Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mannus withdraws from NI squad - Any thoughts?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think he should have pulled out. Every person should play/work at the highest level possible and even though it's a friendly tour it'll stand to him in the future.
    From a League teams point (Rovers in this case) surely there is a second keeper at the club that could step up for a couple of games. The league won't be won and lost in that week of the season, will it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Port Saint View Post
    I don't think he should have pulled out. Every person should play/work at the highest level possible and even though it's a friendly tour it'll stand to him in the future.
    From a League teams point (Rovers in this case) surely there is a second keeper at the club that could step up for a couple of games. The league won't be won and lost in that week of the season, will it?
    Think to be fair the point is that playing important League games for shams is more important than end of season friendlies for N Ireland. Brave call by Mannus and hope it wont cost him in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Big decision from Al, althugh I know O'Neil and Worthington are friends since their playing days and with Alan Wright being Norn Iron's GK coach who was at Rovers last season, I'm sure some kind of agreement must have been reached reguarding his inclusion in the future. The number one spot for them is there for someone in the near future and hopefully Big Al will be in the shake up for that.
    Rovers do have Robert Duggan as second choice keeper who's not bad from what I've seen of him and I think would have covered admirably, but the form Mannus has shown so far this season has been encouraging and he certainly looks to have settled into his role at the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Meaningless friendly, only call he possibly could of made.
    Fahey, Doyle, Murphy, D Murphy, O'Donavon, Bennett, McCourt etc etc Didn't need to play international football to improve themselves.

Crowe and J Byrne played for Ireland, where are they now?
    MD

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Well, for years, people on here complained about the lack of recognition the league gets from international managers.
    Successive ROI international managers, not managers of other national teams.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    "J Byrne played for Ireland, where are they now?"

I presume you've seen the top scorers list for the Premier League in Ireland for this season mrtndvn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Successive ROI international managers, not managers of other national teams.
    That's right, Manus isn't the first to turn down an international call up, if memory serves Mbabazi pulled out of Uganda national team squads to play for Pats

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I understand why the decision was made, but I think players should play for their country when they have the chance.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munster Saint View Post
    That's right, Manus isn't the first to turn down an international call up, if memory serves Mbabazi pulled out of Uganda national team squads to play for Pats
    Correct. He actually retired from international football
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    its a strange one from Mannus. Obvious positives for Shams, obvious negatives for himself. Fair play to him if he wants to compromise his international career like that. MON must have been very convincing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Amazing, Murphy was a "legend" when he was at shams (most of your fans preferred him as a keeper to Mannus) but as soon as he joins Bohs ........
    FWIW I've always been very much in the pro-Mannus group, but you're right plenty of our fans were against him signing and didn't want Murphy to leave. After what MON had to say at the Rovers AGM about the specifics of Murphy's behaviour, Barry has very few admirers left amongst those who found out the true story from an fed-up MON.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    interesting decision from Mannus. I presume he's confident that he'll still be included in NI squads for competitive games.

Can Rovers get League games postponed if 1 player is picked for a competitive game?
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    AFAIK it has to be three players called up for international duty (incl. U21's)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Coming at this from a different angle (NI fan, rather than LOI fan), I'm disappointed he won't be there, but not disappointed in Mannus.
    That is, I kinda understand where he's coming from.
    For at best this Tour will be a joke, at worst an embarrassment. It was hoped to line up decent opposition for a quick trip to somewhere handy in the USA, pocket a decent appearance fee then return home.
    Instead, we have ended up playing Turkey in Connecticut on a Wednesday, then flying down to to play Chile on the Saturday. And not only is the Chile game not in the capital Santiago (it's some way South), but Chile have another game scheduled for that same date i.e. we are effectively playing their "B" team.
    Moreover, the dates clash with the narrow holiday window for EPL players, plus the FL Play-Offs and Steven Davis's wedding (to which a number of players are invited). Oh and we have kept several players who might have stepped up from the U-19s, since they are playing a competitive qualifying tournament in Russia at the same time.
    Therefore the team which will travel will effectively be our fourth team - and we barely have a third team as it is...
    (Oh and before anyone asks why we're going out there at all, it's solely for the money, since the IFA is completely skint).
    In those circumstances, I suspect Worthington is more understanding of Mannus's decision than might normally be the case.

And from the player's pov, I don't think he's jeopardising his future international prospects, since those have effectively faded. That is, Maik Taylor is established No.1 for the next year, maybe even two(?), with Worthy testing other, younger keepers (but not Mannus) as possible successors. (Current head of the queue is Jonny Tuffey of Partick Thistle, who will be signing for an SPL club next season, or maybe English Championship? Next in line is probably Trevor Carson, Sunderland No.2 and highly thought of. And he is already bringing Michael McGovern of Ross County out on the Tour, where I think he'll play. All three are a few years younger than Mannus, btw)

Tbh, I think Mannus realised his international chance had gone after he left a full-time contract with Linfield to try his luck in England. When his trials there didn't work out, he came back to Ireland to play for Shams, and if he and the club are doing well, then he's probably happy enough.

Of course none of those youngsters might work out, in which case he might get back into the frame in another year or two. But if that happens, then I doubt that his opting out of this Tour will have burned his bridges with NI; if nothing else, he has proved his loyalty by joining numerous squads previously, without ever being likely to play.

P.S. Pleased to hear he's playing well for Shams - for all that he was a Bluenose(!), I always admired his attitude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Good post EG but do you fear that NI fans will look at is as he has turned down the chance to play for his country to play for one of the big nationlist clubs down south?? and therefore give him a bad reception if he does get called into the squad in future (Not points for guessing which club these fans come from)
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Good post EG but do you fear that NI fans will look at is as he has turned down the chance to play for his country to play for one of the big nationlist clubs down south?? and therefore give him a bad reception if he does get called into the squad in future (Not points for guessing which club these fans come from)
    Assuming you refer to Linfield, nothing would surprise me about some of their support!

But tbf, afaik, Mannus is/was highly regarded by their fans, there was no resentment when he left Windsor to try his luck in England, nor when he came back to sign for Shams.

And since he has never challenged for the top spot as keeper, but has always been content to be called upon on the rare occasions when Taylor (or Carroll) were unavailable, then I think most people accept (or should, at least) that his attitude towards playing for NI has never been in doubt before.

Besides, when you look at the list of other players who have pulled out from this Tour, it is so long that I suspect the bulk of any anger is directed at the IFA for putting them in such a difficult position for so poxy an event.

But as I say, there's no accounting for Linfield fans...

P.S. What kind of money would Mannus be on? I imagine it's decent, but hardly life-changing. That is, if he looks after himself and has another few years in him (as he should), then he should do OK out of the game. But as against that, if he screws up, Shams could probably find a replacement handy enough. In which case, I personally don't blame the guy for keeping himself right with his employer.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Mannus is a better keeper any way, but when you compare their professional attitude/desire to play and win for Rovers, I'm thrilled we have a professional like Big Al who seems desperate to see Rovers succeed.
    Why do your fans sing about him being a hun then, his religion shouldn't matter surely?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    AFAIK it has to be three players called up for international duty (incl. U21's)
    No, its only one. Cork got games called up when Joe Gamble was called up for the ROI tour to the US a couple of years ago. Some clubs haven't exercised the right to get games called off in recent times (Rovers with Ian Bermingham last year for example)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    P.S. What kind of money would Mannus be on? I imagine it's decent, but hardly life-changing. That is, if he looks after himself and has another few years in him (as he should), then he should do OK out of the game. But as against that, if he screws up, Shams could probably find a replacement handy enough. In which case, I personally don't blame the guy for keeping himself right with his employer.
    Id say he is easily on over a grand a week but if you ask a Rovers fan he is probably only on €15 a week a packet of fruit pastilles and the love of playing in the hooped shirt
    Here on a technicality.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie View Post
    interesting decision from Mannus. I presume he's confident that he'll still be included in NI squads for competitive games.

Can Rovers get League games postponed if 1 player is picked for a competitive game?
    No. usual is three players out before postponement granted. Although a club may apply for postponement of any game it is difficult to see one granted in these circumstances (one player called up). Also the matches concerned are not competitive in this case, so even less chance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast