Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: McGlynn & O'Neill betting bans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Where did I claim Dempsey was innocent?

As it happends I've absolutely no problem with mcGlynn betting on LOI games, but then I wasn't trying to make this personal. i was trying to point out some facts for you, seeing as you refused to acknowledge them
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Let's try these 'seriousness equations' to see if the point can be got across:

Betting on your own team > than betting on other fixtures.
    5 offences > 1 offence.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Where did I claim Dempsey was innocent?

As it happends I've absolutely no problem with mcGlynn betting on LOI games, but then I wasn't trying to make this personal. i was trying to point out some facts for you, seeing as you refused to acknowledge them
    Most posters here and the PFAI accept that McGynn case was less serious than Dempsey due to the fact that McGynn was not involved in the clubs involved in the game(s) bet on . You dont accept this premise wheras I do so lets leave it there and move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Most posters here and the PFAI accept that McGynn case was less serious than Dempsey due to the fact that McGynn was not involved in the clubs involved in the game(s) bet on . You dont accept this premise wheras I do so lets leave it there and move on.
    Are you siggesting the FAI should base their disciplinary measures on what the PFAI and "most posters" believe is right? If you read any of my posts on this I've consistently pointed out two facts to you (McGlynn bet on multiple games and got a longer ban). You're the person who has a problem with this, not me.

(Oh and the PFAI backed dempsey too if you wanna start an argument about them too...)

But you're right, lets move on...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Really?

I think most people would consider paedophilia a lot worse than 2 consenting adults having incest?
    I think most people would rather that this bizarre analogy hadn't been brought up at all.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-1534603.html

Found this while looking back over the Dempsey stuff

Interesting enough in light of the Morrow and McGlynn cases
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    I think most people would rather that this bizarre analogy hadn't been brought up at all.
    You try explaining wrong from slightly less wrong to a bohs fan then.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Does anybody know what (if anything) the FAI rulebook (or another applicable rulebook) says about this?

If the FAI don't differentiate between a player betting on a game when they're not involved but their team is, and betting on a game between 2 teams to which the player is unconnected, then it would be logical that 5 bets would be punished more harshly than one bet.

If they do differentiate between the two, i can only imagine that the former is viewed as more serious than the latter, and would be punished more seriously also.

We are (or at least I am) just going on what we imagine to be the more serious offence, but in order to comment of the appropriateness of any punishment, we need to know if the rulebook makes a distinction between the two.
    Last edited by osarusan; 22/04/2010 at 4:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Does anybody know what (if anything) the FAI rulebook (or another applicable rulebook) says about this?

If the FAI don't differentiate between a player betting on a game when they're not involved but their team is, and betting on a game between 2 teams to which the player is unconnected, then it would be logical that 5 bets would be punished more harshly than one bet.

If they do differentiate between the two, i can only imagine that the former is viewed as more serious than the latter, and would be punished more seriously also.

We are (or at least I am) just going on what we imagine to be the more serious offence, but in order to comment of the appropriateness of any punishment, we need to know if the rulebook makes a distinction between the two.
    From the previous thread

RULE 100. BETTING / GAMBLING
    Anyone who directly or indirectly bets, instructs someone to bet on their behalf, or provides others with
    information for the purpose of betting or gambling on a result, conduct or progress of a match or
    competition in which that person or his club is participating or has control over, shall be subject to
    disciplinary sanctions.

Open to some interpretation, but the main point of discussion would be what constitutes the same competition, as there only seems to be one offence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Rovers versus Pats. Easy.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Nobody from Bohs brought up this disgusting analogy so don't link us to it. Guess its just the way your mind works

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-1534603.html

Found this while looking back over the Dempsey stuff

Interesting enough in light of the Morrow and McGlynn cases
    Ah yes, the FAI should base decisions on what Stephen Kenny thinks oh and way to go on the whole moving on thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I linked to the Kenny article, not for his comments on Dempsey, but rather his comment on the culture of gambling in Derry.

But continue to bring it around in circles as you see fit...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Nobody from Bohs brought up this disgusting analogy so don't link us to it. Guess its just the way your mind works
    So, would you still think the punishment was overly harsh were McGlynn still a Derry player?

Would any ban include non-domestic fixtures?

And have you learnt to count yet?

Or, using your flawless logic, would you agree that Derry can feel harshly treated last year because the precedent for an incorrectly registered player was a fine and points deduction; and when they were robbing peter to pay paul it was mainly ifa clubs they cheated, so it wasn't as serious if it had been a fellow loi team.

Or is that just the way your mind works?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    So, would you still think the punishment was overly harsh were McGlynn still a Derry player?

Yes, as I said many posts ago - equal treatment irrespective of club (do keep up)

Would any ban include non-domestic fixtures?
    Doubt it. FAI ban only (they could seek to widen ban). Would require a FIFA /UEAFA ban for non domestic as far as I know

And have you learnt to count yet?
    What the F***K are you talking about ??????

Or, using your flawless logic, would you agree that Derry can feel harshly treated last year because the precedent for an incorrectly registered player was a fine and points deduction; and when they were robbing peter to pay paul it was mainly ifa clubs they cheated, so it wasn't as serious if it had been a fellow loi team.
    There is no precedent that I am aware of for the number of rules Derry broke (registration, salary cap etc) not sure what point is RE LOI V IL teams.

Or is that just the way your mind works?
    See answer to your third question (above)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    See answer to your third question (above)
    I was refering to your seeming inability/reluctance to admit to something that the majority of people who can count would, probably, agree is an indisputable fact:

5 > 1

I see all may not be lost as you correctly recognised that Derry were treated differently as the scale of their wrong-doing was unprecedented. Perhaps the matter may have been dealt with differently had only one player's contract been in question.

I don't know maybe you got excited by my previous, undignified, outburst, but hopefully having confined myself to a footballing context you can see where I'm going with this.

McGlynn broke the same rule as Dempsey on a bigger scale.

I'll let that sink in...

...Therefore a bigger punishment can be justified.

Now, before you start telling us how betting against your own team is more wrong than betting against some teams in a lower division lets examine your answer to the suggesting that something can be justified like this (nonsensically).

not sure what point is
    Which leaves us with your assertion

Yes, as I said many posts ago - equal treatment irrespective of club (do keep up)
    Now I don't want to get you excited here, but I'm going to reference animal farm. As your worldview seems to reflect the writing on the wall.

marinobohs worldview: All clubs are equal, but bohs are more equal than others.

Now as a football fan that's perfectly acceptable, but sometimes even I take a step back from my paranoid delusions and have to admit that the world really isn't out to get me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    so to surmise its
    incest = bad
    phydos = very bad
    players betting on matches = terrrible
    priests betting on matches = ok as long as he is moved to another parish
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    so to surmise its
    incest = bad
    phydos = very bad
    players betting on matches = terrrible
    priests betting on matches = ok as long as he is moved to another parish
    You've almost got it. Just add in the gray areas

priest supporting a club other than bohs = ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I was refering to your seeming inability/reluctance to admit to something that the majority of people who can count would, probably, agree is an indisputable fact:

5 > 1

I see all may not be lost as you correctly recognised that Derry were treated differently as the scale of their wrong-doing was unprecedented. Perhaps the matter may have been dealt with differently had only one player's contract been in question.

I don't know maybe you got excited by my previous, undignified, outburst, but hopefully having confined myself to a footballing context you can see where I'm going with this.

McGlynn broke the same rule as Dempsey on a bigger scale.

I'll let that sink in...

...Therefore a bigger punishment can be justified.

Now, before you start telling us how betting against your own team is more wrong than betting against some teams in a lower division lets examine your answer to the suggesting that something can be justified like this (nonsensically).

Which leaves us with your assertion

Now I don't want to get you excited here, but I'm going to reference animal farm. As your worldview seems to reflect the writing on the wall.

marinobohs worldview: All clubs are equal, but bohs are more equal than others.

Now as a football fan that's perfectly acceptable, but sometimes even I take a step back from my paranoid delusions and have to admit that the world really isn't out to get me.
    Incest, paedophilia and now animal farm..... simply bizarre

Love the way you highlight a quote by me saying all clubs should be treated equal as prove I think (marinobohs worldview) Bohs should be treated differently ????? Again bizarre

By the way, while I had great sympathy for Derry and especially the fans I did NOT say they were treated badly/differently I said I was not aware of a similar precedent case, hardly the same thing by any (lack of) logic.

Yes, McGlynn commited a number of breaches (never denied) the argument was that betting on ones own club is worse than betting on an outside club - a point you are incapable of addressing. Similarly Morrow was worse again in my opinion because he bet on games he actually played in.

Time to exit this charade but before I go a couple of tips for you which I hope you find usefull

(1) Get an adult to read other peoples posts with you - they can explain the big words/sentences that appear to be beyond you .
    (2) Lay of the Dutch Gold before posting, you will be amazed at the difference it makes

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Yes, McGlynn commited a number of breaches (never denied) the argument was that betting on ones own club is worse than betting on an outside club - a point you are incapable of addressing. Similarly Morrow was worse again in my opinion because he bet on games he actually played in.
    But the point being made to you is that the rulebook doesn't seem to make the distinction between betting on matches involving your own team and matches not involving your own team, as long as you're not playing in the matches. Now you may not like that, or agree with it (I think the former is more serious also) but if that is what the rulebook says, the multiple bets by McGlynn would be punished more strictly than the single bet by Dempsey.
    Last edited by osarusan; 26/04/2010 at 10:25 AM.

24. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast