Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Green

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Wow, scathing from Clough.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    "You've either got it or you go back to League Two or Poland or wherever you're from. We can't afford to have nights like this."

I dunno what to make of that Poland comment by Clough ? Is it some sort of did at Tomasz Cywka ?? Classic lazy Mike Basset-esque English manager attitude - the likes of him and Allardyce are so f**king ignorant - as if Derby County (or any Nigel Clough team) would compete in the Ekstraklasa, the likes of Lech Pozan, Legia, Wisla would smash Derby. I'd ignore all quotes this this little rat says about Paul Green or any other player.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    While I'm no fan of Paul Green that is pathetic stuff from Clough, telling the fans exactly what they want to hear and make a scapegoat out of individuals to take the pressure off the manager after a disgraceful loss. Spineless stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    "You've either got it or you go back to League Two or Poland or wherever you're from. We can't afford to have nights like this."

I dunno what to make of that Poland comment by Clough ? Is it some sort of did at Tomasz Cywka ?? Classic lazy Mike Basset-esque English manager attitude - the likes of him and Allardyce are so f**king ignorant - as if Derby County (or any Nigel Clough team) would compete in the Ekstraklasa, the likes of Lech Pozan, Legia, Wisla would smash Derby. I'd ignore all quotes this this little rat says about Paul Green or any other player.
    It may be that Clough Jr. is ignorant/prejudiced about Polish football (I've no idea, myself).
    And you may be correct about Lech, Legia and Wisla etc "smashing" Derby County.

But in Clough's defence, he could point out that Cywka has never actually played for any of those clubs (or similar).

It's a bit like someone defending eg a Scottish player at Pride Park, on the basis that Celtic, Rangers, Hearts etc might "smash" Derby, when the player in question had only previously played for Falkirk, Hamilton, Cowdenbeath etc.

Also I'd guess that Cwyka may be on far better wages at Derby than he could earn back home in Poland (even at a top club?), so if Clough fought Cwyka's corner to get him a permanent contract at Derby, and the player now doesn't appear to be trying, then it would be understandable if he (Clough) was angry.

Anyhow on a more general note, I've always thought that coming out and publicly slagging named players is the "nuclear option" for a manager i.e. if the threat doesn't work, then he (manager) will be fired before the "missiles" (players) are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Maybe Clough should go back to the Conference

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I see Green is linked as a replacement for Charlie Adam today. I know its only in the Mirror but wouldnt it be great to have one of our central midfielders starting in the Premier League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Green just came off after 50 minutes, went straight down the tunnel. Didn't look obviously injury but the commentator thought he was.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Green just came off after 50 minutes, went straight down the tunnel. Didn't look obviously injury but the commentator thought he was.
    How was he playing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    How was he playing?
    Don't know, turned it on at half time and the commentator didn't say much about him...wasn't going to wake up an hour earlier to watch Paul Green He was replaced by Conor Doyle who, besides putting in the corner that led to Derby's second goal, has been anonymous aside from a few misplaced passes in crucial areas.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 12/03/2011 at 3:53 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Don't know, turned it on at half time and the commentator didn't say much about him...wasn't going to wake up an hour earlier to watch Paul Green He was replaced by Conor Doyle who, besides putting in the corner that led to Derby's second goal, has been anonymous aside from a few misplaced passes in crucial areas.
    Can't blame you for that decision.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I can't get Fox Soccer Plus on Comcast. Very annoying.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Suffering from a virus but should be OK for selection on Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Suffering from a virus but should be OK for selection on Monday.
    Whelan, McCarthy, Gibson, Andrews & Fahey are the midfielders I'd choose. Wilson is there too but will probably be included as a defender. Green shouldn't be picked.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 12/03/2011 at 9:05 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    I can't get Fox Soccer Plus on Comcast. Very annoying.
    I was watching online anyway, otherwise I could have had the game on DVR
    My Guarantee

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Aren't we all agreed that Paul got a game because he called up the FAI and told them he was eligible, he won't get another game. He couldn't hold on to a ball of glue.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Green was selected on his humble merits because our available choices at CM are at a mediocre to average standard at this Intl level.
    Neither Fahey (less so) nor Gibson (more so) have impressed with doing some of the vital required basics at CM. Whelan was dreadful in the Russia game, he has improved but is still way off the standard. Andrews hasn't showed at all this season.
    Slovakia playing poorly (on an off day for them), were far from being overawed by our CM after Green was replaced. Norway played through and around our midfield with ease when they had to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    In fairness to Green he did impress in the Summer internationals and was better than Whelan in Slovakia game until he had to come off
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Green was better against Russia too. Marginally, but at least he tried to get the ball back unlike Whelan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    He is not good enough for the Irish squad. Apart from a goal against Algeria, Green has been a liability. One could not be confident with him in midfield.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 13/03/2011 at 12:59 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sp...l/article.html

Out for 6-9 months. Obviously a terrible blow for him, and I wish him all the best for his recovery. I can't help but feel (like in Martin Rowlands' case) that's the end of his international career now; he was incredibly lucky to get into the Irish squad in the first place, and with a gaggle of friendlies coming up, other, younger players will now get their chance.

There's a weird symmetry here; Green took David Meyler's place in the initial squad last May when Meyler suffered his cruciate injury; it looks like the reverse might happen this May.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast