Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Ireland Football Championship 2010

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

All-Ireland Football Championship 2010

Galway beat New York, but the "real" Championship starts Sunday, when Kerry face Tipperary and Derry take on Armagh. Might sound like typical Kerry, but can't see them getting past the last four this year, after all the various retirements and withdrawals (Murphy, O'Sé, Kennelly). Assuming they win, the match with Cork's away, where our luck hasn't been good the last few seasons. Dublin should cruise Leinster as usual, but in many ways, they're the England of the GAA, tearing weak opposition apart before crumbling when it comes to the crunch. Mayo v Galway will decide Connaught, and even though Mayo are much improved, they'll choke in Croker against anyone half-decent. Finally, Ulster is always the toughest to call, but I'll go for Armagh beating Down in the final. Semi-finals of Kerry v Tyrone, Cork v Dublin with the Rebels finally coming good against Tyrone in September.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Meath for a third semi final in 4 years!
    UCD sha-la-la

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Like Germany, I'd never rule you out, but you're still a young team so probably Mayo and a few of the Ulster teams ahead of you at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Assuming they win, the match with Cork's away
    It's in Killarney. Replay was in Cork last year. It will be pretty much the same old story anyway. Kerry aren't anywhere near the crisis that has been suggested. The only two players that ye had lost really were Tommy Walsh and Mike McCarthy, and now that McCarthy is back ye are virtually down nothing on last year. Donaghy missed most of last season so he will replace Walsh from the All Ireland winning team. I don't think Tadhg Kennelly is that major a loss really although he played well in the Final last year. Daragh O'Sé wasn't close to his previous force so I think he can be replaced by Quirke who will field a similar amount of ball, if not more. Forwards win All Ireland and with Gooch, Donaghy, Galvin and possibly the best player in the country in Declan O'Sullivan ye'll be very close again. Being realistic Cork and Tyrone are possibly the only two teams in the country capable of beating ye and it's hard to know which Tyrone will turn up from year to year. Cork obviously have a massive chance but injuries to experienced players could be costly. Canty, Miskella and Lynch can't seem to shake off their various injuries but they do have a relatively strong panel as long as they stay away from the likes of Fintan Gould, Derek Kavanagh and Kieran O'Connor.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 13/05/2010 at 8:43 PM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Im not as interested in the GAA this year but thats probably because im in Longford and were crap but good luck to the rest of ya because were not going to get past the 1st qualifing round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Couldn't really be bothered this year to be honest. It almost seems as if it's getting worse every year.
    You've got no fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Can't see the sideline and handpass rules being as strictly enforced for the rest of the summer, these things usually trail off after the first few weeks. As usual, the Ulster match was fairly niggly for the first 50 minutes, but no doubt that Armagh's class showed through in the end. Kerry won by a bigger margin than I expected, Sheehan and Galvin performed well, but Donaghy will need to be more consistent in Cork and the defence and goalie looked shaky at times. It's probably time the Championship was run off in eight seeded groups of four, you'll likely be able to count the number of provincial shocks on one hand this year.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    God that handpass rule is so inconsistent and stupid just let them get on with it. I must say I really enjoyed the football now that its back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    was at the Kerry Tipp game. They never got out of second gear really.

First XV is very strong but their bench isn't great
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cullenswood View Post
    M*ath for a third semi final in 4 years!
    In defeference to a higher power, No!
    Good win for An Lu v. The Lillywhites yesterday.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    At the very least, you look to be heading for the final, can't see Westmeath being up to much. The first real shocks of the season, certainly didn't expect Sligo or Monaghan to really challenge this year. Definitely should have backed the draw yesterday, even the replay's probably just a bit of sparring before the real showdown in August/September.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Cork were in a great position to win but couldn't finish it off. That said the last free awarded to Kerry was unbelievably soft.

Still think cork might win the replay as Kerry don't seem to like playing in cork and the game should have brought Cork on. However the Cork forwards have to perform a lot better. Only Kerrigan stood out. Kerry will probably have Galvin back as well.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Same old same old from Cork, they havent moved on a jot from last year. Surprised that O'Neill isnt on the starting team. Galvin did make a difference when he came on but Cork still havent learned to kill a game which remains a big worry over this team. Having said that the last min free for Kerry was a disgrace and am in no doubt it was the gaa up to its old tricks again. In this day and age, extra time should be played, its alot to be expecting families to fork out 30+ a ticket two weeks in a row.

Also anyone hear Brolly and Bernard Flynns comments on the world cup in the take your point programme on rte radio one last night, lets just say if any football pundit said the same about the GAA championship, there would be uproar!! Dunno why these lads always feel the need to justify their sports over others, insecurities perhaps!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Watched all the games this weekend. Have to say enjoyed them all bar the Cork game. Sligo (delighted for Mortimer) and Monaghan were well worth their win, and Jesus Louth played Gaelic like it should be played, def shoud get to the L final.
    Cork always seem to lie down for Kerry IMHO. (sorry!).
    Hurling was great today too, pity Clare didnt have enough in the second half but they will still be around for a while Id say.

But might not be in much humour for next week or after ............................for obvious reasons.................

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    If Louth can make a Leinster final it will be a huge boost for them, and while they'll lose to Dublin or Meath, it's a stepping stone. I've always believe that if just once Louth can take a chance in 100 and beath Dublin or Meath, they'll suddenly find a new belief and confidence instead of choking year after year. That 1 in 100 turns into 1 in 20, to 1 in 10. Kerry seem to be able to find another gear and much as it grates on me, they are looking like another win. Interesting to see how Dublin shape up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Saw all the games too. The Mayo Sligo game, while exciting, was dire. Really dire. Sligo were worth their win, and it makes Connaught interesting. The sentimentalist in me thinks Leitrim could make a real push in honour of their fallen comrade.
    The Kildare Louth game was a thriller. Some real good football, and those surprised by Louth shouldn't be. They've been making huge strides in the past 3 seasons especially at underage, and the Leinster final is there for the taking. I was disappointed with Kildare though. I really thought they'd kick on this year, and I was surprised with Dermot Earley, he seemed to get flustered very easily.
    The Ulster match was the real surprise. I never thought Armagh would lie down and die like that. Crossmaglen's dominance in the past decade could prove to be their downfall. As for Monaghan, the result was only half the story. Unless there is another issue that has been kept from the public, what McEnaney did was disgraceful, in my opinion. He informed journo's that he made 3 phonecalls when the original keeper was deemed unfit. One to the full back he was putting in goal, another to the sub that was going midfield and finally to the midfielder going in full-back. Not a call to the Sub-keeper informing him that he wouldn't be replacing the first choice. That's bad form in my opinion, as lets be honest, it's makes a show of the sub-keeper, who only found out while sitting on the team bus.

As for the big one, I thought the draw was reasonably fair, Kerry were outplayed for a long stretch, but when they did get the ball they did use it well. Most of the analysis focussed on the two Cork goal chances that were saved, I reckon the Kerry chances were far better, and the misses were far worse. Had Donaghy goaled in the first half Cork would have been a few down early on. As it stands I'm happy, Declan, Donaghy, Scanlon, Marc O'Se (despite the plaudits about the blocks - Kerrigan cleaned him out), Tommy Griffin, Killian and Mike Mac all had games to forget, and I don't believe that will be replicated two days running. I'm pretty optimistic about next weekend I have to be honest, Cork nullified Quirke's advantage by not kicking the ball towards him , and I expect Maher to start in his place. I'm assuming Galvin will replace Darren O'Sullivan as Donncha Walsh was decent. Finally hats off to Bryan Sheehan. That's the first big game that I've seen him stand toe to toe with his direct opponent and not bottle out. His reaction to Gooch getting floored was encouraging also. His play was very good, won more ball than he lost and his free taking, as usual, was flawless.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Mayo were woeful on Saturday. I'd like to see a clear out and O'Mahony has to go once this team gets murdered in the qualifiers. No leadership and no balls. Sligo were the complete opposite. Hungry, fired up and willing to take risks. I hope they go on and give Galway a pasting as well.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    If Louth can make a Leinster final it will be a huge boost for them, and while they'll lose to Dublin or Meath, it's a stepping stone. I've always believe that if just once Louth can take a chance in 100 and beath Dublin or Meath, they'll suddenly find a new belief and confidence instead of choking year after year.
    If we could just beat the ultimate nemisis. And I don't mean the Dubs.... Reaching the Final would be a great achievement with hopefully a decent showing in the Championship proper??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Provincial finals are good targets for the weaker (ish) counties, particularily if the draw is good, as it parachutes you to the end of the qualifiers, one game from the All-Ireland series.
    This year you're looking at Westmeath or Louth, prob Limerick and a good chance of either Sligo or Roscommon/Leitrim.
    The qualifiers are going to be poxy this season. Derry, Armagh, Donegal, Antrim, Kildare, Wicklow, Mayo all in round 1!
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Meath/Dublin will be a tricky draw also, quietly confident the Pairc Ui Chaoimh hoodoo of recent years can be broken, Maher made a real difference in midfield when he came on for Quirke and while it's 50/50 about Galvin's fitness, I'd be very surprised if he didn't start Sunday.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast