366 Posts
    It's never nice when you have a perfectly good consolation goal chalked off

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I think to be fair if england's goal had stood it would have been a different ball game,
    Germany would have just conceded 2 goals, that would have scared the life out of them
    they would have settled for penalties I think. Certainty England would not have had to chase the game.
    It would have been a different spin, but Lumplard's efforts aside, what else did Ingleland actually do in the game? Germany could have had 6 or 7. The other lot were otherwise their normal soporific selves.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    It would have been a different spin, but Lumplard's efforts aside, what else did Ingleland actually do in the game? Germany could have had 6 or 7. The other lot were otherwise their normal soporific selves.

Well England did score two good goals, the same as Germany, but England would have had
    the advantage having come back from 2-0. It definitely would have changed things.
    As it was England had to press for another and Germany knew that.

Germany would have been rattled and demoralised, as it was England were rattled and
    demoralised. It was a key game changing moment, no doubt about it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Off topic so I apologise but watching BBC highlights tonight....they have this "Mottys moments" piece and the piece of commentary over the intro is Motty saying in a very high tone "look at these scenes, look at these scenes"

Who can guess what game or moment that commentary was on????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Off topic so I apologise but watching BBC highlights tonight....they have this "Mottys moments" piece and the piece of commentary over the intro is Motty saying in a very high tone "look at these scenes, look at these scenes"

Keane v Germany in 2002.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post

Germany 1 - 5 England
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Keane v Germany in 2002.
    This is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQOoSUbnBs

I watched this in my flat in Japan, and as I was rather animated in the wake of the goal (jumped down on my knees to celebrate, landed on the edge of a plastic video cassette holder and actually cut myself quite badly), for a long time I thought he'd said 'look at what it means' rather than look at these scenes'.
    Last edited by osarusan; 29/06/2010 at 12:20 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Well England did score two good goals, the same as Germany, but England would have had
    the advantage having come back from 2-0. It definitely would have changed things.

Germany would have been rattled and demoralised, as it was England were rattled and
    England had 4 games to play football, didnt do it. Over rated bottlers

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts

The flip side is taht England would have sat back, happy that they'd gotten themselves back into the game, allowed the Germans regroup at half time (just five minutes away) and then been blown away in the second half as happened. How many times have you seen teams battle back only to ease off before the job is fully done? It's pure speculation. England were rubbish throughout and can't have any complaints (and to be fair, there's practically no complaints bar about the team itself)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Keane v Germany in 2002.
    Yip got it in one.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    John Giles

"It's a no-brainer. Rooney is a great player and can prove himself one of the greatest we have ever seen. When Cristiano Ronaldo was at United, Rooney was often asked to play in positions he might not have liked so much. Now he is coming into his own. Best of his English generation? It's another no-brainer."

That was before the World Cup. In February of this year. His theory is now that Rooney is only good because he plays with better players around him at Man U (e..g. Berbetov, Nani, Carrick ???). Same with Gerrard (yet he has consistently slagged off the Liverpool team (Torres apart) as being hopeless. Bunkum.

I think a lot of the inept displays of England has to go down to Capello and Rooney carrying a knock. He was not the Wayne Rooney we know who played in a League where the teams have contested (this year apart) most CL finals. It is a strong league. Heskey up front ffs. He is a donkey and should be kept on only to keep the grass short. Gerrard not playing in his usual Liverpool position. Rob Green - a friend of mine in a changing room before the game said England would pay dearly for his selection (not hindsight). They have weakenesses no doubt. Glen Johnson totally overrated. A midfield lacking creativity but they should have done better.

England are a reasonable side and not 4-2 worse than Germany so something else was wrong.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    This is basically the same group of players that failed to qualify for the last European Championships, getting to the last 16 in the world cup represents a step forward for them.

You wouldn't think it listening to the British media though..........
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123