Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup predictions

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    England. The gift that keeps on giving. Woeful stuff. They are very lucky they avoided some of the mid ranked teams that have a half decent forward line otherwise they would be out already. And Carragher and Terry are going to have real problems with the Slovnian front line.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Hard to see them beating Slovenia on that performance, they would need a considerable improvement, and it's hard to
    see where that is coming from,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    England. The gift that keeps on giving. Woeful stuff. They are very lucky they avoided some of the mid ranked teams that have a half decent forward line otherwise they would be out already. And Carragher and Terry are going to have real problems with the Slovnian front line.
    Carragher won't play after collecting his second booking against Algeria. Dawson will make his international debut, and England will play their third central defensive partnership in three games, in a must win game against what looks like the strongest team in that group, or at least the only team that has won.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    My prediction was only out by 8 goals. On such fine margins...

Fair play Noely, I just couldn't see a team that lost 4-0 to Mali doing that, and so comfortably. Only one team tonight was comfortable with the ball. That game for them was probably what our 0-0 with Egypt felt like. Shameful...throws pencil

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    or at least the only team that has won.
    and certainly the team that likes having the ball best.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Jesus England were poor, no player apart from James impressed. I was impressed with the number 2 for Algeria, read everything in defence and was first to every ball - brilliant. Still think Algeria are muck so what are England!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be very hard for them today as I cant see them scoring if they persist with that system. Must start Cole and Defoe.

And Rooney is a disgrace mouthing off to the fans. They have travelled half way round the world and have a right to boo them off in the end. Not as if the English fans were not singing their hearts out for most of the game. I would be really peed off with him if I was an English fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I was impressed with the number 2 for Algeria, read everything in defence and was first to every ball - brilliant.
    Christ - he plays for rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    England to fail to get out of group, look to be in terrible form and the group is not as easy as people seem to think.
    Just like the point out my prediction, the lads in work have spent the last week laughing at me telling the England would only draw with Algeria, I can see the last game ending in a draw too and the USA beating Algeria to top the group.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    My prediction was only out by 8 goals. On such fine margins...
    I'd say your disappointment is matched only by Sir David and the two princes who were in attendance. You don't waste the time of knights and royalty with such displays.

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Christ - he plays for rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
    Never. Christ is Celtic through and through.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    It's easy to crow about beating the same team that England struggled to make an impression against, but the simple truth is that there is very little comparison between the two Algerian sides that lined out three weeks apart.
    Code:
    VS Ireland             VS England                   
    Chaouchi (M'Bohli 66)  M'Bolhi                      
    Guedioura              Bougherra                    
    Belhadj (Boudebouz 66) Belhadj                      
    Bellaid                Yahia                        
    Mansouri (Kadir 66)    Kadir                        
    Mesbah                 Yebda (Mesbah 88)           
    Lacen                  Lacen                        
    Halliche               Halliche                     
    Ghezzal (Abdoun 77)    Boudebouz(Abdoun 74)        
    Ziani                  Ziani (Guedioura 81)        
    Djebour (Saifi 58)     Matmour
    (note that I've ordered these players so they line up beside each other, other than the keeper I've no idea who played where against Ireland)

First of all, there were only 4 starters in common. It's entirely possible that the Ireland game was an audition the rest of the starters, and of those only Guedioura played any part as a late sub. The fact that a defensive midfielder/right full was brought on for an attacking midfielder with nine minutes to go tells you what his role was expected to be.

From the five subs at the RDS, only Saifi played no part against England (he was an unused sub). M'Bohli, Kadir and Boudebouz all played a little under a half hour in Dublin and started against the three lions. Two of the three introduced players VS England started against Ireland.

M'Bohli actually made his debut VS Ireland, and only conceded Robbie Keane's penalty. The game was all but over at that stage, and I honestly don't remember him doing much else except pick the ball out of the net. Tonight's game was his second international cap. Despite this he only had one shot to save

Algeria managed 6 shots VS England, and I'm pretty sure Westwood only had to make one save at the RDS, but this may have been due to an inferior team playing in Ballsbridge.

The Irish goals came from a set piece (Doyle earlier had a certain goal saved from a set play), a finish from Keane following some work from Duff on the left, and a penalty. Having conceded twice from poor tackling, I thought Algeria tightened up on their tackling against England, certainly I don't remember any free kicks for England around their box.

Duff gave their full back plenty to think about all night beside the Dodder, and Lawrence on the other wing complemented this attacking style, pulling the 3 man defence out of the middle. By comparison, the closest Capello has to a natural left winger in the 23 man squad is Joe Cole, and he didn't make it off the bench in Cape town. Gerrard was playing inside left, and I forgot he was on the pitch until he took a corner.

One of the hallmarks of Ireland in Trapattoni's reign is two sitting central midfielders. Against the Desert Foxes, Glen Whelan and Paul Green frequently broke up attacks in front of the centre half pairing, and spread the ball wide to play on the counter. England only played with one defensive midfielder, Gareth Barry, with Lampard playing ahead og him. Against this, the Algerians had 4 players, two defensive and two attacking, always with at least one option to pass to. This did limit their options in the final third of the pitch, but with only one shot on target all night, I don't think they were looking for the win.

In short, Algeria made full use of their warm up game against Ireland to learn how a team with English-based players would play against them, learned their mistakes well, and used this to full effect against England in South Africa.

(all game stats taken from here: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statist...464/index.html )
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It's easy to crow about beating the same team that England struggled to make an impression against,
    You're right, it is. We won 3-0 na na na na na.

I know the friendlies only carry a lesser weighting, but our recentn results will probably do our rankings a bit of good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    According to latest reports from the "currant bun" this bloke has turned up for England in the last few games.

Dwayne Rooney
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 19/06/2010 at 4:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Games a bit boring today. Hope Japan are knocked out next week, BORING. Holland havent impressed either in two games.

And what can I say about Australia. Had high hopes for them at start of comp, since they have a good few players with experience in European leagues. But then I didnt bank on them having an idiot of a manager. Jesus play football on the ground, and preferbly forward!!!! A carbon copy of England!!!

And Ghana were there for the taking. Ghana play exactly as they always play - all heart, big guys running, bossing midfield, and shooting from impossible angles. So Australia were poorly organised,, cycnical, and always throwing themselves to the ground. And it was so GREAT to see that Pr**k kewell get sent off.
    Anyway woud be nice if somehow Ghana got through but doubt it - pity

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That's an interesting group all the same. Serbia will fancy their chances, and Germany will have a real test of their nerves / ability, especially as they're a young side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    This Denmark V Cameroon game is a cracker. Watched both teams first games and wasnt gonna bother with this one, but its nearly and half time and has had almost everything. 1-1, should be 3-3 at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Bill O'Herlihy does my head in he is a prat! Talks Rubbish,reading quotes from people who dont count to start a debate,
    Brady is well able for him.Also said Japan just need a draw against Denmark to qualify because they have superior goal
    difference.WHAT???? Time to retire Bill !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Bill O'Herlihy does my head in he is a prat! Talks Rubbish,reading quotes from people who dont count to start a debate,
    Brady is well able for him.Also said Japan just need a draw against Denmark to qualify because they have superior goal
    difference.
    WHAT???? Time to retire Bill !

Is that not true?

Good game, that young fella Kjaer is some player, basically hoovering up all the mistakes Poulsen and Agger do in defence (and they make a shed load of them!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    ok. my mistake Japan have 1 more goal than Denmark so a draw would get them through.Sorry Bill!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    England were woeful. What is the point of Frank Lampard?

I thought they'd struggle but drawing with Algeria?! looking forward to the banter in the office tomorrow.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast