Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Weekend games (30 April)

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i didnt say the budgets had become more even. I said the quality had become more evenly distributed due to the demise of Cork and Derry. Can you not acknowledge that? And im not sure how it reflects that badly on O'Neill or Fenlon or any other manager. There are only so many players any club can sign.
    Especially with about 90% of players out of contract at the end of last season, budget should equal quality in the hands of a decent manager.

The demise of Cork and Derry gave Bohs and Shamrock Rovers further opportunities to stretch the gap - Bohs Higgins, McGlynn, Gray were signed by Bohs, while Murphy, Murray, and Dennehy were signed by Shamrocks.

Bohs signing of Aaron Greene to compete with Byrne, Madden, Quigley and Cretaro, at nearly €1k a week illustrates the Bohs' board determination to spend to another title, and the Bohs performances to date brings Fenlons signing abilities into question

With Shelley, Heary, McGuinness, Oman, Rossiter, Powell, Cronin, Keegan, Brennan, Murphy, Byrne, Madden retained from last years squad, compared with just about 4 each at Dundalk (Cherrie, Kelly, Burns, Mulvenna) or St Pat (Rogers, Lynch, Guy, Byrne) it must reflect poorly on Fenlons inability to integrate a smaller number of high quality/high earning players into an established league winning squad.

You both seemed to pick up on one point i made about new players and isolated it. I thought 2 intelligent posters like yourselves would understand the points i was making.
    I don't know whether to be offended or flattered!

I understood all your points - I just thought that they made no sense, other then questioning Fenlons performance to date

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    The 4 Fingal fans broke into a crazy round of applause at the final whistle. Fair play to them for travelling, must be hard to leave Dublin.

We had at least 384 chances to score too, deserved a point at least but it's not to be.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Its unfair to expect Fans of Dublin clubs to travel so far away. Sligo should be relocated in Meath to make it fair for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    The 4 Fingal fans

There was 4? Where'd the fourth come out of??!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    The 4 Fingal fans broke into a crazy round of applause at the final whistle. Fair play to them for travelling, must be hard to leave Dublin.

We had at least 384 chances to score too, deserved a point at least but it's not to be.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    There was 4? Where'd the fourth come out of??!!
    Fingal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post

that looks like somthing i'd draw

9. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Looks like a good wine to me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Looks like a good wine to me!
    bitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Especially with about 90% of players out of contract at the end of last season, budget should equal quality in the hands of a decent manager.

The demise of Cork and Derry gave Bohs and Shamrock Rovers further opportunities to stretch the gap - Bohs Higgins, McGlynn, Gray were signed by Bohs, while Murphy, Murray, and Dennehy were signed by Shamrocks.

Bohs signing of Aaron Greene to compete with Byrne, Madden, Quigley and Cretaro, at nearly €1k a week illustrates the Bohs' board determination to spend to another title, and the Bohs performances to date brings Fenlons signing abilities into question

With Shelley, Heary, McGuinness, Oman, Rossiter, Powell, Cronin, Keegan, Brennan, Murphy, Byrne, Madden retained from last years squad, compared with just about 4 each at Dundalk (Cherrie, Kelly, Burns, Mulvenna) or St Pat (Rogers, Lynch, Guy, Byrne) it must reflect poorly on Fenlons inability to integrate a smaller number of high quality/high earning players into an established league winning squad.
    I think it is unquestionable that budget does equals quality in the case of Bohs. It just hasnt clicked yet and Fenlon hasnt found the right blend from the old and the new. Is that his fault? Absolutely. But im confident he will and the good thing is that it so far no other team or manager is any better at meeting the same challenge any more consistently. And certainly not enough to make it count so far. I certainly dont think it brings Fenlons "signing abilities" into doubt, moreso his tactical/managerial ability. And even then, any questioning is temporary. The man has done more than enough in his career with Bohs to be given time to find his team this season. You should be asking yourself why your team and manager havent been able to take advantage of our averageness.

I don't know whether to be offended or flattered!

I understood all your points - I just thought that they made no sense, other then questioning Fenlons performance to date
    Be flattered, im not here to offend. Apologies that my original post made no sense to you, it did to me but maybe i wasnt clear enough for you.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    bitter
    If it gets you drunk, is good lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post

everyone knows the green ones are more sour...

Last edited by SkStu; 02/05/2010 at 1:13 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I know we all have games where we say "it could have been ten" but tonight it really could have.

Scored 7, missed a penalty, two cleared off the lines and missed three one on ones. Rampant stuff.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    How many goals has McDaid scored for derry this season ?
    Ahhh

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MariborKev View Post
    I know we all have games where we say "it could have been ten" but tonight it really could have.

Scored 7, missed a penalty, two cleared off the lines and missed three one on ones. Rampant stuff.
    Sounds like the forwards had a stinker Kev lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    5 goals i reckon.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Ireland is where ambition and incompetence meets creating bankers, politicians and Loi Chairmen
    brilliant

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I think it is unquestionable that budget does equals quality in the case of Bohs. It just hasnt clicked yet and Fenlon hasnt found the right blend from the old and the new. Is that his fault? Absolutely.
    Agreed - budget should equal quality and quality should equal points. Bohs and Fenlon have dramatically underperformed.

To put it into context - for Bohs the cost per point won to date (based on estimated budget) is about €5,500 - €6,000, whereas for Pats and Dundalk its in the region of €1,500 per point.

You can argue whether Fenlon has made the wrong signings or focus on his tactical and man-management limitations. Either way, the buck stops with Fenlon and his players.

You should be asking yourself why your team and manager havent been able to take advantage of our averageness.
    I imagine that the vast majority of Pats and Dundalk supporters are very content with the performances of the respective teams and managers.

Six points ahead of the leagues Viv Nicholson, and a new form of entertainment reading the Bohs forum!

Of course it can hardly last, even the above Viv Nicholson should be able to win the league with the squad at Bohs. But its fun while it lasts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Sligo fans still going for that 3rd place finish ? Its a club I like, but the amount of cocky posts on here in Feb/Mar about such a high table finish was just incredible. Even if we beat Rovers tomorow, I would still say 3rd for us would be a massive ask.

Maybe its time for everyone (myself included) to recognise what a quality side Fingal are. If they can build up their home support, they would be a good addition to the PD.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

You can argue whether Fenlon has made the wrong signings or focus on his tactical and man-management limitations. Either way, the buck stops with Fenlon
    Interesting to see how he deals with the differences of opinion between certain players after the game the other night.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast