Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Girls in Green

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Girls in Green

The Republic of Ireland Womens team won their Group 5 European Qualification game on Saturday by 8 goals to 1 against Croatia on Saturday April 10 at Richmond Park.
    On May 1 they travel to take on Romania in Bucharest it is now a must win game.
    The following Sunday May 9 They play Bosnia in Sarajevo
    Given the Bosnians were beaten 6-0 in Dublin it is safe to describe the Irish as slight favourites in this game.

The last home game takes place on June 25th in Dublin against Malta. Given the Irish won the away game 9-0 draw your own conclusions.
    If you'd like to see an Irish team that is on it's way to better things in June come on and support the girls... it was only €5 in last night

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heard an interesting story from a bloke at work...

He told me his cousin was a member of the Ireland ladies team, but recently left the squad because a substantial number of her team-mates were trying to be a bit too 'friendly' with her.

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a strong team ethic.......
    Maybe you should put her on a leash, agent-man.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeSausagepump
    Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a strong team ethic.......
    Yeah and you don't get that sort of thing in the lads team?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Yeah and you don't get that sort of thing in the lads team?
    Think you've been around long enough to know that you do Lopez. You would have seen one prominent former player. And sorry but I'm not going to name him on a public forum.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Despite the curiosity and entertainment value, as far as most of us are concerned, as long as they're all over 16, fair play to them. Nobody's going to cease getting my support because they 'bat for the other side.' I've spotted a couple amongst the fans although the pink triangle in the middle of a tricolour hung on the wall at the Havelock End may be some years away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Despite the curiosity and entertainment value, as far as most of us are concerned, as long as they're all over 16, fair play to them. Nobody's going to cease getting my support because they 'bat for the other side.' I've spotted a couple amongst the fans although the pink triangle in the middle of a tricolour hung on the wall at the Havelock End may be some years away.
    no problem here either - btw it was only one player but there were a couple of incidents which had to be very carefully handled by the F.A.I. and which did not go public. I only know sketchy details anyway.

I took great amusements asking Pats fans a few years back - "which 2 St Pats defenders are an item?" - soem interesting answers too - until I pointed out that a member of the men's senior team was dating a member of the women's team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    no problem here either - btw it was only one player but there were a couple of incidents which had to be very carefully handled by the F.A.I. and which did not go public. I only know sketchy details anyway.
    Yeah. The FAI have had enough experience in handling their own 'incidents' that I have no doubt they did a great job. Now you've alerted my interest. Not naming the player(s) of course but I'd be interested in the sketchy details if you can offer them (go on!, go on!, go on!). I take it's a bit more than pipe and slippers and some petty fingers between two consenting adults.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    [QUOTE=lopez). I take it's a bit more than pipe and slippers and some petty fingers between two consenting adults. [/QUOTE]

oh yeah ,apparantly the whole thing started with a fumble for the "soap on a rope" and it just spiralled out of hand from there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    They handled it well enough to keep it out of the papers anyway - not as exciting as you'd think I'm afraid.

He made no efforts akaik to encourage another player to do anything - all was between consenting adults however he was not that discreet in Dublin and efforts had to be made to keep it out of the papers.

BTW there was another incident back in the 80's with 2 teammates from a reasonably big club being caught in bed together by the wife of one of them - he incidently was eligibile to play for us (I believe) but never got capped.

Numerous accounts also of our players womanising before and after games - Limerick before the Austria game in 95 was legendary not to mention a sunday newspaper pulling a story late on re a prominet Irish football personality. Jack's decision to attend Northern Ireland v Latvia at Windsor Park on the wednesday before the Austria game probably cost us the Austria match as they players were knackered in the last 20 minutes due to the 2 nights out in Limerick.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the Girls In Green

Yes Gary Spain is right.

A Former St. Pat's player for the men's team was dating a member of their women's team in the late 1990's. Sadly neither plays for St.Pat's anymore and they are also no longer an item.