Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    In what sense? Far as I know, Rangers/Celtic is the only with a sectarian dimension. Hibs and Hearts hate each other, but Hibs play down their Irish identity in spite (or perhaps in sympathy with) Hearts' anti-Irish tendencies. In Dundee the Irish background is not even acknowledged as far as I know.
    There's definitely still a sectarian element in Edinburgh in the sense that you mention; Hearts' anti-Irish Catholic tendencies. Isn't Hearts-Celtic often a tense and hostile affair? Neil Lennon was physically attacked by a pitch invader a few seasons back and there was also a bit of controversy relating to political/religious/sectarian chanting from both sets of supporters.

Do Hibs actively play down their Irish heritage? Why not adopt a new crest and name, if so? Isn't it kind of integral to their existence? They have a few Irish players in their squad/youth teams, whereas Hearts don't have any; not that they necessarily have to in order to demonstrate they're an equal-opportunities employer and all that, but maybe it's a sign of enduring cultural biases or influences?

In Dundee, the Irish heritage of United may not be explicitly acknowledged by the club or city-folk any longer, but there's surely a lingering influence of the original socio-cultural identities of the respective communities who originally supported both Dundee clubs to be found within the modern communities who associate themselves with either team. I think you allude to that anyway in your last post in the sense that United are or have been seen as the working class club; for many in Dundee, historically, an Irish experience also happened to be a working class experience and a working class experience happened to be an Irish experience.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    There's definitely still a sectarian element in Edinburgh in the sense that you mention; Hearts' anti-Irish Catholic tendencies. Isn't Hearts-Celtic often a tense and hostile affair? Neil Lennon was physically attacked by a pitch invader a few seasons back and there was also a bit of controversy relating to political/religious/sectarian chanting from both sets of supporters.

Do Hibs actively play down their Irish heritage? Why not adopt a new crest and name, if so? Isn't it kind of integral to their existence? They have a few Irish players in their squad/youth teams, whereas Hearts don't have any; not that they necessarily have to in order to demonstrate they're an equal-opportunities employer and all that, but maybe it's a sign of enduring cultural biases or influences?

In Dundee, the Irish heritage of United may not be explicitly acknowledged by the club or city-folk any longer, but there's surely a lingering influence of the original socio-cultural identities of the respective communities who originally supported both Dundee clubs to be found within the modern communities who associate themselves with either team. I think you allude to that anyway in your last post in the sense that United are or have been seen as the working class club; for many in Dundee, historically, an Irish experience also happened to be a working class experience and a working class experience happened to be an Irish experience.
    Well I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that (my subsequent posts alluded to what you say about Irish-working class connections). Hibs have actively played down their Irish heritage though. They removed the harp for 50 years for god's sake!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You mean as in on their current badge, albeit not the biggest...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Hibs have actively played down their Irish heritage though. They removed the harp for 50 years for god's sake!
    Hadn't been aware of that. Was this the old crest?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Dunno, you're broadly right about Dundee though Danny...

The best point about the place in recent times, is it was even more pro-independence than even Glasgow.

There's a lot more I could say about both places, as in there & Edinburgh, but can't be bothered to pick through every semantic on the basis it might cause 'offence', so will leave that at now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Why did they choose to regain our harp?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Dundee (Fundee) is a cool place, I went to Uni in Glasgow and when we played a rugby match against Dundee we'd always stay over night. One thing you'd notice about the town is there are a lot of Irish sounding names, Dundee was one of the places that Irish immigrants could find work in the late 1800's so a load of them stopped, dropped and opened up shopp(ed)!

Lots of Irish people in the Uni too, really is a great town full of cheap beer and easily impressed girls.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Jute mills, marmalade (!!) factories & clothes? manufacturing were the original reasons for immigration. Now, Tesco...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    really is a great town full of cheap beer and easily impressed girls.
    Kind of regretting booking accommodation in Edinburgh after reading that

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    I was in Dundee on business a couple of years ago and wondered to myself how come such a sh1thole spawned two football teams that were very competitive in Europe and, in hindsight, what an opportunity the LOI teams had wasted. Back then plenty of teams like the Dundees, Gothenburg, Malmo did remarkable things in Europe.

Sorry, wangball, in my limited time in Dundee I just didn't see the bits you saw!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Hearts commonly known as "The Wee Huns" and are as vocal or more vocal with the sectarian bile than there blue nose cousins at castle grey skull

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    On a pedantic note...I have seen above in a few posts and often hear the linking of the blue half of Glasgow to Castle Grey Skull. However, I believe (and my memories from childhood unfortunately don't retain this information) is that it should in fact be referred to as Snake Mountain as Castle Greyskull is where He-Man got his good powers from!

Castle Greyskull

Definition
    Ibrox, the stadium where Rangers play. The term Castle Greyskull comes from the "He-Man" cartoon animations, but has lost popularity in recent years, since it was noted that the "Sorceress" who lives there is actually a goodie not a baddie. However it is one ugly building so more than fits Ibrox in that sense but nothing more.

One of the highlights of the term was in January 2006 when a weathergirl (Kirsty McCabe) on Reporting Scotland was presenting to the weather report, and jokingly referred to Ibrox as "Castle Greyskull"! She briefly gained some measure of notoriety following the forecast as she had recommended to Rangers fans heading to their game to "wrap up warm if they are heading for Castle Grayskull"!
    http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Ca...eyskull?t=anon

Anyway, more on topic, some years ago I was at Easter Road for a Hibs v Celtic game. I was in with the home fans behind the goal (couldn't get a Celtic Ticket at the time) and whenever the Celtic Support got in to full voice with a variety of Irish songs, this was met with quite aggressive anti-irish responses from the home support. I was quite surprised by this, as whilst I didn't expect Hibs fans to be bosom buddies with the Celtic support - I assumed (wrongly) that there would be some element of solidarity/camaraderie. The group I was with kept it fairly well hidden who we were in support of and wearing a green and white scarf didn't give it away either! Marc Rieper scored in a 1-0 for those interested
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Sorry, wangball, in my limited time in Dundee I just didn't see the bits you saw!
    The view I shared of Dundee was one held by my 18-22 year old self, I'm not sure I'd hold that view myself nowadays....I've since lost my beer tinted glasses!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    Hearts commonly known as "The Wee Huns" and are as vocal or more vocal with the sectarian bile than there blue nose cousins at castle grey skull
    I went to a Hearts V Spurs preseason game in Tynecastle a good few years back, Robbie Keane got injured and was stretchered off and I swear I've never heart insults like it. The crowd were hurling abuse at him - in some instances worse than you'd hear in Ibrox
    Last edited by Wangball; 24/10/2014 at 2:14 PM.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sad state of affairs. Of course, and maybe not on the same scale, we have plenty of morons ourselves. Remember that friendly at Lansdowne when some run of the mill Rangers player was being booed? Did it transpire that they were even booing the wrong player at one stage? My memory is patchy on this but I have Denmark in my head for some reason, so maybe it was (or meant to be) Lovenkrands? Was it Arveladze that was booed another time against Georgia, or maybe it was that defender with the long name that also played for Blackburn? Cringing stuff anyway.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/10/2014 at 2:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Sad state of affairs. Of course, and maybe not on the same scale, we have plenty of morons ourselves. Remember that friendly at Lansdowne when some run of the mill Rangers player was being booed? Did it transpire that they were even booing the wrong player at one stage? My memory is patchy on this but I have Denmark in my head for some reason, so maybe it was (or meant to be) Lovenkrands? Was it Arveladze that was booed another time against Georgia, or maybe it was that defender with the long name that also played for Blackburn? Cringing stuff anyway.
    yeah, the announcer said it was Peter Lovenkrands, but it was Peter Madsen

Was at a Norway game when Tore Andre Flo was warming up in front of the north terrace and he got booed, but just played up to the crowd and got a laugh about it
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Some would surely self-implode out of sheer confusion if Jon Daly ever lined out for us.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    I still think the reaction to the Lansdowne booing was hysterical and generally ill-informed. It was never malicious, much more of the pantomime variety. It was described on RTE chat shows as sectarian which was nonsense. What is sectarian about booing a representative of an overtly sectarian and wholly anti-Irish institution that even the Scots are embarrassed by? The way the Irish fans reacted to the PA announcer by then cheering Madsen and booing any Irish player said it all, as did Mick McCarthy's reaction. Mick wouldn't have condoned any sectarian behaviour but he completely "got it" and showed his displeasure at the announcer. The booing stopped soon afterwards and probably rightly so, - especially as it should be recognised that Celtic and Ireland are by no means interchangeable - but it was never a braying mob making a sectarian statement. If anything it was anti-sectarian.

This was discussed ad nauseam here years ago!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    The booing of the Irish players afterwards was one of the funniest things I've experienced at a football match. The South Terrace was a great place to be when we starting going in the mid-90's.

You've to contend with "shoes off.." now.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Some would surely self-implode out of sheer confusion if Jon Daly ever lined out for us.
    I got some abuse on twitter from some people after posting his goals for Rangers, nobody had a problem with him scoring for Dundee United!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I got some abuse on twitter from some people after posting his goals for Rangers, nobody had a problem with him scoring for Dundee United!
    Ah Jaysus. Some prize gob****es out there. No problem supporting English teams I'll bet.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast