Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,041 to 1,058 of 1058

Thread: Champions League/Europa League draws 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    If Boh's and Shamrocks Rovers were getting to the play-offs most season's and getting some big games, it would raise their profiles. I have to stress that it'd have to be over a few seasons and not just a once off. It would most likely have a good affect on their attendances but also when sides play them around the country it'd be a bigger fixture.
    Shamrock Rovers had a decent European campaign this season but they have go to follow it up next season or in a way they are back to square one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    If Boh's and Shamrocks Rovers were getting to the play-offs most season's and getting some big games, it would raise their profiles. I have to stress that it'd have to be over a few seasons and not just a once off. It would most likely have a good affect on their attendances but also when sides play them around the country it'd be a bigger fixture.
    Shamrock Rovers had a decent European campaign this season but they have go to follow it up next season or in a way they are back to square one.
    But it's this sort of thinking that leads clubs to overreach themselves and go the way of Shelbourne. There are far more cost-effective ways of raising the profile of a club than chasing regular European success, as nice as that would be! Once the clubs are on a sustainable footing, then we can think about getting solid European performances on a regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    But it's this sort of thinking that leads clubs to overreach themselves and go the way of Shelbourne. There are far more cost-effective ways of raising the profile of a club than chasing regular European success, as nice as that would be! Once the clubs are on a sustainable footing, then we can think about getting solid European performances on a regular basis.
    I agree with that as well, it's a hard one. Both have to go hand in hand. It's a vicious cycle. For club's to be more successful, they need more support. They will only get the more support if they become more successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I agree with that as well, it's a hard one. Both have to go hand in hand. It's a vicious cycle. For club's to be more successful, they need more support. They will only get the more support if they become more successful.
    I'd have to disagree with that. Teams like Port Vale and Scunthorpe are far less conventionally successful than teams in Ireland with similar catchment areas, but they still pull in higher crowds than every side in Ireland, even in spite of competition from bigger and more successful teams in the same region, or even the same city. The difference there is that the clubs are, or have been, an integral part of the fabric of the community, building a culture of attending games. I think it's possibly easier, probably cheaper, and definitely less risky to try and boost attendances this way, while thinking of Europe as a nice possible bonus, certainly not the greatest and only goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    There is that side of it as well, I think a youth structure need to be put in place and work from that level up. For the league to, and it's clubs, it's only through European football that there will be box office stuff. More big draws and more coverage of league of Ireland sides. They both need to be worked on. I would see group stages as bonus territory at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I would see group stages as bonus territory at the moment.
    Group stages are fantasy territory. The champions have a good chance of making the Europa playoff round but when you consider that Rovers got Juventus the round before that this year, getting past the kind of teams that in the playoff round is an enormous ask.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Group stages are fantasy territory. The champions have a good chance of making the Europa playoff round but when you consider that Rovers got Juventus the round before that this year, getting past the kind of teams that in the playoff round is an enormous ask.
    Not entirely. Boh's were beaten by a TNS side they should not have fallen to. TNS lost their next round but dropped into the Europa League play-offs. Had Boh's been there, they'd have given CSKA Sofia a better game. Shamrock Rovers would have as well. It's a path our champions should be capable of.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Bohs would have given CSKA Sofia a tougher game than a team who hammered Bohs?

Rose-tinted glasses there, I'm afraid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Not entirely. Boh's were beaten by a TNS side they should not have fallen to. TNS lost their next round but dropped into the Europa League play-offs. Had Boh's been there, they'd have given CSKA Sofia a better game. Shamrock Rovers would have as well. It's a path our champions should be capable of.
    You base this assertion on what? Should have, would have, could have? TNS beat them fair and square over two legs.
    You should become a chairman at a LoI club. Your unrealistic attitude would fit right in.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Well, it's true, hat's off to TNS they did their job on the night but it was very poor by Boh's. Could have, should have, would have is I still consider Boh's to be a better side than TNS, they lost on the night yes but they are still a better side. Based on that, I think they would have given CSKA Sofia a better game and I don't believe it to be rose-tinted glasses here.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's basically ignoring everything you've just seen and imagining something else to be the case. It's not as if TNS squeaked past Bohs; they're a full-time team who put in a good showing in Dalyer - even if Bohs could have won by more - and who hammered them in Wales. If you want to ignore those facts, then fire ahead. But don't expect anyone to take you too seriously.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bohs did nothing in either match to suggest they could acquit themselves well against Anderlecht or CSKA (or whoever else they may have drawn).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If Boh's and Shamrocks Rovers were getting to the play-offs most season's and getting some big games, it would raise their profiles.
    If they built 50,000 seat stadiums that'd raise their profile too. As likely to happen too
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    From supporting a team that chased the European dream, I know how painful it is when the things go wrong. Clubs shouldn't be looking to crack Europe each year and see it as the ultimate goal. Don't get me wrong the success and the European nights were great and if asked back then if I would have swapped it for a team that was financially ok I would have told you were to go.

It seems every successful club thinks we'll be the ones to crack it, we were better than previous clubs. They then go and pump loads of borrowed cash into trying to acheive it and then turn to the supporters to bail them out when it goes wrong.

I think it was when we were playing Kiev, Doolin said something like - it cost 2/3 million a year to run a LOI club, Sunderland wouldn't even pay that for a fullback and we'll get closer to Champions league than they ever will. Looking back I often think that statement showed the mentality the club and is the reason why we are in the position we are today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I'd have to disagree with that. Teams like Port Vale and Scunthorpe are far less conventionally successful than teams in Ireland with similar catchment areas, but they still pull in higher crowds than every side in Ireland, even in spite of competition from bigger and more successful teams in the same region, or even the same city. The difference there is that the clubs are, or have been, an integral part of the fabric of the community, building a culture of attending games. I think it's possibly easier, probably cheaper, and definitely less risky to try and boost attendances this way, while thinking of Europe as a nice possible bonus, certainly not the greatest and only goal.
    Its building the culture of attending games thats everything though. In England the culture is there of supporting your local team, that culture isn't in Ireland and tbh I can't see it happening in the future either. Its English football first for the vast majority, a certain percentage of fans will come out for big league and cup games for most clubs but not the mundane league games where you need the crowds to be coming in. Other clubs have build a somewhat sustainable supporter base but you'd wonder is it a house of cards whereby if success drys up so will the fans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd View Post
    Its building the culture of attending games thats everything though. In England the culture is there of supporting your local team, that culture isn't in Ireland and tbh I can't see it happening in the future either. Its English football first for the vast majority, a certain percentage of fans will come out for big league and cup games for most clubs but not the mundane league games where you need the crowds to be coming in. Other clubs have build a somewhat sustainable supporter base but you'd wonder is it a house of cards whereby if success drys up so will the fans?
    It's not like Irish people are fundamentally different to the English or the Scots though, or the Norwegians, or the Swedes, as much as many would like to buy into the myth that we are a world apart from anyone else. If they can build a culture of attending games, so can we. When you get several thousand Norwegians willing to travel from Oslo to Tromsø for a mid-table league game, there must be some way of getting the same number of Irish people ten minutes down the road for a top of the table clash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I’m just generalising here but as a whole Irish people are sheep/lemmings afraid to do something different and believe most what the media tells them. When it comes to football it’s the same. The one thing though other countries have is a thriving fan/supporters scene you will often see 50% of the attendance in the curva. It’s not uncommon to have over 90% of travelling supporters who will be involved in the supporter scene. This is just another thing which has never taken of here just like a culture of attending games and most likely won’t. There are many reasons why there isn’t a culture of attending games in Ireland and it’s all been done to death on sites like this. People involved at clubs need to forget about the “league” and how it can be “improved” just concentrate on their own club, supporters and community and the rest will take care of it’s self

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Perhaps the parentheses were justified for "improved", but I don't think you can argue with the fact that we have a league!

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253