Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Expenses?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Travel Expenses?

(Maybe this has been done before, put anyway)

80% of teams in the Premier League come from the Leinster area, with the majority of those teams now coming from Dublin. Does this put regional teams at an unfair disadvantage when it comes to travel costs of buses, food, accommodation etc. over the length of a season? For example:

Total mileage to Away games for St. Patrick’s Athletic: 1228km
    Total mileage to Away games for Sligo Rovers FC: 6068km

Should the FAI put a Travel Expenses system in place to help level the playing field or is it a case of you can’t help where you live!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    but then other things cost more in Dublin that around the country. We going to have everything adjusted?

While it might be a disadvantage to Galway and Sligo, the teams are all in that league on merit and will change over the course of time
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    but then other things cost more in Dublin that around the country. We going to have everything adjusted?

While it might be a disadvantage to Galway and Sligo, the teams are all in that league on merit and will change over the course of time
    Dont know if id agree with that (apart from the drink)

A dublin team will have 12 trips under 50km, 2 about 90km and 2 trips at about 210km.
    A regional team will have 12 trips at about 210km, 2 about 175 and 2 trips at about 140km.

Bus hire aint cheap.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post

Does this put regional teams at an unfair disadvantage?
    A disadvantage yes but not unfair.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Derry City will have to undertake no less that 9543km to away games this season. This will also require overnight stays in Waterford x2, Wexford x2 Limerick x2 and Cork x1. The time is surely right for an 16-18 team league, which will balance the amount of travelling and decrease the number of times a team plays another team in one season. For example, Bohs will play every team in the top tier 4 times not including cup games in the league cup, Fai Cup, Setanta Cup etc.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Limerick will probably get less points than Waterford this season, which is a disadvantage in terms of our promotion chances, and I'd like to see the FAI take action on it.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Why don't Sligo simply ask the FAI for the following example schedule

Sunday PM - Drive down to Dublin in a luxury air conditioned coach

Monday Evening - Play St Pats at Richmond Park - then retire to a B&B in Inchicore

Tuesday Evening - Play UCD at the Belfield Bowl - spend the night in the University Halls

Wedesday Evening - Head down the road to the SDCC Stadium to play Rovers - negotiate a decent room rate with the Maldron

Thursday Evening - Take a nice seaside trip down the coast - resulting in them playing Bray that evening - sleep on the platform in the Dart Station next door

Friday Evening - Get said Dart back into the city - then hop on the Airport Bus - getting off at Santry - short walk up to the Morton Stadium - play Sporting Fingal

Saturday Evening - Make the short journey to Dalymount, and play the fixture vs. Bohs - then it's a nice walk down to the Busaras where the squad could sleep in the station hall whilst waiting for a scheduled Bus Eireann service back West.

Travelling expenses slashed to a minimum - sure they could get a group deal on a dozen or so Rambler Tickets easily
    Kom Igen, FCK...

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The obvious solution is to relocate Sligo and Galway somewhere a little more accessible. Like Wicklow.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baz-dcfc View Post
    This will also require overnight stays in Waterford x2, Wexford x2 Limerick x2 and Cork x1.
    Require an overnight stay?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The obvious solution is to relocate Sligo and Galway somewhere a little more accessible. Like Wicklow.
    Smashing Idea, A la MK Dons, we could have The WW Tribesmen or the WW Culchie Rovers
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Thats the spirit. Think of it as bettering yourself socially

Won't be long before you can eat something other than ham sandwiches, then you'll stop watching killinaskully. By the end of the year you might even wear jeans with a belt.

When you start wearing tracksuits and injecting heroine, you've gone too far
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baz-dcfc View Post
    Derry City will have to undertake no less that 9543km to away games this season. This will also require overnight stays in Waterford x2, Wexford x2 Limerick x2 and Cork x1. The time is surely right for an 16-18 team league, which will balance the amount of travelling and decrease the number of times a team plays another team in one season. For example, Bohs will play every team in the top tier 4 times not including cup games in the league cup, Fai Cup, Setanta Cup etc.
    Harps are in much the same location as Derry (only about 35 miles of a difference) but we rarely, if ever, do an overnight stay in Limerick. There is no reason why you couldn't leave Derry at 10.30/11.00am on a Friday morning for a trip to Limerick. Stop around Galway for a pre-match meal at 1.30/2.00ish and you would still be in Limerick by 4.00pm. The expense of travelling on a Thursday to Limerick, staying overnight, hanging around all day Friday (and meals on a Thursday evening and probably two on a Friday) must mean huge expenses. I know, last season, Harps travelled up/down to Waterford as well on one-day trips (once for a game that was postponed an hour before kick). The same I would say is true of our trips this season to Limerick, Waterford and Wexford. Now, if the kick-offs were at 2.00pm on a Saturday/Sunday, we would have to do an overnighter, but where possible, we always do day trips. If Derry are going to do 7 overnights this season, I'd estimate each overnight to cost in the region of €1,500 - €2,000 EXTRA on top of bus hire. Then again, Stephen Kenny had Derry staying overnight on all trips to Dublin last season so he likes his nights away. I agree, getting the best preparation before a game is vital, but the costs involved in so many overnights is huge.
    Last edited by harps1954; 26/03/2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Everytime you think of the hassle of travelling to Dublin redobit - just think " hey its not all bad - I could be from Dublin".

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    then you'll stop watching killinaskully.
    Your actually suggesting someone watchs that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    Harps are in much the same location as Derry (only about 35 miles of a difference) but we rarely, if ever, do an overnight stay in Limerick. There is no reason why you couldn't leave Derry at 10.30/11.00am on a Friday morning for a trip to Limerick. Stop around Galway for a pre-match meal at 1.30/2.00ish and you would still be in Limerick by 4.00pm. The expense of travelling on a Thursday to Limerick, staying overnight, hanging around all day Friday (and meals on a Thursday evening and probably two on a Friday) must mean huge expenses. I know, last season, Harps travelled up/down to Waterford as well on one-day trips (once for a game that was postponed an hour before kick). The same I would say is true of our trips this season to Limerick, Waterford and Wexford. Now, if the kick-offs were at 2.00pm on a Saturday/Sunday, we would have to do an overnighter, but where possible, we always do day trips. If Derry are going to do 7 overnights this season, I'd estimate each overnight to cost in the region of €1,500 - €2,000 EXTRA on top of bus hire. Then again, Stephen Kenny had Derry staying overnight on all trips to Dublin last season so he likes his nights away. I agree, getting the best preparation before a game is vital, but the costs involved in so many overnights is huge.
    They stayed overnight in Sligo for I think their cup game against us last season iirc.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Our chairman estimated it would cost about €3000 i think for each overnight stay for mervue and salthill games.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    I know, last season, Harps travelled up/down to Waterford as well on one-day trips (once for a game that was postponed an hour before kick). The same I would say is true of our trips this season to Limerick, Waterford and Wexford. Now, if the kick-offs were at 2.00pm on a Saturday/Sunday, we would have to do an overnighter, but where possible, we always do day trips.
    Maybe that's part of the reason why Harps are still stuck in the first.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Apart from costs I don't see what the problem is in travelling for 3-4 hours for a game, especially in a league where everyone is pretty much in the same boat (ie part time). The difference between a part-time and full-time player isn't the level of training possible, it's recovery, so full time sides are one up on that score. In saying that I wonder if there could be a case made for a certain share of the gate going to the away side (as it used to in the English leagues, though I'm not sure if it operated here). 10% of gate take would at least make it a bit less difficult and for teams who bring big support with them mean they can get a little something back from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ha! Good luck getting planning permission for anything off Wicklow County Council.

Might have better luck just south of the border in Wexico.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Apart from costs I don't see what the problem is in travelling for 3-4 hours for a game, especially in a league where everyone is pretty much in the same boat (ie part time). The difference between a part-time and full-time player isn't the level of training possible, it's recovery, so full time sides are one up on that score. In saying that I wonder if there could be a case made for a certain share of the gate going to the away side (as it used to in the English leagues, though I'm not sure if it operated here). 10% of gate take would at least make it a bit less difficult and for teams who bring big support with them mean they can get a little something back from it.
    It's an idea alright, I think it did happen in our league before. Clubs who bring big away support would get something back but the majority of clubs don't bring much away support. The last two games in Tallaght for example, 3000 odd at both games, shligo had thirty fans maybe (fair enough it was a monday) and bray brought less than twenty. Just say 3000 paid in on the night that would equate to a four grand payment to clubs who brought no-one with them, couldn't see it as a goer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast