Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAI object to Kierans as Drogs manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Kierans is rejected as new drogs manager by arbitration committee according to their website

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/20.../news_011.html

The Independent Licensing Committee met this evening to consider Drogheda United's submission regarding a derogation to enable Darius Kierans to continue as manager of Drogheda United. The board has just been informed that its submission has been rejected. The club has until the 14th of July to appoint an alternative manager or can appeal the decision within the next five days. The board made strong representations to the Independent Licensing Committee and is naturally disappointed with the decision and will be considering its options over the coming days. The board's request to be represented at the hearing was refused.
    We would ask all supporters to turn out in large numbers to the match on Friday night in support of Darius and the team.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Personally I wouldn't have an issue with him being allowed to continue for the rest of the season as long as he's started on the course.

Interesting to note though, he's been in charge of Drogs youth teams for years with no coaching badges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Interesting to note though, he's been in charge of Drogs youth teams for years with no coaching badges.
    Surely he had the requisite badges for that level (which I assume is lower than LOI level)?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Surely he had the requisite badges for that level (which I assume is lower than LOI level)?
    Probably, but without an A licence. Shows the general Irish (and British) casual attitude to such things. Interesting quote from the Guardian recently...

There are 2.25 million players in England and only one Uefa-qualified coach for every 812 people playing the game. Spain, the World Cup favourites, have 408,134 players, giving a ratio of 1:17. In Italy, the world champions, the ratio is 1:48, in France it is 1:96, Germany 1:150 and even Greece, the Euro 2004 winners, have only 180,000 registered players for their 1,100 coaches, a ratio of 1:135.

I'd love to know the ratio in Ireland.
    Last edited by seand; 24/06/2010 at 10:03 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I'd love to know the ratio in Ireland.[/QUOTE]

I'd presume the FAI should have that answer........... but chances are they don't know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    seems very unfair on the face of it but it must mean that clubs can no longer employ managers without this qualification and if thats the rule at the beginning of the season then nobody can complain. however this in my humble opioion is licensing been giving to much say in football. what next
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Without wanting to incur the wrath of Drogheda fans, if (and I repeat if) the FAI have tightened up the rules regarding coaching badges for managers and made that known to all clubs, then did Drogheda appoint Kierans because they were unaware of it, or because they thought they'd get 'a nod and a wink' from the FAI?

If this is part of a general and transparent move away from 'ah shur you're grand' management so common in this country in general and in the FAI, then I wouldn't criticise them too much over this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    would agree but are we setting the bar to high to quick, getting your A licence is not easy and the pool of potential managers is not that big
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Is it not the exact same as fielding an illegible player so?

Someone get the asteriks out, we'll have 3 points and a 3-0 win for the game Kierans was in charge at in Tallaght, thanks very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    would agree but are we setting the bar to high to quick, getting your A licence is not easy and the pool of potential managers is not that big
    But it hasn't been a quick move. Clubs have had 3 years notice of this, as the required badge was gradually moved up.

As osarasun said, Drogheda obviously thought they'd be "grand", so fair play to the FAI for sticking to their rules.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    isnt that why Dermot Keely quit as Shelbourne manager as next season his special disposition ( from his long experience in the game) will expire and he would have to be fully qualified to manage. Hats off to the FAI. That was the reason why we changed manager last preseason as Gareth Cronin didnt have a UEFA licence either and expected the club to pay for his education which we declined.Tony Cousins on the other hand was qualified to manage.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    isnt that why Dermot Keely quit as Shelbourne manager as next season his special disposition ( from his long experience in the game) will expire and he would have to be fully qualified to manage. Hats off to the FAI. That was the reason why we changed manager last preseason as Gareth Cronin didnt have a UEFA licence either and expected the club to pay for his education which we declined.Tony Cousins on the other hand was qualified to manage.
    Keely quit Shels because they're were struggling under him, felt he went as far he could them. He did say in one of his recent Sun articles that it was unlikely he would have been managing in 2011 anyway but he did acknowledge he has been under increasing pressure from the FAI and Packie Bonner to get his badges. He said he didn't believe in coaching badges, considers himself a manager not a coach etc. but AFAIK the immunity for experienced managers will remain for the foreseeable future unless UEFA implement a strict no tolerance policy towards experienced managers without their badges.
    Last edited by total hoofball; 24/06/2010 at 10:06 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Without wanting to incur the wrath of Drogheda fans, if (and I repeat if) the FAI have tightened up the rules regarding coaching badges for managers and made that known to all clubs, then did Drogheda appoint Kierans because they were unaware of it, or because they thought they'd get 'a nod and a wink' from the FAI?

If this is part of a general and transparent move away from 'ah shur you're grand' management so common in this country in general and in the FAI, then I wouldn't criticise them too much over this.

Think your prettty much spot on there tbh . Its a pain in the hole but what can we do .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    its apparent that the Drogs board made a complete ****-up by appointing kierans,pretty amateur stuff.The ILC said in their judgement that before he was given the position the FAI had warned them that he wasnt a qualified candidate for the job.
    Alan matthews said(on his departure from DUFC) that it was a premier leauge team that was basicaly being run by a supporters club and you have to agree with him after this gaffe.
    If i was a Drog fan i would be livid and would be demanding a head or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    rules are rules, i know, but i cant help but feel a bit sorry for Drogs fans in this considering the strong start Kierans had made as manager.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I feel sorry for Drogs too........................wonder did Stan have all these coaching badges when the FAI gave him the top job????

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Alex Ferguson has no coaching badges - doesn't stop him managing that mob across the water.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Good assessment and fully agree. Probably a "nod and a wink for this season" thought rather than unaware, particularly seeing as we had a fully qualified manager who chose to walk away. There's not a lot of options out there particularly with a small budget. What if none of the qualified manager's will come for a small wage? Are we allowed to break the budget - think not.

Anyway Darius was always allowed be in charge for 12 weeks as a caretaker manager. So no asterisks just yet.
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    Alex Ferguson has no coaching badges - doesn't stop him managing that mob across the water.
    Why are you making up lies?
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast