Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mannus withdraws from NI squad - Any thoughts?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Mannus withdraws from NI squad - Any thoughts?

From extratime.ie:
    "Shamrock Rovers keeper Alan Mannus has made a tough call by confirming that he will not travel with the Northern Ireland squad for their tour of America.

The 27-year-old was included in Nigel Worthington's 18-man panel to take on Turkey and Chile in upcoming friendly games, although if he played in those games then he would miss crucial fixtures for The Hoops.

One of the games that the shot-stopper would have missed was the Dublin derby with Bohemians. So it is hardly surprising that he has announced that he won't be linking up for international duty.

"I feel sympathy for Alan [Mannus] at having to miss this opportunity; however he did not want to miss any Rovers games, particularly at this stage of the season," said Rovers manager Michael O'Neill.

"He has been in fantastic form this season and I am sure he will be included in future Northern Ireland squads."

Mannus remains hopeful of adding to his four senior caps, although he feels it was the best option to stick with Rovers at this crucial period of the season.

"Although I am disappointed to miss out on the tour, my priority at this time is with my club. I look forward to being included in future Northern Ireland squads," he said."

Clearly I'm a Rovers fan and I don't want this thread to degenerate into a slagging match but I'm genuinely interested in people's thoughts on this. Obviously it happens abroad all the time where a player withdraws from an international squad that has been picked for 'mickey-mouse' games but it's not often a LOI player gets a senior call-up so I'm interested to get a few opinions on this.

Again, please don't turn this into a slagging match or childishly nit-pick because it was posted by a Rovers fan.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I think it's madness. Two league games v the chance to impress the international manager. If this was Trap in charge, I'd imagine Mannus would be finished internationally(but then, Trap would never call up a domesitc player........)

I all depends on how happy Worthington is with it though.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoops_R_Us View Post

Again, please don't turn this into a slagging match or childishly nit-pick because it was posted by a Rovers fan.
    At least you don't have a complex...

My only thought was that it sounds funny to have the one press release use the phrase "included in future Northern Ireland squads" twice.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

My only thought was that it sounds funny to have the one press release use the phrase "included in future Northern Ireland squads" twice.
    Wow! Only the second reply and there it is. Proved exactly why I said it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    BOYCOTT!!!!!!

In fairness to the guy maybe he's trying to prove to your hardocre that he isn't infact a Hun?? Or "prioritising his club career" as Mannus himself might put it

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MariborKev View Post
    I think it's madness. Two league games v the chance to impress the international manager. If this was Trap in charge, I'd imagine Mannus would be finished internationally(but then, Trap would never call up a domesitc player........)

I all depends on how happy Worthington is with it though.
    I had that though myself Kev, especially when you look at the full NI squad that was announced. It's an 18-man squad inlcuding only 2 goalkeepers. I wonder how this will sit in the future, although Nigel Worthington may have come to some agreement with Mannus and/or Michael O'Neill regarding future squads.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's a strange decision. I doubt missing two games would have put him in danger of losing his spot, but maybe he got the sense he wouldn't get a game in America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Proved nothing. i didn't not pick becauise you're a ROvers fan. I nit picked because your sentance was ridiculous. I do it to fans of all clubs with persuction complexes on this board
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Proved nothing. i didn't not pick becauise you're a ROvers fan. I nit picked because your sentance was ridiculous. I do it to fans of all clubs with persuction complexes on this board
    Nothing ridiculous about it. If you don't have a comment on the subject matter, why post a comment at all? That's ridiculous! This isn't school. A question was asked. What's the problem? If you don't want to partake in the thread in an on-topic manner then don't post. It's very simple really.

So anyway, back on-topic, any thoughts on the Alan Mannus question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    any thoughts on the Alan Mannus question?
    Whats the question again??

Couldn't really hear from on top of that horse you've got, he is pretty high tbf, at least 27 hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Im not that surprised, Youse have a massive game agaist Bohs that he would have missed, I'd say himself O'Neill and Worthington had a good chat about it and all agreed that it would be ok if he satyed, If he keeps performing for Rovers he should have no problem getting into the squad when the important international games come around
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Nah, on a personal level I think Mannus is nuts.

On a professional level, Rovers must be delighted with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Jaysus, those quotes were from the player and his club manager. I don't know what you're implying at all?

Is it funny that Mannus will be included anyway in the future and thus this is no big deal, or that it's obvious that he won't be included again after taking such a stand and that using such a phrase twice is pointless?

I can't remember a LoI player turning down the chance to join a national team even if it is for just a friendly (let alone turning down a free hollyer to the States) so it does suggest that we're moving in a right direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Nah, on a personal level I think Mannus is nuts.

On a professional level, Rovers must be delighted with him
    Absolutely. I'm delighted to see Mannus' dedication, even though I think it will cost him personally in the international game.

I've no doubt that it's related to what happened last year with Barry Murphy, who showed his dedication to the club that trained him up by feigning injury to get out of games. Murphy wasn't arsed with Rovers, and Michael O'Neill quite understandably from then on decided it would be worth getting another keeper on board. I'm pretty sure that this sort of decision will see Mannus keep his place for big games this year, unlike Murphy who was dropped last year for any big games.

Mannus is a better keeper any way, but when you compare their professional attitude/desire to play and win for Rovers, I'm thrilled we have a professional like Big Al who seems desperate to see Rovers succeed.
    Last edited by Jicked; 13/05/2010 at 6:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Wasn't implying anything. Just found the repititian funny

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What was that about Barry Murphy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Well, for years, people on here complained about the lack of recognition the league gets from international managers. Now when a player is selected for his country, he decides to play for his club instead, which is his right. A tad ironic, me thinks.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    What was that about Barry Murphy?
    In a few instances this time last year Murphy's dedication to football and professionalism were found wanting. The biggest incident was him not being arsed to play in an away game and pretending he was injured, only to change his mind (obviously his planned night out was cancelled) and pretend his injury didn't exist, that's why MON bought Mannus when most didn't think we needed him.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Well, for years, people on here complained about the lack of recognition the league gets from international managers. Now when a player is selected for his country, he decides to play for his club instead, which is his right. A tad ironic, me thinks.
    I take your point DB but Mannus has been included in NI squads for the past while and, in this case it's a meaningless end of season tour while his club has some important games during the period of the tour. If it were qualifiers or something similar I think we would have seen a different situation arise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    In a few instances this time last year Murphy's dedication to football and professionalism were found wanting. The biggest incident was him not being arsed to play in an away game and pretending he was injured, only to change his mind (obviously his planned night out was cancelled) and pretend his injury didn't exist, that's why MON bought Mannus when most didn't think we needed him.
    Amazing, Murphy was a "legend" when he was at shams (most of your fans preferred him as a keeper to Mannus) but as soon as he joins Bohs ........

Back on thread, I personally think it a brave and welcome decision by Mannus to turn down selection. Must have been a difficult decision but hope it will not preclude him from future squads. Always a risk that his replacement will impress and take "his place" in future squad(s) so credit to him for a very professional call in putting his club before possible international cap(s).

Lets hope any players "chosen" for the Aviva fiasco show the same attitude

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast