Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 World Cup shameful moments

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just as an extension, the result put Algeria out, whereas Egypt were going home anyway I think (two points wouldn't have qualified them as a best third-placed team), so there wasn't the element of screwing a third party over.
    Yes, the difference was that with the Irish vs. the Dutch, both games were on at the same time so if the Egyptians had scored, everybody would have been exactly level on all counts and lots would have been drawn (as they were to decide that Ireland finished second ahead of the Dutch - which saw us play Romania and them play West Germany). The decision to stop competing had the potential to hurt the teams who made the decision.

With the game in 1982, as the Algerian game had already finished, there was no petential danger in coming to a prearranged (explicitly or implicitly) result. It was orchestrated cheating by two teams over 90 minutes.
    Last edited by osarusan; 06/07/2010 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'm going to ask the question to all involved in this debate

If you had been in Suarez' position on that goal line, would you have handled.

My answer is a resounding YES

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Definitely.

My reaction in the instant was, brilliant, well worth the red, he could be a hero. Will anyone in Uruguay care if they win the world cup? Or think he did the wrong thing? Hell no.

He might have been a bit more humble about it afterwards though and accepted that it wasn't the best way of winning a game.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just as an extension, the result put Algeria out, whereas Egypt were going home anyway I think (two points wouldn't have qualified them as a best third-placed team), so there wasn't the element of screwing a third party over.
    Presumably someone in another group lost out of qualification though.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Definitely.

My reaction in the instant was, brilliant, well worth the red, he could be a hero. Will anyone in Uruguay care if they win the world cup? Or think he did the wrong thing? Hell no.

He might have been a bit more humble about it afterwards though and accepted that it wasn't the best way of winning a game.
    agreed
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    Maradonna was a cheat, Henry is a cheat,(gaining a unfair advantage for his team in an incident that went unpunished by the officials) but to say Suarez (gaining a advantage for his team while the incident was punished and he was also punished in accordance with the rules of the game that is a straight red card and a penalty) is a cheat is imo total rubbish.

so, you are not a cheat when:

- you dont get away with it
    - others would do it

any other exemptions??
    Last edited by jbyrne; 06/07/2010 at 4:19 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Presumably someone in another group lost out of qualification though.
    Never thought of that.

Had it ended 2-1 to either team, us/Holland would have been exactly level with Austria and Scotland for the last knock-out spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    so, you are not a cheat when:

- you dont get away with it
    - others would do it

any other exemptions??
    If Suarez is intelligent enough to calculate in that the whole world is watching and the full consequences of his actions should he stop the ball with his hands remembering he was going to be sent off and concede a penalty, which by the looks of it as he as lead way, Ghana should score to win the game.
    Then his brilliant mind is wasted on football.

I think it was a natural/instinctive reaction IMO.
    From playing myself I would do everything I could to keep the ball out of the net then worry about the consequences afterwards.
    I can only presume he is of the same opinion.
    But for you with cheating in mind you should probably give up watching football or else go watch some Vatican city football or something because I don't think watching professional football is for you.

Obviously a game riddled with cheating would be too much for you.

Cheating in football:
    Player stealing a yard or three from free kicks or throw ins.
    Players diving with no contact involved
    Players faking injury
    Managers taking players off from the opposite side of the field to waste time.
    Defenders running the ball out of play having never touched the ball
    Players pulling shirts in any area of the field
    Players intentionally standing off-side
    Players waving an imaginary card at the ref to get another player sent off or booked.
    Players trying to intimidate the referee by shouting in their faces.

This probably gave you a hernia reading it with that sheltered life your living.
    But sure Ah-Well.....
    Last edited by gaiscíoch; 06/07/2010 at 10:34 PM.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm actually going to go with a recent one, I think Uruguay's handball against Ghana was atrocious after seeing that game and against the Dutch I have decided I hate Uruguay they are bitchy, unprofessional, cheating and mean spirited...

Having said that, seriously Thierry????? Seriously mate????? How can you feel anything but ashamed for what you did, at least people are taking the **** out of him for it.

Love this awesome animated clip of Thierry Henry having to face up to his crimes at the Pearly Gates ha ha ha Wish this happened to all of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxprvrFQpiE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    If Suarez is intelligent enough to calculate in that the whole world is watching and the full consequences of his actions should he stop the ball with his hands remembering he was going to be sent off and concede a penalty, which by the looks of it as he as lead way, Ghana should score to win the game.
    Then his brilliant mind is wasted on football.

I think it was a natural/instinctive reaction IMO.
    From playing myself I would do everything I could to keep the ball out of the net then worry about the consequences afterwards.
    I can only presume he is of the same opinion.
    But for you with cheating in mind you should probably give up watching football or else go watch some Vatican city football or something because I don't think watching professional football is for you.

Obviously a game riddled with cheating would be too much for you.

Cheating in football:
    Player stealing a yard or three from free kicks or throw ins.
    Players diving with no contact involved
    Players faking injury
    Managers taking players off from the opposite side of the field to waste time.
    Defenders running the ball out of play having never touched the ball
    Players pulling shirts in any area of the field
    Players intentionally standing off-side
    Players waving an imaginary card at the ref to get another player sent off or booked.
    Players trying to intimidate the referee by shouting in their faces.

This probably gave you a hernia reading it with that sheltered life your living.
    But sure Ah-Well.....
    actually you are right. we should all just accept cheating is part of the game. actually, we should insist that its written into the rule book.

personalising your response does nil for your case. pretty poor posting really

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well look at Rugby, how come they manage to eliminate most of the cheating??? A few good reasons.

1. If a player commits a BIG offence as per Thierry Henry, he can get penalized and cut off from play AFTER the match has played since teams can appeal to a panel.
    2. ONLY the team captain is allowed to approach the Referee, the ref can ask to talk to an offending player but they cannot go up to him without the ref allowing it (not only does this mean that you dont waste time with an entire team crowding the ref, it means that the team captains are responsible for more vigorous monitoring of their team since they dont want to have to go and get yelled at by the ref all the time).
    3. They have harsher penalties for clear offenses, like in the Uruguay case, the penalty should not have been a penalty kick, it should have been a goal awarded. If the Uruguay player had not handballed it, it would have gone in, clear case, give them the goal, just like a penalty try.

Also even though refs know that 60% of all close quarter encounters are bull****, they still blow free kicks all the time, get more real, dont blow your whistle and after a few games the guys will miraculously start getting up quicker after a tackle cos they realise they wont get free kicks...

I hope the moderators dont kill me but I wanted to embed my link before so you can at least see the opening frames but I dont know how, I am going to try to do it now so hopefully this works cos I think you guys would really have a laugh at this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPeteNZ View Post
    I'm actually going to go with a recent one, I think Uruguay's handball against Ghana was atrocious after seeing that game and against the Dutch I have decided I hate Uruguay they are bitchy, unprofessional, cheating and mean spirited...

Having said that, seriously Thierry????? Seriously mate????? How can you feel anything but ashamed for what you did, at least people are taking the **** out of him for it.

Love this awesome animated clip of Thierry Henry having to face up to his crimes at the Pearly Gates ha ha ha Wish this happened to all of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxprvrFQpiE
    Think Robben is as bitchy and mean spirited as any player I've seen. A real cheat if you ask me

What was the furore when the Uruguayan attempted the bicycle kick and caught the dutch guy?I know it hurt, but it was totally accidental. I've always liked Holland, but would hate to see this shower win it

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think Robben is as bitchy and mean spirited as any player I've seen. A real cheat if you ask me

What was the furore when the Uruguayan attempted the bicycle kick and caught the dutch guy?I know it hurt, but it was totally accidental. I've always liked Holland, but would hate to see this shower win it
    I dont disagree with the assessment of Robben ,but Urugay shouldnt even have got to play them after the ghana game. Ghana won as far as I am concerned but fifa doesnt reward fairplay they just want the biggest bucks and protect their jobs....

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Ghana won as far as I am concerned but fifa doesnt reward fairplay they just want the biggest bucks and protect their jobs....
    Fifa would have been delighted if Ghana had won, as it would have kept an African team in the tournament.
    Last edited by osarusan; 07/07/2010 at 1:14 PM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

Yeah def agree here. Lived in Holland, loved the people and the place, but I cant like this team at all. A Dutch team that has donkeys like Kuyt, Bommel, and De Jong, and divers all round the place - Persie and Robben. But more than that they actually havent played well in for any longer than 20 minutes in all of their games I have seen

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I dont disagree with the assessment of Robben ,but Urugay shouldnt even have got to play them after the ghana game. Ghana won as far as I am concerned but fifa doesnt reward fairplay they just want the biggest bucks and protect their jobs....
    Jeez what more do you want!!!!!! A penalty, and a man down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Maybe they'll played poor old Ireland in the next round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    well look at Rugby, how come they manage to eliminate most of the cheating??? A few good reasons.

1. If a player commits a BIG offence as per Thierry Henry, he can get penalized and cut off from play AFTER the match has played since teams can appeal to a panel.
    2. ONLY the team captain is allowed to approach the Referee, the ref can ask to talk to an offending player but they cannot go up to him without the ref allowing it (not only does this mean that you dont waste time with an entire team crowding the ref, it means that the team captains are responsible for more vigorous monitoring of their team since they dont want to have to go and get yelled at by the ref all the time).
    3. They have harsher penalties for clear offenses, like in the Uruguay case, the penalty should not have been a penalty kick, it should have been a goal awarded. If the Uruguay player had not handballed it, it would have gone in, clear case, give them the goal, just like a penalty try.

Also even though refs know that 60% of all close quarter encounters are bull****, they still blow free kicks all the time, get more real, dont blow your whistle and after a few games the guys will miraculously start getting up quicker after a tackle cos they realise they wont get free kicks...

I hope the moderators dont kill me but I wanted to embed my link before so you can at least see the opening frames but I dont know how, I am going to try to do it now so hopefully this works cos I think you guys would really have a laugh at this.

If you think Rugby is so great, go post on the "other sports thread". Next thing you'll want lineouts instead of throw-ins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Fifa would have been delighted if Ghana had won, as it would have kept an African team in the tournament.
    Spot on. In no way, shape or form are Uruguay one of the "bog boys" despite their great history. Tiny country with limited appeal elsewhere. Absolutely no doubt at all that FIFA would've prefered Ghana in the semis.

And of course they could do nothing about it...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    In no way, shape or form are Uruguay one of the "bog boys" despite their great history.
    I'm confused. Are you saying Suarez isn't a Gaelic footballer?

21. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast