Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Algeria - Saturday, 29th May 2010 - Friendly - RDS

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Algeria - Saturday, 29th May 2010 - Friendly - RDS

Quoting years at random since 1975

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cunningham has been named as left full. 2000 Algerian fans have bought ticktets to the game. I know its only a friendly but I saw the playoff between Egypt and Algeria that got Algeria to the World Cup and their supporters are pretty lively. should add a bit of atmosphere.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Are you sure Cunningham starts?
    Only caught the tail end of the news and the players I heard mentioned were:
    ???????, Foley, Kelly, O'Shea, St Ledger, Lawrence, Green, Whelan, Duff?, ??????, ??????
    I assumed the ones I didn't hear were Westwood, Keane and Doyle with Kelly at left back. But I could be massively wrong, will keep an ear/eye out.

Edit: You were right, team is:
    Rep of Ireland (v Algeria): Westwood, Kelly, O’Shea, St Ledger, Cunningham, Lawrence*, Green, Whelan, Duff, Keane, Doyle
    http://m.irishtimes.com/sports/socce...html?via=sport
    Last edited by Closed Account; 27/05/2010 at 1:41 PM. Reason: Misinformed

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Good (but obvious) move putting O'Shea in at CH.
    A big game for Cunningham, he could be a made man after this.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Really dont see why Keane and Duff are playing, other than Trap who wants to keep the team together at every opportunity. Would like to see the changes happen a little earlier on Friday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's obvious that we need the semblance of a team so we can try out a few of the new kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Really dont see why Keane and Duff are playing, other than Trap who wants to keep the team together at every opportunity. Would like to see the changes happen a little earlier on Friday.
    I agree. Would love to see Stokes in particular getting 45 minutes.

Although I don't think Robbie will mind, sets him up to hit the big 100 against Argentina.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Delighted to see Cunningham starting. Really excited about it. Think putting time into Green (at 27) will ultimately prove to be a waste of time. Another strong team out. Trap seems intent on keeping the winning momentum at the expense of experimentation. May regret it in the long run
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 27/05/2010 at 5:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Since when has Trap been concerned about the long run?
    Building solidity, confidence and momentum is what he hopes will take us to the Euros. He's a results man.
    Criticism is prejudice made plausible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I can see what he's doing. He wants to see partnerships and how people will fit into the team. If he puts in 5 or 6 kids all he can learn his how they will fit in with other kids.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Why not put Green in? He looked good the last night and got good reports from the training game. Personally I'll reserve judgement on the lad until he's had a 3 or 4 competitive games(within reason). He's 3 months younger than Keith Fahey but I'm sure a lot of people would prefer to see Fahey start instead.
    Lets give Paul Green a chance lads, he could suprise us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I watch a lot of the championship in the U.k ..Green will not dissapoint lads. He wont not be shy in the tackle, can pass also.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Delighted to see Cunningham starting. Really excited about it. Think putting time into Green (at 27) will ultimately prove to be a waste of time.
    If he can do a job for 2 years he'll be worth it. Performing at the Euros in 2 years will do more good for the 23 that go than trying to blood one player in Green's stead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    2OOO Algerian fans will certainly spice up the atmosphere,should have the knockon effect of stirring the home support.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Think putting time into Green (at 27) will ultimately prove to be a waste of time.
    Hasn't done Andrews any harm.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I personally don't think Paul Green brings anything new to the squad, he certainly doesn't raise the quality. I wish that Trapattoni would give a ball playing midfielder like Fahey a chance in the central positions. The organisation and structure of the team is fine, but we need to build and progress from this by allowing our central midfielders to be creative. I understand Trapattoni doesn't want to deviate from a relatively successful strategy but that strategy didn't get us to South Africa so improvements can be made and friendlies offer the opportunity to try something new. Capping lower tier, journeymen like Green won't improve us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Lots of players get one or two caps in these end of season get togethers, and never make it to squad regular. He's another option in midfield, nothing more. With the injuries to Meyler and McCarthy, not to mention Steven and Andy Reid, it shows how lightweight we are in central midfield. When those players return from injury (and presumably international exile), and the likes of Clifford make the step up to senior football, he'll lose his place in the squad but for now I've no problem with him getting those one or two caps.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Article about Cunningham's start tonight on Man City's website: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news...for-Cunningham
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Lots of players get one or two caps in these end of season get togethers, and never make it to squad regular. He's another option in midfield, nothing more. With the injuries to Meyler and McCarthy, not to mention Steven and Andy Reid, it shows how lightweight we are in central midfield. When those players return from injury (and presumably international exile), and the likes of Clifford make the step up to senior football, he'll lose his place in the squad but for now I've no problem with him getting those one or two caps.
    Well you should have a problem with the capping of him because (a) you realise he's not going to feature long-term, and (b) you are hinting that handing caps to players like Green is more a means to fulfil friendly fixtures rather than anything else. Players like Cunningham and Sheridan are not senior standard players just yet but these are the players that should be capped in games like this to encourage them to fulfil the potential they obviously possess. Green doesn't offer anything new, we have plenty players in his position that are better and/or offer long term potential. So why waste caps on him when we know he's at best a squad member and ultimately 6th or 7th choice in that position?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I wish that Trapattoni would give a ball playing midfielder like Fahey a chance in the central positions. The organisation and structure of the team is fine, but we ness from this by allowing our central midfielders to be creative. .....
    You think Trap scolded Whelan for that killer pass to Duff?
    Whelan, Andrews (and McCarthy emerging) are our best at CM and all three can hold their own in the EPL at CM.

I personally don't think Paul Green brings anything new to the squad, he certainly doesn't raise the quality
    Green is playing for a place in the squad, to function as a standby CM replacement. He gets around like Miller but he has a meatier bite so he is bringing something more to the squad (if he passes the test).
    Personally I think it is a no brainer to give a lad like Green a chance in this game.

I understand Trapattoni doesn't want to deviate from a relatively successful strategy but that strategy didn't get us to South Africa so improvements can be made and friendlies offer the opportunity to try something new
    I think Trap realises the benefit of a new strategy, that if we go 2 up - we have a much better chance of seeing the game out

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast