you, Pats fans come out with some mad chants too. Overall it was a great game and good advertisement for
    the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    I dont know what your complaining about re the chanting,
    thats L.O.I for you, Pats fans come out with some mad chants too. Overall it was a great game and good advertisement for the game!
    did ya not see the wink beside my comment about chanting....it was aimed at hoopy i think the lads name was!!

at the time at posting, i didnt see any replays yet, but ball looked over the link from where i was

dont think guy should have took the peno anyway, feel robbed
    Last edited by danthesaint; 06/07/2010 at 7:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Rte 2 news showed the penalty incident and it definetely did not cross the line. I disagree with you,Rovers deserved to
    win the match,had more of the possesion and a lot more chances. I dont know what your complaining about re the chanting,
    thats L.O.I for you, Pats fans come out with some mad chants too. Overall it was a great game and good advertisement for
    the game!
    YOu deserved to win because you took your chances but both teams had about the same amount of them. Mannus certainly made as many saves as Rogers.

Didn't think it crossed the line either but that doesn't make it less sickening.

Kelly did get the decision to award us a free kick that lead to our goal wrong though. Guy was a yard inside the box and it shold've been a pen. Bizarre that no one was booked for it

Not complaining about him either btw, didn't influence that match result IMO
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I was wondering what Drogs fans were getting so apoplectic about towards the end of the match. Would be surprised if Delaney did give them the finger, but then this is officialdom in the league of Ireland, we shouldn't be surprised with anything.

That said, it seems to be the unwritten rule that officials (and players) are expected to put up with and accept odious personal abuse without reacting. I think I'd go postal if I was running the line in the league.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I heard Pete Mahon on RTE radio 1 sports news at 7.30. He was quite angry. Iagree with him that Rovers first goal looked off side. ON the penalty incident he said that he is blessed with perfect eyesight and that the ball crossed the line. Pete, I think a visit to the opticians is in order!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I brought a League of Ireland newbie to the Rovers - Pat's game and I think he's hooked, I don't think he could have got a more dramatic match for his introduction to the league. My first reaction for the first Rovers goal was offside too, but it was very close and came at the end of a very quick pass, it was a brilliant move and one of the better goals I've seen this season. Also thought the ball looked like it might have been over the line twice before the penalty was awarded, was surprised to see Guy taking it and not too surprised it was saved (I'd love to see stats on penalty misses/saves in Tallaght, it must be incredibly high).

Overall I thought Rovers just about did enough to deserve the win, both sides played some decent football, Rovers created more from open play but Pat's looked like scoring from every set piece. Also agree with Dodge that the foul on Guy looked like it was inside the box (I wasn't sure if he was fouled at all though, looked like he went down very easily). Second half in particular was very open and the game as a whole was a really good advertisement for what League of Ireland football can be about.

The fancy new sprinkler system in Tallaght also got a run at half time, leading to some very confused Pat's players coming out for the second half.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    The fancy new sprinkler system in Tallaght also got a run at half time, leading to some very confused Pat's players coming out for the second half.
    yeah that was impressive, fair play to the SDCC

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    My first reaction for the first Rovers goal was offside too, but it was very close and came at the end of a very quick pass
    it looked to me like the ball was spun off froma pats player challenge. There was something weird about it anyway.

Also agree with Dodge that the foul on Guy looked like it was inside the box (I wasn't sure if he was fouled at all though, looked like he went down very easily).
    nah, it was defo a foul. He was dragged back and then clipped. See plenty of them type of fouls not given though.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Headed along to the game in Tallaght last night (last chance i'll get to see an Irish league game until September) & I must say that Shamrock were a different animal altogether from the one i saw out in Bray a couple of weeks back, having seen St. Pats play Galway on Friday i thought they'd definitely get something from what i thought was a poor Shamrock side, how wrong I was. Firstly, thought the result was fair, the better side on the night deservedly took the 3 points, was suprised at Pats inability to create any openings from open play, set pieces were the only time they genuinely looked threatening and especially so after Shamrock had to take off one of their centre backs (not sure of the names, apologies) who up to that point looked pretty dominant at the back for them, even at that i thought Shamrock looked comfortable (though certaily not in control) for all but maybe 15 minutes of the first half when Pats clearly had the better of the posession. Second half, different story altogether, Shamrock stepped up the pace & started to run at the defence & clearly unsettled them, thought the goal came against the run of play but predictably from a set piece for which i thought the keeper was poor, didnt have a great view for the equaliser but some said it looked offside, cant comment on that but can definitely comment on the finish which was excellent. After that there was only going to be one winner, both Pats full backs looked out of sorts & i couldnt understand why at least one of them wasnt subbed (the left back looked injured & the right back was being torn inside out by the opposing winger). Had a great view for the injury time incident, and to be fair to the officials (not often one can say that) i thought they did all they could within the laws of the game, the ball to me (I was practically inline with the goal) hadn't crossed the line so the red card & peno was really all that could be gained from it, personally speaking as a neutral i enjoyed the drama of the miss, which to be fair would be better descried as a save as the keeper did well to get it clear. Have to say that was probably the best game i've seen over here, will definitely be back to see more.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligo23 View Post
    I'm sure Derry fans will back me up with Buttimer's antics in the Cup last year.
    Don't get me started on Buttimer after what Anto Flood alleged he said to him and other United players before last night's match
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Really awful performance and 2-0 flattered us as you say.
    Funny thing is that while we barely deserved the zero, I don't think Bohs deserved more than 2. They were very poor last night; often utterly disinterested and generally lacking in any sort of spark. Maybe they were just doing enough to win, but I think 2-0 was about fair. 4-0 would have given the impression Bohs played well throughout, which they really didn't.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    set pieces were the only time they genuinely looked threatening and especially so after Shamrock had to take off one of their centre backs (not sure of the names, apologies) who up to that point looked pretty dominant at the back for them, even at that i thought Shamrock looked comfortable (though certaily not in control) for all but maybe 15 minutes of the first half when Pats clearly had the better of the posession.
    It was Aiden Price who had to go off and he was playing very well (my mate at his first game also picked him out) but it benefitted Rovers in an attacking sense as Sives, who was at right back, is a natural central defender and offered nothing going forward, when Chambers came in at right back he was a huge attacking threat and I can see why O'Neill is persisting in putting him in there rather than centre mid.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast