Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban the booers for life.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ban the booers for life.......

Those who bood Miller last night should be banned from all Ireland home games for life. Bringing issues regarding a scottish club in a mickey mouse league and their plastic supported english counterparts to Irish games is a disgrace. Celtic fans have some cheek thinking that they have the right to boo an Irish player at Lansdowne because of issues regarding Celtic.

I thought the booing of Milan Baros was a disgrace as well, along with people calling him "scouse scum". This mostly came from Dublin supporters might I add. Do the majority of Irish fans really give a sh*it about what some petty Man United fan thinks of a Liverpool player? This coming from a club whose support base is made up of a majority of glory hunters that only started supporting them from 1992 onwards. What reason does an Irish fan have for insulting Milan Baros - he plays in the ENGLISH premiership, and has nothing to do whatsoever with Irish football. His only crime last night was scoring a goal, but he was being bood from the minute he stepped on the pitch. The Rangers issue was clouded with religios issues, but the most disturbing part of this now is that players are being boo'd for footballing reasons by Irish "fans" who support British clubs.

I'm seriously thinking of writing a letter to the FAI to ask them to ban these idiots for life. Would anyone else here be interested in sending letters to the FAI, because I could draw up a draft letter for all to use?
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 01/04/2004 at 2:36 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Really surprised about the Baros issue. Wonder what these people think of Finnan, McAteer, Aldridge, Whelan, Houghton, Heighway, Babb, Kennedy, Lawerson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    Those who bood Miller last night should be banned from all Ireland home games for life. Bringing issues regarding a scottish club in a mickey mouse league and their plastic supported english counterparts to Irish games is a disgrace. Celtic fans have some cheek thinking that they have the right to boo an Irish player at Lansdowne because of issues regarding Celtic.
    I agree with much of what you say but, in my eyes at least, you seriously devalue your points by your blanket labelling of Irish Celtic fans above. Something that people hereabouts find all to easy to do, sadly.

Let's be clear, once and for all. Many of those involved in such booing have probably never stepped foot in Scotland in their lives, let alone been to see Celtic. Some Celtic fans, non? Much discussion has taken place, here and elsewhere, over this issue. In the main, Irish Celtic fans are well aware that when Miller plays for Ireland, he gets our full backing. Nothing less. Whatever happens at Celtic is another story. We are clear on that, and react accordingly.

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 01/04/2004 at 2:51 PM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i didn't hear Miller being booed, he got a great reception from what i could see, saddens me to hear there were idiots booing though. the Baros thing was as bad, he was applauding the crowd as he walked of and a bunch of idiots booed a guy who did nothing except score, and that in a friendly, pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    i didn't hear Miller being booed, he got a great reception from what i could see, saddens me to hear there were idiots booing though. the Baros thing was as bad, he was applauding the crowd as he walked of and a bunch of idiots booed a guy who did nothing except score, and that in a friendly, pathetic.
    Thats why I think we, the real fans, should try and do something about this. Its becoming increasingly annoying. In England, if fans start giving racial abuse etc, stewards can eject them from the ground, and in some cases ban them for life. This needs to be looked at for Irish games. Would these idiots be any loss to the atmosphere at LR? No. Why continue to put up with them then?

Regarding my comments on Celtic Plastic Paddy, I'm sick to my teeth of Celtic fans. Even seeing people with Celtic tops at Irish games ****es me off - Celtic are not Irish, they are not an Irish club, why wear the bloody jersey at Irish games? You're there to support Ireland, wear an Irish football top. Its because of Celtic and their supporters that the whole booing problem has started in LR in the first place, and some of these idiots even extended their ignorance to one of their own last night - how pathetic is that? When it comes to supporting Celtic, these fans are regarded as among the best in the world. I just wish that alot of them would just pi*ss off when it comes to supporting Ireland. Or else leave issues regarding Celtic out of Irish football, along with the Celtic jerseys, scarves and tracksuits.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If people are going to go to Ireland games dressed in GLASGOW Celtic, & various ENGLISH Premiership jerseys, hates etc... how the hell does anyone expept them not to act out their club rivalrys.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    You forget that many people from the north and the wider diaspora come to LR for Ireland matches. Celtic as a club are the product of the diaspora, which is one reason why I and many others follow them. You might not consider them to be Irish, but they help me define my identity in footballing terms. And for that reason, it makes them a product of the island, like it or no.

How do you feel seeing lads walk into LR with ManYoo, Liverpool or Arsenal gear on? Does it upset you in quite the same way?

Look, I do have some sympathy with your resentment as you state your case clearly, but all I ask as an Ireland and a Celtic fan is that you apply such views consistently. Like I asked before, how many of those people involved in the booing do you think are real Celtic fans? Not many, I'd vouch. I'd point you in the general direction of teenaged Dublin knackers first.

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    If people are going to go to Ireland games dressed in GLASGOW Celtic, & various ENGLISH Premiership jerseys, hates etc... how the hell does anyone expept them not to act out their club rivalrys.

At the risk of being pedantic, Pete, to the best of my knowledge, there's no club called Glasgow Celtic. "Celtic" yes, but no prefix.

I take your point though.

PP

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats why I think we, the real fans, should try and do something about this. Its becoming increasingly annoying. In England, if fans start giving racial abuse etc, stewards can eject them from the ground, and in some cases ban them for life. This needs to be looked at for Irish games. Would these idiots be any loss to the atmosphere at LR? No. Why continue to put up with them then?

Regarding my comments on Celtic Plastic Paddy, I'm sick to my teeth of Celtic fans. Even seeing people with Celtic tops at Irish games ****es me off - Celtic are not Irish, they are not an Irish club, why wear the bloody jersey at Irish games? You're there to support Ireland, wear an Irish football top. Its because of Celtic and their supporters that the whole booing problem has started in LR in the first place, and some of these idiots even extended their ignorance to one of their own last night - how pathetic is that? When it comes to supporting Celtic, these fans are regarded as among the best in the world. I just wish that alot of them would just pi*ss off when it comes to supporting Ireland. Or else leave issues regarding Celtic out of Irish football, along with the Celtic jerseys, scarves and tracksuits.
    At the final whistle on saturday a jubilant fan ran onto the pitch to hug Brian O'Driscoll wearing, yes youve guessed it - a Celtic jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    How do you feel seeing lads walk into LR with ManYoo, Liverpool or Arsenal gear on? Does it upset you in quite the same way?
    Yes it does, I don't understand it. I wouldn't wear a club jersey, not even an EL one, nor would I wear a GAA jersey, or an Irish Rugby top. In any case, very few fans, if hardly any at all, wear English club tops. Its mostly Celtic fans wearing Celtic tops. They're confusing supporting Celtic and supporting Ireland, which are two very different things. I support Ireland, yet I have no affinity for Celtic. This is where the problem begins - Do you not agree that Celtic fans should leave their Celtic issues and Celtic gear at home for Ireland games?

Like I asked before, how many of those people involved in the booing do you think are real Celtic fans? Not many, I'd vouch. I'd point you in the general direction of teenaged Dublin knackers first.
    This is precisely why we should be looking to throw them out and get them banned for life (The same age group that are probably going through the customary 'Wolfe Tones\Tiocfaidh ar la\IRA' phase that most young Celtic fans go through). This also applies to the Man U "fans" who had a go at Baros. (I'm glad to say in 15 years of going to LR, I've never heard any Liverpool fans insult Irelands United or Everton players. The way it should be)

I appreciate what Celtic means to Irish people in Britain, I just don't understand it when it comes to supporting Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    in defence of at least some of the Celtic fans, i think if Celtic played in red for example you wouldn't see the shirts at Irish games, at least they're wearing green and adding a bit of colour.

i saw someone wearing a plymouth argyle shirt last night, no doubt because it was green. there are certain things on which you can cut people some slack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    If fans are willing to splash out on Plymouth Argyle/Celtic shirts, they should be willing to splash out on Irish shirts. There's no excuse for regulars at LR to continue to wear other teams shirts. I can guarantee if Ireland qualified for a WC or EC Finals that there'd be a stampede to buy jerseys though.

In any case, the issue here is Celtic fans booing Liam Miller. Whats next? I dread to think that this cancer will spread to other Irish fans - it's already rubbed off of the Man Ure supporters with their treatment of Baros.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    At the risk of being pedantic, Pete, to the best of my knowledge, there's no club called Glasgow Celtic. "Celtic" yes, but no prefix.
    I remember years ago a scottish fan wrote into an english football magazine complaining about the fact that they were calling "Celtic" , "Glasgow Celtic". The letter writer noted that they didnt call Arsenal, London Arsenal or none of the other teams were given names like London millwall, London Totenham etc.

The magazine replied that they checked with celtic and were duly informed that the team were officially called Glasgow Celtic.

As an Irishman when i hear the word Cetic and football, i immediately think of Cork Celtic, Belfast Celtic or Lurgan Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    I remember years ago a scottish fan wrote into an english football magazine complaining about the fact that they were calling "Celtic" , "Glasgow Celtic". The letter writer noted that they didnt call Arsenal, London Arsenal or none of the other teams were given names like London millwall, London Totenham etc.

The magazine replied that they checked with celtic and were duly informed that the team were officially called Glasgow Celtic.

As an Irishman when i hear the word Cetic and football, i immediately think of Cork Celtic, Belfast Celtic or Lurgan Celtic.
    Looks like the magazine was wrong - no surprise when English football magazines report on Celtic. The name of the august organisation under discussion is "The Celtic Football and Athletic Club". There's never been any reference to Glasgow in the club's title. Not even in the days (up until the late 1940s) when the great Belfast Celtic could lay equal share to the suffix.

At the risk of being pilloried for this (especially in the PROC, etc.), I don't think Cork (or Lurgan or Donegal) Celtic should be mentioned in the same breath. But I digress...

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    why wear the bloody jersey at Irish games?
    I just want to get a little off my chest about the steriotype that a lot of Celtic fans are judged by. I am 100% behind whatever Miller does BTW. Sorry about the off topicness but it was brought in earlier.

A lot of people think that fans were Celtic jersey's to Ireland matches because they think their Irish, what a load of cr*p. I don't wear a Celtic jersey to Lansdowne because I have an Ireland jersey but what about the people who don't have Ireland jersey's? What should they wear? I'll tell you what they should wear, something green. Therefore they should wear a Celtic, Shamrock Rovers, Hibs, Panathanaikos, whatever jersey or form of clothing if it is green. As we all know there is a higher population of Celtic fans then other clubs therefore you will see more jersey's (although its not as many Celtic jersey's as people think).

Believe me if you like but I don't actually know one person who says Celtic is an irish club. Of course they have Irish roots which obviously got a lot of Irish supporting them a few DECADES ago. Most people don't just pick a team in a league and start supporting them, they usually start supporting them because their father or bigger brother supports them and that is at the age of about 6-10.

People don't just get to the age of 16 and think Oh, Celtic are Catholic, lets support them. If they do they are not the Celtic fans I and many others want to be associated with. Just because a few skangers are brought up supporting them doesn't mean the club deserves to be hated.

I am happy that club I support was founded by and Irishman and is also managed and owned by an Irishman but that is certainly not the reason I decided to support them and the same can be said for many others. Of course 90% of Irish-Celtic fans wouldn't support the club if it hadn't got Irish roots but that is not my fault or indeed my father's, it is our ancestors. My kids will probably support Celtic because I do but they don't deserve to be called bigots because they support them.

If people do think Celtic are an Irish club, so what? I don't know much about Celtic's history but if I, as an Irishman, set up a club it would be Irish, wouldn't it? I would certainly want it to be. And by saying they wear Celtic jersey's to Irish matches because they think they are Irish (they think they are Irish, what did they do wrong?), why isn't there Shelbourne jersey's at the matches? if there actually is, why aren't you giving out about them?

I brought the word skanger into it and from who I saw booing last night, they were the definition of a skanger. I would want these thrown out of LR and never to be seen again.

I know you are all going to ask me what the hell am I going on about this for, its just that there is a general hatred against Celtic fans on most Irish boards because of the scumbags that were their jersies. if there was no hatred, most people would see no problem with Celtic jersies because they are green.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sadly this is not the first time were some of our player's were booed due to club reason's, the worst i felt were the a**hole's who booed Kevin Grogan, Graham Barrett and David McMahon when they were introduced to the crowd @ half time during during the freindly with Mexico in may 98 just because they played for Man u, Arsenal and Newcastle, and this was while they were showing off the first international trophy we've ever won. Some thank's those lad's got for winning us a trophy.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    many clubs in continental europe were formed by englishmen but you wouldnt consider them english, you would consider them italian (as in the case of genoa) or austrian (austria vienna, i think).

panathanaikos are greek despite being formed by a man from asia minor.

All these "die-hard celtic supporters" have appeared in the last 5 or 6 years. go back before that and yould never meet a celtic "supporter" or see a celtic shirt.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I thought the booing of Milan Baros was a disgrace as well, along with people calling him "scouse scum". This mostly came from Dublin supporters might I add. Do the majority of Irish fans really give a sh*it about what some petty Man United fan thinks of a Liverpool player?
    Fcuking idiots,I was fuming at the sight of Baros on his way off applauding the crowd,while the d*ckhead Man U fans......I'm mean what the fiddlers fcuk does some nothing rivalry between north english cities have to do with us?
    I remember also at the Dutch game in 2001 when Jaap Stam was subjected to awful abuse for leaving United.How dare he!
    I totally agree that something has to be done to decrease moronic behaviour in LR.What can be done though,anyone any solutions?
    <insert witty remark>

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While there was some booing of Miller I think it was quickly dismissed by loud cheers and no one around me was booing because I was waiting for someone to boo. Though I was at the opposite end to the Schoolboy section which I'm sure were probably booing him and Baros and whoever else... too many little wannabe knackers get tickets for the friendlies. The whole booing Baros thing was ridiculous stupid Man Utd "fans" who probably have never even been to Old Trafford once.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I opened my window and booed randomly at passers by there the other day, there was bound to be at least one manu fan among the lot of em.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast