Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How awful are RTE's panellists?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    I agree on Hamann. Very listenable for such a stoic character. Ardiles is supposed to turn up too at some point. Plus, you never know when Souness will make molestation analogies.
    Doing the pundit role for SABC here, not bad from the games I've seen him. John Barnes is doing it here on one of the other channels and is actually pretty good, which has really surprised me.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mjjxr

Danny Baker - not too bad
    Songs that the North Korean fans might chant............................................

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Not a huge fan of Ronnie Whelan, but thought he was excellent yesterday. Like him, I also noticed that there is an awful lot of messed up passing in this world cup, the simple straight passes, and its an ability thing rather than the ball.
    It's funny reading the Liverpool FC message boards when the RTE panel have been analysing a Liverpool game - they all think there's a grand conspiracy to discredit the club, and doubtless their lowly finish this year is vindication that Billo et al were into some serious dodgy voodoo.

Ronnie has been turned into a pariah - it's almost as if any criticism is treason. I think that's generally the sort of person BBC and ITV panels cater to - the message board lunatic fringe. I'm sure 90% of English fans are fully capable of realising the team's shortcomings and are just as frustrated with the lack of analysis as we are.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    BBC and ITV have always been a bit suspect, Sky are just beyond rescue, though the deification of RTE is not justified on current or past form. What the author of the missive (or rather dismissive) on BBC and ITV gets right is the ignorance of anything outside of the known world - ie the sky leagues and the european champions and top four league. He even betrays his own bias when slagging off the USA (re Keegan) and this was evident on RTE. Journeymen, pub team, not good enough for the Premier League - this isn't analysis, it's stupidity and ignorance of the highest degree. Most of the USA players have all travelled far and wide to play football, many were trained in Germany and came through the system there, yet this is deemed "sub standard" - unlike the failure that is the English Academy system.

It's frustrating watching the panel rumble around and Bill doing the stirring, Dunphy bowing to the god that is Giles and Giles "in my day" throw backs. For sure RTE does bring a different colour to it, yet the Irish and British coverage is lagging far behind that you find on German or Croatian tv (Igor Stimac turns to friend and mentor Blazevic during a discussion on the triple yellow in the last world cup and says - "If I were his coach I'd break his neck for that." Blazevic - "If you were the coach of the national team they'd break their own necks with ropes."). While it was okay for the common fan to rejoice in France's defeat last night, purely by being professional the RTE panel should have been removed from it - however they kept playing to the audience like a gurning clowns. Okay, we know France deserve what's coming to them, but at least be professional and show some balance. Every single person I know (abroad) was against France, because of November, but on German, Russian and Croatian tv (thank you Eurovision) it was as if there was a different game going on than that covered on RTE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Dunphy bites back............................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClEq0Q6ycs0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/a...gentina-france

Reaction to the French game, with the always excellent James Richardson and Irelands Barry Glendenning

(Maradona to be the new manager of Liverpool.LOLOLOL - in fact it makes perfect sense!!!)
    Last edited by bennocelt; 18/06/2010 at 7:09 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Dunphy clearly wrong about Mexico's first goal last night. Nobody else anywhere doubting that it was the right decision. O'Herlihy, as usual, slightly bamboozled. I do think the RTE panel is clearly the best - but surely they should have a basic understanding of the offside rule.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The RTE Panel is entertainment masquerading as "calling as it is" and "serious analysis" and is just the subjective views of a self-publicist and father time aided and abetted by a PR man who supports Enda Kenny. The one AND only time where there was an actual divergence of views between mutt, jeff and LAughing Bill was the Saipan affair. Otherwise it's the "I agree with John" and "I agree with Eamonn show" with Laughing Bill bowing to their indepth knowledge.

I don't give a toss about their views on the Premiership or the World Cup etc etc What has always upset me is that for 25+ plus years the national broadcaster has assisted 3 people crucify every manager of the national team without a contrary opinion. Laughing Bill always sharpened the knives and Mutt and Jeff when proceeded to administer the stab wounds. It got to the pitiful extreme that at the end of the French debacle Laughing Bill said it was "a night to celebrate" because the team had played "like the panel said it should always have" and then he signed off with the smug look and inane smile. I had been at the game and only saw it when I got home and had to control myself. Laughing Bill still takes the odd slap at Charlton even though that era is well gone. It is personal between me and him/RTE. They (Dunphy and Giles) are entitled to their opinion but when the compere joins in and RTE don't add balance (belatedly with Souness), it really p++s me off and always had.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Seriously owlsfan, have you watched any of the other punditry teams available? As soon as the alert mail popped into my inbox with the phrase "laughing Bill" I knew it was you!

Just my comparisons so far. On BBC, Shearer is a joke "don't know anything about them", "my expert analysis" , FFS he asked the question "So when you were segregated, how did you feel about that?" in his real South Africa segment. Hansen has become a parody of what he used to be and complains about being paid to fly to South Africa, stay in a top class hotel, and watch football. In the opposite corner Lineker gurns at the camera and works on his tan. The threat of losing England internationals because of over criticism of the team has nullified their opinions to the point of banality. I've said it before and I'll say it again with regard to critics - once you lose your objectivity, you lose your credibility.

Before the South Africa - Uruguay game, they spent 20 minutes talking about the national holiday in South Africa, and fair enough, it was relevant to the day, and the game itself. But it meant spending less than 10 minutes on the build up to the game, and all that was footage of Pienaar in the Premiership, and a short mention on Forlan's time at United. RTE had spent the same time discussing the South African goalkeeper's contribution to play, and how it aided their counter attacking game, which was based on pace through the middle then moved on to analysing Uruguay. I switched over to BBC to compare and contrast at this point, so I can't say how that went.

I've only seen ITV's team after the England game, Keegan was trying to convince us that the England performance VS the USA would have beaten any other team (Spain? Argentina? Brazil?), as for Southgate, check out what the excellent zonalmarking.net has to say about his contributions to date
    from http://twitter.com/Zonal_Marking/statuses/16235055673
    Delighted ITV have hired Gareth Southgate to provide insights like, "Sometimes it just feels like...I don't know...go oooon"
    from http://twitter.com/Zonal_Marking/statuses/16235141274
    Every time Gareth Southgate opens his mouth, his "Winston Churchill / Iain Duncan Smith" gag about Sven seems more and more hypocritical...
    I watched the Nigeria - Greece game on a stream from ESPN America. They had Premiership manager Roberto Martinez and South African international Shaun Bartlett in the studio. There was more time given to the ad break than any kind of analysis from two respected, relevant professionals.

An irish born friend of mine is living in Sweden and has access to RTE through eurovisionsports.tv. This is a direct quote from him
    I've got the games on RTE and SVT- RTE wipe the floor with any other punditry I've seen.
    The panel on RTE aren't perfect, but they're a damn sight better than anything else on offer at the moment.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/06/2010 at 12:44 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    That 'Shearer goes to meet the real South Africa' yesterday was painful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Seriously owlsfan, have you watched any of the other punditry teams available? As soon as the alert mail popped into my inbox with the phrase "laughing Bill" I knew it was you!.

- once you lose your objectivity, you lose your credibility.!.
    I rest my case.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I rest my case.
    Congratulations Lionel Hutz, attorney at law! All you've done is say over and over (and over, and over, etc) that RTE are terrible. Which they're not, and there's evidence that they actually offer one of the best analysis available.
    At the very least you could provide some evidence that any of the other punditry options are superior.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/06/2010 at 12:41 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran Burke View Post
    Can't stand rte coverage in general Thats why I watch UTV or BBC but I do switch over at times to see what Dunphy has to say knowing it's usualy contraversial. But the next time I hear Mick mcarthy I defo switching over to rte ..... Can't beat sky
    can't beat sky...? you having a laugh? Redknapp is a serious pain in the hole

I love the lads on RTE, by far the most entertaining

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I have to not complain about RTE now, but has anyone else gotten Eurovision to work? It was down for the last game and I think for this one too. Otherwise I'm stuck listening to two clowns in a lanugage I don't know speaking from a studio a couple of streets away! Help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    The panel on RTE aren't perfect, but they're a damn sight better than anything else on offer at the moment.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 18/06/2010 at 2:16 PM. Reason: broken quote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I have to not complain about RTE now, but has anyone else gotten Eurovision to work? It was down for the last game and I think for this one too. Otherwise I'm stuck listening to two clowns in a lanugage I don't know speaking from a studio a couple of streets away! Help!
    You in dublin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Congratulations Lionel Hutz, attorney at law! All you've done is say over and over (and over, and over, etc) that RTE are terrible. Which they're not, and there's evidence that they actually offer one of the best analysis available.
    At the very least you could provide some evidence that any of the other punditry options are superior.

Well Tets you just have to look at half time on the BBC. Hansen says "now we know how to break the two banks of four. Play it through them (up the middle)"
    I swear Giles was on about this a few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

and the BBC comentary - "He is fluent in English" - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Did you actually read what I said? I said it's the constant sniping at the encumbent Irish manager without any balance that has driven me demented over the years. I don't deny that they are entertaining but so is Coco the Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennocelt
    Well Tets you just have to look at half time on the BBC. Hansen says "now we know how to break the two banks of four. Play it through them (up the middle)"
    I swear Giles was on about this a few weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought Giles (supported by Dunphy) were advocating beating defensive teams by getting the ball out wide. They certainly were for the Brazil vs Korea game.

It's a tried and trusted formula. Laughing Bill says something like "Ronaldo is the best player in the world". Giles frowns and tugs at his jacket. Dunphy says he talking rubbish and launches in to a tirade about Ronaldo and Giles supports him and the whole programme is devoted to this theme.

Take an Irish game: Laughing Bill says something like is the style of play helping Ireland or should so and so player be player. DUnphy launches in to a tirade against the Manager and his style of play and Giles agree and the whole programme is devoted to this theme. If the Irish team plays well it is down to the players.

Take a World Cup game. Laughing Bill reads some comment from some obscure journalist or from the back of a Rice Krispies packet. Dunphy goes balistic and Giles says (no matter what the team is, especially if it a latin team) that the team is weak at the back and the game is all about getting the ball down and playing.

Entertaining of course - I watch it since I can't understand the French panelists the BBC have - but at least the latter have Lineker who has actually played at a world cup unlike either of the 3 on the RTE Panel two of whom played when dinasaurs ruled the earth.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 18/06/2010 at 4:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I thought Giles (supported by Dunphy) were advocating beating defensive teams by getting the ball out wide. They certainly were for the Brazil vs Korea game.
    Well he definitely mentioned it around the start of the Wcup - sorry cant remember the actual game. Had the graphics and the players with the fancy circles and all - was impressive

An obvious tactic - one would only have to see the Mexico - England game to see how easy the Mexicans played it through the english def/mid, but the way Hasen was on about it today was hilarious

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Did you actually read what I said? I said it's the constant sniping at the encumbent Irish manager without any balance that has driven me demented over the years. I don't deny that they are entertaining but so is Coco the Clown.
    Of course I read it, I've read it in every other post from you. Like I said, as soon as I saw the phrase "laughing Bill" in my inbox, I knew it was from you.

Brazil's first goal came from getting the ball out wide, against a defensive side. Second goal was a through ball outside of the full back, i.e. getting the ball out wide. So Giles was right.

It's a tried and trusted formula. Laughing Bill says something like "Ronaldo is the best player in the world". Giles frowns and tugs at his jacket. Dunphy says he talking rubbish and launches in to a tirade about Ronaldo and Giles supports him and the whole programme is devoted to this theme.
    Ronaldo's rarely mentioned outside of games he's involved in, this season his absence was discussed in Man United games because they were missing his influence on the game. Kaka was similarly mentioned a few times in AC Milan games.

Take an Irish game: Laughing Bill says something like is the style of play helping Ireland or should so and so player be player. DUnphy launches in to a tirade against the Manager and his style of play and Giles agree and the whole programme is devoted to this theme. If the Irish team plays well it is down to the players.
    I can't really comment on this since I go to Irish games and miss the commentary on the games

Take a World Cup game. Laughing Bill reads some comment from some obscure journalist or from the back of a Rice Krispies packet. Dunphy goes balistic and Giles says (no matter what the team is, especially if it a latin team) that the team is weak at the back and the game is all about getting the ball down and playing.
    Usually backed up by footage of said team displaying a weakness at the back. What's wrong with getting the ball down and playing? Arsenal and Barcelona both play that way and it's fantastic to watch.

Entertaining of course - I watch it since I can't understand the French panelists the BBC have - but at least the latter have Lineker who has actually played at a world cup unlike either of the 3 on the RTE Panel two of whom played when dinasaurs ruled the earth.
    There are no French panelists on BBC - Vieira and Desailly are on ITV. Lineker's about as interesting as dried paint and as for World Cup experience - RTE panelists Irwin, Souness, and now Hamann have all played at the World Cup.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast