Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Bohemians in the Champions League?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Bohemians in the Champions League?

Hello, I'm trying to get into the LOI and I've read that Bohemians won the League of Ireland last season so they'll be Ireland's sole entrant into the Champions League. Is this right? When do they play? I live abroad so it is tough to watch LOI matches but I'll make an extra effort to download the Champion's League matches and try to get into it a bit. Cheers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Yes Bohemians won the LOI for the last two seasons. They won the league and cup double in 2008 and the league and league cup in 2009 and won the North/South Setanta Cup competition just a few weeks ago. They are the LOI's only CL representatives. 3 other sides from the league qualify for the Europa League. This year those sides are Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers and Sporting Fingal. Bohs play their home matches in Dalymount Park which some would call the real home of Irish soccer which they were meant to move out of having been offered a very good deal at the height of the property bubble in Ireland and it was this money on which they subsequently went out and started building a very strong squad.

Like a lot of clubs in the league they paid over the odds in terms of wages for a couple of seasons and things have been tight for them lately as they sought to cut costs. The narrow defeat to Red Bull Salzburg in the 2nd qualifying round of the Champions League was rumoured by many to be the end of Bohemians as a leading force in the league but they got their finances in order before the end of the season. They have a strong squad this season but haven't got into their stride yet but are still within touching distance of the leaders and last Friday in the first game after the mid-season interval beat Dundalk 3-0 at home which may signal a turning point. Their manager Pat Fenlon has attracted interest from abroad and may not be around for much longer and players such as Brian Murphy and Gary Deegan have moved from Bohs to the championship where they both have been regular starters with their clubs.They have a great chance of progression in the Champions League this season having drawn TNS from Wales and hopes are high for a good European run.

Hope this helps, I'm sure Bohs supporters will give you more of a blow by blow account if you need it.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Many thanks to you and also the lad who was kind enough to private message me with a whole load of helpful links. Good luck to Bohemians, it sure would be great to have an Irish club in the Champions League proper.