Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Green

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Unlucky. Hope he can recover and kick his career on. I'm not a big fan, but never good to see.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    terrible news for him. i know some / most dont really rate him but he was decent against uruguay and he is better for us than gibson and not too far behind whelan imo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Bad news for him and I hope he makes a great recovery, but in the cold light of day I'd be more worried if other players were injured.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19877
    Linked with a move to Ipswich.

Green and Andrews in midfield :salivate:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19877
    Linked with a move to Ipswich.

Green and Andrews in midfield :salivate:
    andrews rumoured to be a wigan target in this transfer window

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Guess who's back ?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Shady
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    With Clark crocked, I suppose it's not like we are overwhelmed with options?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Same thinking. I'd like to think Clark would get called up if he wasn't involved. And with Lawrence injured, and seemingly out of the frame, made sense to have a look at midfield cover.

If he forced his way into the squad ahead of Whelan, Andrews, Gibson, Fahey or McCarthy - well, that'd be a different kettle of rage...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Guess who's back ?
    Tenacious...clumsy...occasionally horrifies viewers.

It can only be Jason Voorhees.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Just got skinned on the flank by Lloyd Dyer for Leicester's opener early in the match. Will be interesting to see how he deals with Dyer's pace from now on.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think this guy gets totally undeserved critisism from the Irish supporters. For example, people suggesting that he was only drafted into the squad to lessen the impact of McClean's inclusion. He started our first couple of qualifiers, hardly a surprise then that he managed to get back into the squad when he receovered fully from his injury. It's like as if we've got ideas about our station all of a sudden in relation to Championship players. I have a friend from Derby, who is a season ticket holder, and they have huge time for "Greeny" over there. They were desperate to keep him during the January transfer window when Ipswich, Southampton and Celtic were all showing a big interest. I like Andrews but don't think Whelan offers any more than Green, if I'm honest I think he offers less. I'm not a huge fan or anything but I don't think he's anywhere near as rubbish as most people seem to think. He's done okay for Ireland, no more or less than that, in a role which would be largely unfamiliar to him as he is more of a box to box midfielder at Derby. I'd have liked James McCarthy to have got game time the other night as well, but it seems pretty obvious he is going to have to bide his time for another while. McCarthy, himself, isn't exactly getting the positive write ups which were fairly regular a year ago.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    He was way off the pace at home to Russia which is what has planted grave doubts in people's minds. He was much better away to Slovakia. He lost the ball quite a bit but won the ball high up the pitch quite a bit too.

I'd like to Gibson and Andrews tried together in our 4-4-2, and in general I think any 3 from Whelan, Andrews, Gibson, McCarthy, Fahey and Green would make a good 3 in 4-3-1-2 / 4-3-3 / 4-5-1.

In a 4-2-3-1 I'd have Whelan and Gibson as the 2 and Andrews between the wide players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Our midfield has been outplayed by far worse teams than Russia with the Whelan & Andrews/Gibson partnership. We were also out-numbered in midfield that night. Being out-numbered by a team who have already got superior technical ability was a serious receipe for disaster. I agree with your assessments of those performances by Green though, that's why I said he hasn't done any more or less than okay. I think a lot of things have gone against him in people's minds, some automatic... that Russia game, losing the ball in dangerous areas, being a Championship player, dare I mention his ginger hair and skinny frame? I'd like to see Gibson playing well for Everton over a more substantial period of time before being considered again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The central midfielders are restricted by what Trapattoni allows them to do. Glenn Whelan is an automatic starter for Trapattoni precisely for the reason that he does what he is told to do. If the central midfield were given more creative licence and allowed to play, Whelan and Andrews could have a greater influence on games. But this is not the Trapattoni way. Paul Green fits into the Trapattoni system because the expectations you'd normally place on an international footballer (ie an ability to control and pass the ball) are not required to play central midfield for Trapattoni. Rather central midfielders sit in their positions, break-up play if it comes in their "zones" and that's pretty much it. What we seek do creatively as a team consists of launching it from the back and hoping for the best or scoring from a set piece. If you think about it, our play uses 7 players. Full backs and central midfielders basically just hold position. Top teams in the world are looking to be more mobile, we're looking to be more rigid and static.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Maybe it's a sign of just how dysfunctional we were or signs of squad strength or both, but most every substitution made a difference. Unprecedented that both first choice forwards were subbed and their replacements improved the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Every substitution was made after the Czechs scored.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Well, I suppose that 'incidental' factor can be included

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Glenn Whelan is an automatic starter for Trapattoni precisely for the reason that he does what he is told to do
    Accepted but he doesn't do any more for Stoke in my opinion. That said, Tony Pulis may give him similar instructions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Our midfield has been outplayed by far worse teams than Russia with the Whelan & Andrews/Gibson partnership. We were also out-numbered in midfield that night. Being out-numbered by a team who have already got superior technical ability was a serious receipe for disaster. I agree with your assessments of those performances by Green though, that's why I said he hasn't done any more or less than okay. I think a lot of things have gone against him in people's minds, some automatic... that Russia game, losing the ball in dangerous areas, being a Championship player, dare I mention his ginger hair and skinny frame? I'd like to see Gibson playing well for Everton over a more substantial period of time before being considered again.
    you hit the nail on the head here!! the public want to see bronzed gladiators like james mccarthy in his place

25. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast