Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Paraguay - Tuesday, 25th May 2010 - Friendly - RDS

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Paraguay - Tuesday, 25th May 2010 - Friendly - RDS

Much stronger than I had anticipated. The back 4 look a bit vulnerable though and it will be interesting to see how they get on. Good to see the experienced players like Keane, Doyle and Duff still turning up when they could be sun tanning themselves (Duffer with Factor 80) in Majorca.

Prediction 1-2 Paraguay.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Anyone know much about Paraguay? Usually quiet defensive minded? Interesting to see how we get on against them considering that they will play Slovakia in a few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Anyone know much about Paraguay? Usually quiet defensive minded? Interesting to see how we get on against them considering that they will play Slovakia in a few weeks.
    Beat Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay in World Cup Qualifying. They have four decent strikers in Roque Santa Cruz (Man City), Nelson Valdez (Borussia Dortmund), new acquisition Lucas Barrios (Borussia Dortmund) who is an Argentinian striker who finished 3rd top scorer in the Bundesliga this year with 19 goals and Oscar Cardozo (Benfica). They should be no push overs. Christian Riveros in midfield has recently signed for Sunderland and Antolín Alcaraz has just signed for Wigan. Defender Pablo Da Silva is also at Sunderland.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 25/05/2010 at 12:18 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Is this game on television? Sky?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Is this game on television? Sky?
    Live on sky with highlights on RTE2 at 11.30 tonight.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Thanks.
    ('Live from Croke Park' according to Sky listing).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Much stronger than I had anticipated. The back 4 look a bit vulnerable though and it will be interesting to see how they get on. Good to see the experienced players like Keane, Doyle and Duff still turning up when they could be sun tanning themselves (Duffer with Factor 80) in Majorca.

Prediction 1-2 Paraguay.
    Definitely a stronger selection than anticipated. The fact the Senior lads have turned up will go some way to help retaining some of the momentum built up over the last campaign.

John O'Shea at left full. It's possible this is the end of the line for Kilbane as a starter - if Trapp is happy to use St Ledger / Dunne as first choice centre half pairing. With Kilbane injured, it's obviously too early to make a definitive judgement on that one.

I'm aware I've been guilty of less than glowing comments about McShane on here in the past - but I'd love him to have a solid game tonight and avoid any blunders. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully, they all avoid injury as well. I've a weird sense of foreboding about Doyle on that front for some strange reason.

Prediction: 1- 2 Paraguay.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Cardoza is a great player did plenty of damage against Celtic in days gone by and Liverpool more recently if memory serves.....
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Who remembers our 2-0 win over Paraguay in 1999. I don't but then again I don't remember what I did yesterday. Who am I again?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Who remembers our 2-0 win over Paraguay in 1999. I don't but then again I don't remember what I did yesterday. Who am I again?
    I don't but I look back on it fondly! What a glorius day

Does anyone know where I can see highlights (or at least the goals) from that game? Maybe they showed them on the news or something (I already checked MNS...maybe if they hadn't got rid of Raiders )?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I bet Stuttgart88 does!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    I don't know where you'd get the goals but maybe the words below will bring back some memories. Duffer and Robbie the only survivors.

Paraguay feel Dublin chill

by Bill George
    Republic of Ireland 2
    Paraguay 0

MISSION accomplished for Ireland who slipped smoothly back into winning mode at Lansdowne Road last night where they overcame a wide spectrum of varied problems with impressive ease.
    Paraguay were despatched with the minimum of fuss, a playing surface that was less than ideal was no brake to their progress and they maintained their concentration with admirable professionalism despite the intrusion of a second-half streaker to send 27,600 fans home happy.
    Paraguay's body language suggested initially they had little stomach for a battle and the fact all eleven players wore black woollen gloves gave the impression they were less than enamoured of Dublin's chill.
    But they were individually highly skilled and busy in a typically South American style to suggest they were capable of causing Ireland problems were they handled with less than total commitment.
    In the circumstances Ireland impressed hugely for they were strong and dominant in their attitude and even if a two goal winning margin was something of an understatement, given the measure of control Ireland exerted, the manner of the win was totally acceptable.
    Even more so was the ebullient form of the talented Damien Duff who produced the most exciting individual performance of the match to illustrate his rich potential and reflect his growing confidence at this level.
    Duff, who is still only 19 years of age, was making his sixth appearance in the senior team and the level of improvement he has shown in his last two appearances testified to his increasing influence on Ireland's performances.
    He made the mistake in his early games of attempting too much in his anxiety to make an impact, but he was level-headed and sensible in his play in the competitive cauldron of Belgrade last November in the European Championship and he expanded upon that with great elan against Paraguay.
    Duff put a premium on retaining possession of the ball against Yugoslavia and was slow to gamble; an approach that was entirely justified given the importance of the match and the quality of the opposition.
    Relieved of the pressures of a competitive tie last night he was encouraged to allow his attacking inclinations full rein and he produced moments of sheer magic.
    The quality of his crosses was superb and a bright and imaginative performance was denied the full endorsement of a goal only by ill-luck on more than one occasion.
    His sharp reactions look set to put this minor flaw to right as early as the 12th minute when Harte's quickly taken free was chipped by Kinsella over the top of the defence for Duff to shoot past goalkeeper Tavarelli but sweeper Caniza took the ball off the line.
    It was entirely appropriate that Duff should have been heavily involved in one of the most devastating moves of the game when he took Harte's pass in his stride and cut back the most beautiful cross for Quinn to head against the crossbar in the 27th minute. Overall he was the player who showed most penetration for Ireland despite the fact that Paraguay were not slow to use illegal means to stop him when danger threatened and his steady advancement is calculated to give cause for optimism for the future.
    Paraguay included only a couple of players who were regularly in action for them in the World Cup finals in France last Summer, so Ireland's dominance was not a surprise and it was never threatened.
    In the circumstances the only measure of criticism one could level against the Irish was that they did not score more goals; a charge that was justified given the amount of possession they enjoyed and the number of chances that fell their way.
    The two they succeeded in taking reflected the huge impact on a polished Irish performance of right-back Denis Irwin, whose defensive solidarity was matched on this occasion by his clever incursions into Ireland's attacking play.
    He brought his total of international goals to four from 51 appearances when he struck home the first goal from the penalty spot in the 37th minute with total conviction.
    The manner of his execution of the penalty reflected the immense feeling of confidence and calmness that the impressive full-back brings to bear to his football and his contribution to Ireland's second goal, in the 74th minute, was just as excellent.
    He stole behind the defence to attract a pass from Roy Keane and his cross was driven so accurately and at such an ideal pace that even though substitute David Connolly lost sight of the ball as he was forced to battle to retain position in a crowded penalty area, it looped into the net off his body.
    Connolly saw 23 minutes of action as substitute and made quite an impression in that short spell and the other individual successes on a night of total Irish control were Gary Breen, midfielders Roy Keane and Mark Kinsella, and Robbie Keane.
    The livewire centre-forward saw few clear-cut chances to score as Paraguay crowded their goalmouth at every hint of danger, but he was extremely hard-working and mobile and he was always a handful for defenders who were committed and defiant.
    Breen had one of his best internationals and his dominance in the air was married to a good touch when the ball was at his feet. His distribution was immaculate throughout the game.
    Roy Keane and Mark Kinsella controlled midfield with commendable authority and Kinsella contrived to show the wide range of passing at his disposal until he tired in the second-half, an inevitable consequence of his club game as recently as Monday.
    So the match gave manager Mick McCarthy plenty of reasons to be optimistic ahead of Ireland's next assignment ü a tricky European Championship qualifying tie against Macedonia in Skopje on March 27 ü even if he learned little that was new.
    Most encouraging was the nice balance achieved on both flanks with Ian Harte filling in for the injured Steve Staunton effectively and striking a good understanding immediately with the precocious Duff. But then, who would not enjoy entrusting such a rich talent with the ball at every opportunity ?
    IRELAND (4-4-2); Given (Newcastle United); Irwin (Manchester United), Babb (Coventry City), Cunningham (Wimbledon), Harte (Leeds United); McAteer (Blackburn Rovers), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Mark Kinsella (Charlton Athletic), Damien Duff (Blackburn Rovers); Niall Quinn (Sunderland), Robbie Keane (Wolverhampton Wanderers). Subs: Kelly (Sheffield United) for Given, Carsley (Derby County) for Kinsella; Connolly (Wolves) for Robbie Keane, all 67 mins; Cascarino (Nancy) for Quinn 70; Babb (Liverpool) for Harte 72; McLoughlin (Portsmouth) for McAteer 80.
    PARAGUAY (3-5-2); Tavarelli; Rolon, Caniza, Acosta; Valdez, Aguilera, Franco, Ortiz; Caballero, Roman. Subs; Peralta for Roman 64; Britez for Caballero 72; Esquivel for Franco 80.
    Referee: G. T. Orrason (Iceland).
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That Paraguay team was at best a 3rd choice selection.
    I remember Bolivia sent over a bunch of kids for a friendly before the 94 WC.

I hope Paraguay put out a decent team even if means beating us handy enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    I don't know where you'd get the goals but maybe the words below will bring back some memories. Duffer and Robbie the only survivors.

IRELAND (4-4-2); Given (Newcastle United); Irwin (Manchester United), Babb (Coventry City), Cunningham (Wimbledon), Harte (Leeds United); McAteer (Blackburn Rovers), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Mark Kinsella (Charlton Athletic), Damien Duff (Blackburn Rovers); Niall Quinn (Sunderland), Robbie Keane (Wolverhampton Wanderers). Subs: Kelly (Sheffield United) for Given, Carsley (Derby County) for Kinsella; Connolly (Wolves) for Robbie Keane, all 67 mins; Cascarino (Nancy) for Quinn 70; Babb (Liverpool) for Harte 72; McLoughlin (Portsmouth) for McAteer 80.
    PARAGUAY (3-5-2); Tavarelli; Rolon, Caniza, Acosta; Valdez, Aguilera, Franco, Ortiz; Caballero, Roman. Subs; Peralta for Roman 64; Britez for Caballero 72; Esquivel for Franco 80.
    Referee: G. T. Orrason (Iceland).
    whats the story with the 2 babbs? is that a mistake or have i completely forgotten about a second one playing for us?!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    whats the story with the 2 babbs? is that a mistake or have i completely forgotten about a second one playing for us?!
    Think its just a typo. Harte started the game so de paper must have messed up their report (that's where I found it).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    So the match gave manager Mick McCarthy plenty of reasons to be optimistic ahead of Ireland's next assignment ü a tricky European Championship qualifying tie against Macedonia in Skopje on March 27 ü even if he learned little that was new.
    What game was that? Looked up the records and cant seem to recall any game against Macedonia in March?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Game is here, here & here for the overseas and sky sportsless lads .

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I see Duffer had a great game. 27K+ at it. Not bad and Roy Keane playing in a friendly under Mick Mc :O

Still don't remember anything about it though. Perhaps I was the streaker.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I've played Ireland (tonight's starting team) V Paraguay a couple of times 2day on FIFA 10. 1-1 in 1st game, Irl 0-2 Para in 2nd game. So in keeping with the most popular prediction so far in this thread, I'm going to go with 2-1 to Paraguay. Expect Stephen Kelly to get sent off as he did in both of my games with two wreckless challenges

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    He stole behind the defence to attract a pass from Roy Keane and his cross was driven so accurately and at such an ideal pace that even though substitute David Connolly lost sight of the ball as he was forced to battle to retain position in a crowded penalty area, it looped into the net off his body.
    Connolly saw 23 minutes of action as substitute and made quite an impression in that short spell and the other individual successes on a night of total Irish control were Gary Breen, midfielders Roy Keane and Mark Kinsella, and Robbie Keane.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I've played Ireland (tonight's starting team) V Paraguay a couple of times 2day on FIFA 10. 1-1 in 1st game, Irl 0-2 Para in 2nd game. So in keeping with the most popular prediction so far in this thread, I'm going to go with 2-1 to Paraguay. Expect Stephen Kelly to get sent off as he did in both of my games with two wreckless challenges
    Well you must not be much at FIFA 10
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast