0 Posts

Keane to meet Kerr over return

Oh yes plenty fodder here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...187453,00.html

Keane to meet Kerr over return

Paul Walker
    Wednesday April 7, 2004
    The Guardian

Roy Keane is due to meet the Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr within the next fortnight to discuss a return to international football, having been in regular contact with him recently.
    The 33-year-old former Republic captain has not played for his country since he famously was sent home from the 2002 World Cup on the eve of the tournament in South Korea and Japan and he continues to divide public opinion across Ireland.

Kerr has since succeeded Mick McCarthy, with whom Keane fell out so irrevocably, and with Keane believing he has unfinished business with the Irish the two men reached the point of discussing the matter.

It appeared that Keane was set to return only for talks to break down over whether the Manchester United midfielder would play in non-competitive matches as well as European qualification fixtures.

Keane's injured hip meant that United wanted him to play as few games as possible for anyone else.

It is not known whether any compromises have been reached between Keane, Kerr and the United manager Sir Alex Ferguson but the player is understood to have been impressed by Kerr's managerial discipline.

Kerr has avoided commenting directly on the Keane issue but he has left the door ajar.

After Keane said on a promotional trip to Dublin a few weeks ago that there was still an outside chance of his coming back, Kerr said he would welcome any player who had announced his international retirement but who had changed his mind. That included players such as the Charlton Athletic goalkeeper Dean Kiely but clearly also Keane.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good stuff, welcome back Roy. We need central midfielders badly, and if one of the best in the world wants to play again, then let bygones be bygones!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

bygones

agree with you ... what's the point in harping on about him letting his country down, and being a traitor etc. He was the difference that got us to that World Cup anyway. Anyway, this has been discussed to deatg.

Still think its an outside chance though he'll come back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Christ, at least in two weeks time we should know once and for all whether Roy will ever put on an Irish shirt again.

If it's yes, I'll welcome him back and be glad to see him. I do think he can add to our midfield, he's the type of player we'll need heading up against the french, IMO opinion the only player we have bar Duff who could live with a midfield of Pires Vieira Zidane and Makalele.

If it's no, at least we can put all the crap behind us and move on. Either way, I'll be happy in a fortnight.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Christ, at least in two weeks time we should know once and for all whether Roy will ever put on an Irish shirt again.

If it's yes, I'll welcome him back and be glad to see him. I do think he can add to our midfield, he's the type of player we'll need heading up against the french, IMO opinion the only player we have bar Duff who could live with a midfield of Pires Vieira Zidane and Makalele.

If it's no, at least we can put all the crap behind us and move on. Either way, I'll be happy in a fortnight.
    Agreed, needs to be put to bed once and for all

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I think it will be a miracle if we know in 2 weeks!!! (then again I said Miller wouldn't play again for Celtic, so what do I know!!)

If it's yes, I'll welcome him back and be glad to see him. I do think he can add to our midfield, he's the type of player we'll need heading up against the french, IMO opinion the only player we have bar Duff who could live with a midfield of Pires Vieira Zidane and Makalele..
    Off topic a bit, but I thought Duff was very quiet last night against Arsenal, one run early in the first half was about it. Lauren marked him tightly and had the better of him IMO.

Jnr
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior

Off topic a bit, but I thought Duff was very quiet last night against Arsenal, one run early in the first half was about it. Lauren marked him tightly and had the better of him IMO.
    Thought so too. Lauren didn't give him an inch and Duffer looked very uncomfortable and didnt' have much of an impact. I've noticed that he isn't as effective in extremely tight games like last night's. Don't think he's shown his best form for Chelsea since coming back after the injury - which may account for the persistent Duffer to ManU rumours.
    Maybe you should put her on a leash, agent-man.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yeah he was pretty quiet last night alright. I think that part of the reason that he plays so well for us is that he gets so much more of the ball as we rely on him a lot more than they do at his club. At Chelsea he doesn't get the pass as much as they have so many quality players which gives them a lot more options. It stands to reason that if he's not given the ball as much when playing for his club that he's not going to get as many opportunities to impress as he does when playing for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yeah

Yeah i have to agree, that Keane coming back would give us that holding player that we need and some leadership too to help Cunningham. If he does come back i do think it either means he is leaving Man Utd in the summer or is taking a real back seat there next season the same way Robson did the last 2 years of his career at Man Utd. I think the midfield for the opening qualifiers may look like this if Keane comes back which anybody who is interested in the success of Irish football would want except for maybe Matt Holland.
    Given

O Shea O Brien Cunningham Carr

Duff Kilbane Keane Miller/Reid

Keane Morrison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    sorry it should have been the other side with duff and o shea on left and carr and either miller/reid on the right.

are weak area is a partner for robbie keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This meeting has been confirmed by the FAI. I for one hope that any issues can be resolved and I'll certainly welcome Roy back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    does any1 actually genuinely believe keane will return?all this talk of trying to lengthen his career for manchester united's cause
    j'accuse!

only1kilbane
    would be really surprised if he returned and cant really give a toss either move on with what we have. Id be more surprised if mr ferguson let him play as that supposedly was his reason for not returning in feb when he had the real chance !

Hopefully it will be put to an end sooner rather than later !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfcman
    does any1 actually genuinely believe keane will return?all this talk of trying to lengthen his career for manchester united's cause
    I actually think he will this time, maybe I'm being naiive though. The fact that he's meeting Kerr again means he must have enough desire to return. No matter what people say he's not so self-obsorbed to call the meeting for more media attention, he's not that type of person. He must genuinely want to come back and he's more than welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    No matter what people say he's not so self-obsorbed to call the meeting for more media attention, he's not that type of person. He must genuinely want to come back and he's more than welcome.
    You and many others are either very naive or show a touching faith in the man. He's let us down more than once before (cf Saipan, the "leak" before Kerr's first game in charge) and is well capacle of doing it again. Me, I just wish he'd **** off and leave those players who have always wanted to play for Ireland and us fans in peace.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    he's past it and his attitude is wrong. we might as well give the job to alan reynolds altogether. I'll have serious reservations about ever going to landsdowne again if he comes back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Contrary to reports in the media this morning, the FAI can confirm that Brian Kerr is not due to meet Roy Keane.

Reports circulated this morning claiming that FAI officials had confirmed that a meeting is to take place are inaccurate and no meeting is planned between Kerr and Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Contrary to reports in the media this morning, the FAI can confirm that Brian Kerr is not due to meet Roy Keane.

Reports circulated this morning claiming that FAI officials had confirmed that a meeting is to take place are inaccurate and no meeting is planned between Kerr and Keane
    Where did this come from? The usual reliable Indo said that the meeting was to go ahead.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'll have serious reservations about ever going to landsdowne again if he comes back[/QUOTE]

This is just the kind of rubbish we don't need. I hate what he did during the World Cup but the bottom line is if he plays again for us that sort of attitude is not going to help. Whichever 11 players are on the pitch representing Ireland, regardless of whether or not we agree with selection policy, is the team that we should support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The FAI website

The FAI website.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast