Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richard Sadlier reason for quitting Irish Football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Oh and for the record, headlines in newspapers are written by sub editors, not the journalilsts/columnists
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Oh and for the record, headlines in newspapers are written by sub editors, not the journalilsts/columnists
    And its up to journalists/columnists to confirm statements before putting them in print. Hope he can back up his "request from local rivals Bohemians" claim or else he should retract it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Hmmm his word or the word of people who the courts have declared liars (the last Albion case), wonder what will happen there...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tallaghthoop View Post
    Small-mindedness that drove me out of Irish football

By Richard Sadlier
    Sunday May 16 2010

It was a level of exposure that money can't buy. Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid debut was to happen on Irish soil in a League of Ireland ground.

Although most people would tune in to see Real Madrid rather than Shamrock Rovers, the fixture presented an opportunity for the domestic game to figure in at least the conversations of Irish football fans all over the country for the first time in a long time.

However, a request from local rivals Bohemians the month before left me stunned. It was the phone call which brought about my decision to quit the League of Ireland.

In a staggering display of small-mindedness and self-interest, I was asked to lend my support, and that of St Patrick's Athletic, to a formal objection by Bohs against the game going ahead. Their concern was that the game would affect the attendance at their Champions League game two nights later if they were drawn to play at home in the first leg. St Pat's were due to play in the Europa League the night after that (though we could also have been drawn away first) and they figured I would be of a like mind.

Have to say if the above is true its pretty sad on Bohs behalf, but a pretty lame reason for Sadlier to walk away for the game. I think the whole Jeff Kenna affair made his mind up. But for Bohs to try pull a stunt like that and try get St Pats on board, well i'll leave the rest to your imagination. Also for the love of me i can't understand why it would effect Bohs attendence, their fans are hardly going to come to Tallaght to watch the biggest club in the world over their own Champions league fixture.?????
    He has already backtracked on the embolded statement (now its ONE of the reasons) and we know there was no "formal objection by Bohs" so obviously Sadlier not on too close terms with the truth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Richard Sadlier quit a position at Pats. Why all this waffle about the small mindedness of Irish football? Talk about delusions of grandeur. His position at Pats had nothing to do with promoting domestic football - that's the role of the League and the FAI. As an employee of Pats, his concern is the self-interests of Pats. Yes clubs can help each other out and work together, but its not Sadlier's role to determine how other clubs should go about their business. He's entitled to his opinion but quitting "Irish football" because Bohs were looking after their own interests is an odd argument. Irish football does not hold a monopoly on small minded pettiness. When faced with a challenge some people will put their head down and get on with it. Others will moan about it and moan themselves into acceptance that things can't be changed. Sadlier is a moaner.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    well said ifk. If what Sadlier said is true then Bohs did the right thing by Bohs and i have no problem with that. I would commend any club who would do the same. In fact, maybe if Sadlier had looked after Pats interests a bit better he might still be more than a bit part columnist with very little to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Stinks of Minnowism from Bohs if true
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Stinks of Minnowism from Bohs if true
    As was said before Bohs NEVER lodged an objection to shams/madrid game so did not seek Pats or anyone else support for an objection (that never was).
    Could have been an individual phoned Sadlier - cant prove/disprove that, but the club simply never lodged a "formal objection" (Saddliers quote).
    The fact it took him twelve months to mention it and that he expects people to believe that this is why he left Pats indicates how little substance there is in this non story. Nothing to do with us beating Pats on saturday I'm sure just coincidence he felt the need to air it now (given the resources wasted under his "leadership" - truely Fianna Failesque - I would be looking for any excuse as well).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    FFS man, the timing is OBVIOUSLY related to the FAI/Limerick debacle. its nothing to do with Bohs or Pats games.

I see you still blaming him for all of Pats failings. Do you give all credit for Boish winning titles to the Gerrys?

(Oh and its possible that Bohs sought Pats support (and others) for a "formal objection" and seeing as none was forthcoming, they decided against it).

For sucha non story, you're posting about it enough
    ---

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    As was said before Bohs NEVER lodged an objection to shams/madrid game so did not seek Pats or anyone else support for an objection (that never was).
    Could have been an individual phoned Sadlier - cant prove/disprove that, but the club simply never lodged a "formal objection" (Saddliers quote).
    Sadlier never said that there was a 'formal objection' made (not according to the article which starts this thread anyway). He says he was contacted in order to get his and Pat's support for making one (which, according to you and other Bohs fans, was never actually made).

Just because a 'formal objection' wasn't actually made doesn't mean there weren't at one stage plans for making one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tallaghthoop View Post
    Also for the love of me i can't understand why it would effect Bohs attendence, their fans are hardly going to come to Tallaght to watch the biggest club in the world over their own Champions league fixture.?????
    In fairness, I think calling Rovers 'the biggest club in the world' is a slight exaggeration.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    FFS man, the timing is OBVIOUSLY related to the FAI/Limerick debacle. its nothing to do with Bohs or Pats games.

I see you still blaming him for all of Pats failings. Do you give all credit for Boish winning titles to the Gerrys?

(Oh and its possible that Bohs sought Pats support (and others) for a "formal objection" and seeing as none was forthcoming, they decided against it).

For sucha non story, you're posting about it enough
    Presumably should stay quiet and allow the only posts to Saddlier and his revisionist buddies like yourself ? Was he telling the truth saying this was the reason he quit Pats/LOI ? For gods sake he backtracked on that himself, how can anyone believe anything else in his "story" ? Was there ever a "formal complaint" ? No, another lie/exaggeration/whatever you're having yourself.
    If you have ANY proof of any part of his allegations then post it and we can debate the substance of the issue not flawed half truths (and thats generous) from someone trying to rewrite his own failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Sadlier never said that there was a 'formal objection' made (not according to the article which starts this thread anyway). He says he was contacted in order to get his and Pat's support for making one (which, according to you and other Bohs fans, was never actually made).

Just because a 'formal objection' wasn't actually made doesn't mean there weren't at one stage plans for making one.
    ........So now we should believe he gave up Pats/LOI because there was plans to maybe make a complaint about a friendly fixture ? Sweet devine God, how precious would that be ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev mcq View Post
    In fairness, I think calling Rovers 'the biggest club in the world' is a slight exaggeration.
    You have obviously never had any form contact with a Shams fan then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    As precious as you getting upset over a "nonstory" about something which happened a year ago

Presumably
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    can someone explain to me how and why this is minnowism becuase i fail to see how considering an objection to the timing of a glamour friendly when it threatens or could threaten attendance at your biggest game of the season is minnowism. Its perfectly reasonable to consider such a move.

Its actually a bit worrying that posters are so quick to stick the knife in Bohs here (though not all that surprising) without looking at the bigger picture and asking themselves if it was their own club in the same situation would they not think that considering lodging an objection would be a wise thing.

Why is trying to protect your own interests suddenly a bad thing or minnowism?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    ........So now we should believe he gave up Pats/LOI because there was plans to maybe make a complaint about a friendly fixture ? Sweet devine God, how precious would that be ?
    I don't know nor care what happened.

All I'm doing is pointing out the lack of logic in the argument that "Bohs never made formal complaint = Sadlier must be lying about being contacted".

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    can someone explain to me how and why this is minnowism becuase i fail to see how considering an objection to the timing of a glamour friendly when it threatens or could threaten attendance at your biggest game of the season is minnowism. Its perfectly reasonable to consider such a move.

Why is trying to protect your own interests suddenly a bad thing or minnowism?
    As I've just said, i don't know or care what happened.

But it's not beyond belief (to me at least) that bohs would just want to screw Rovers out of a friendly, but would portray it as being concerned about their own attendances for a Eurpoean game, just as it wasn't beyond belief (to me at least) that Barrett possibly contacted the Bohs player just to f**k with his head in the title run-in, under the pretext of a more legitimate reason regarding a potential transfer.
    Last edited by osarusan; 17/05/2010 at 3:35 PM. Reason: making 2 posts into 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    i find it more likely that there would be genuine concerns over affected attendances. Real are a huge draw and your average floating punter or neutral, if picking one game to attend that week, would be far likely to take in that game and the trump and fanfare that surrounded it than a CL qualifier. If you look at it objectively i think you'll find that the cause for concern was valid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    If you look at it objectively i think you'll find that the cause for concern was valid.
    I wouldn't disagree, but i don't think it's beyond belief to suggest it was done (if indeed it was done at all) at least partly out of malice either.
    Last edited by osarusan; 17/05/2010 at 3:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    i find it more likely that there would be genuine concerns over affected attendances. Real are a huge draw and your average floating punter or neutral, if picking one game to attend that week, would be far likely to take in that game and the trump and fanfare that surrounded it than a CL qualifier. If you look at it objectively i think you'll find that the cause for concern was valid.
    I'd be a bit worried if the major match-day promotion you undertake is to stop people going to see Shamrock Rovers games. Perhaps it was our glamour tie against UCD on Friday night that meant you only brough 1,500 to a Cup final.

It was quite clearly done out of spite, I don't think you'll convince many that there was no malice involved.

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast