Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Diarmuid O'Carroll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Diarmuid O'Carroll

There's a striker at Celtic, Diarmuid O'Carroll. He scored the first goal when Ireland U19's beat Italy 2-0 in Bari a few months ago. Anyway, here is an article on him from a few months ago:
    http://www.terracetalkireland.com/pr...id_carroll.htm

I've always thought of him as just your average Irish youngster trying to make the break through until I seen a post on a Celtic forum. Celtic signed two young Icelandic duo in January who are highly rated. One of them (Finnbogason) was chased by the likes of Arsenal but chose Celtic. Anyway, here is a post by an Icelandic fell on the Celtic forum:

that would be O'Carroll who scored the 25 yarder. Finnbogason reckons he's the best young striker he has ever seen.
    I chat with Kjarri quite alot. I know Finnbogason personally and I asked about this player O'Carroll and he said he was unbelievably good - the best he's ever seen at that age.
    When you think that Finnbogason has just as many goals as he has appearances for Celtic, that is very high praise for the Kerryman.

I posted in the sticky above btw, he scored 2 goals against Rangers the other day. One from 25 yards. Keep your ears open. He's only 17 I think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Got this of the BBC 606 Celtic Forum on Diarmuid O'Carroll thread

We beat Gers under 19's 3-2 the other day. saw the game on Celtic T.V. The boy O'Carrol in that game scored an absolutely amazing goal and in general looked a very bright prospect along with Charlie Grant(Lennon lookalike in ability style and looks) Charlie Mugrew looks a born leader and the boy Fox between the sticks looked not bad either. Not sure if its the same O'Carrol as it seems a popular surname in the Celtic ranks but if it is Ireland has produced another fantastic footballer. Hope that helps. His goal involved killin the ball on his thigh and turning and striking a beautiful shot into the top corner.sheer class mate. Wish he was scottish. [reply]

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites
    Got this of the BBC 606 Celtic Forum on Diarmuid O'Carroll thread

Wish he was scottish. [reply]
    At least you have Micheal McGlinchey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    O'Carroll and O'Dea scored today as Celtic's U-19s won the championship to add to their youth cup and reserve title. O'Carroll has been scoring a lot recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.terracetalkireland.com/profiles/diarmuid_carroll.htm

Diarmuid O'Carroll
    Glasgow Celtic Star Diarmuid O'Carroll Talk to Terrace Talk

I must admit and unashamedly so that one of my favourite tasks being involved in writing about and interviewing sports people is, that of meeting and talking to young Kerry sports stars and hearing them explain their dreams and aspirations. I never cease to marvel at the magnificent talent both male and female this county continuously produces in such a wide variety of sports and indeed in all instances these young stars can express themselves in such an articulate and exemplary manner they would put many of their older generation to shame. International stars such as oarsman Paul Griffin, athletes Gillian o Sullivan and Laura Crowe, cyclists Paul Griffin and Eugene Moriarty, footballer Colm Cooper, basketball stars Brian Clarke, Kieran Donaghy, Shane Horgan and many more are all a credit to their families and their county.

And so it was last Saturday week I made the short trip to the top of the Ross Road in Killarney to meet a young man at his home whose career I have been following with huge interest for the last few years and my expectations were fully realised when at last I got to meet Diarmuid o Carrroll the rising Glasgow Celtic soccer star who was home on a flying visit literally in between training sessions with the legendary Glasgow club. Only days before I had read with great pride in the Examiner where this young man had been the star for the Irish under 19 Soccer team who had stunned Italy packed with pin-ups of Seri A as the beat them 2-0 in Bari. To my knowledge this was the first time in history that an Irish team had beaten the Italians on home ground, and the man who scored the first goal and made the second was our young Kerry hero.

As we sat in the comfortable and homely surroundings of the family home, chatting in great detail about his hopes dreams and aspirations for soccer greatness it was very obvious that here was a young man who as the fellow said, 'has his head well screwed on', no airs are graces, articulate, courteous, unaffected by the trappings of professional football with one of the biggest clubs in the world, determined and so focused as to what is required of him to succeed in the cut throat world of his chosen sport he warmed immediately to our interview when I asked him about the world renowned rivalry between Celtic and Rangers and what's it like when they meet in the Glasgow derby.

' It's unbelievable, usually we train fierce hard every Tuesday and Thursday with a game on Saturday, but when we are meeting Rangers it's completely different, the coach rests us for a week, nothing hard, you know this is the big one and you must perform, it's all out on Saturday, the coach starts winding you up early in the week getting in little digs every day about Rangers, making sure you are up for it. He warns that we will get all sorts of abuse from the crowd who will be shouting and hurling insults, we are told just to roll with it, smile away and say nothing, don't get involved, keep the discipline and do the business. Of course some of the players are dyed in the wool Celtic men all their lives and for Celtic to beat Rangers is the most important thing in their lives, but it's great stuff, unbelievable, last year we played Rangers in a reserve match in Ibrox fourteen thousand present, and ten thousand of them Rangers fans the noise was deafening, we drew, it was great to be involved.

And of course when the senior sides meet it's something else, it's better to keep out of their way for the week proceeding the game, when I was with the youths squad we would have to look after the playing gear of the first team, and if everything was not perfect there would be war, even the length of the boot laces each player needed had to be spot on, strapping, bicycle shorts if needed or anything else unusual , everything had to be exact. The tension in the dressing room before the Rangers games is electric and the home players would be geeing up the foreign lads telling them the history of the clash. Henric Larsson was one of my heroes, and following his last game before his transfer he gave me his boots signed and all, I have them there in the glass case, yes he was fantastic, a world class goal scorer and the team have done very well to score all they have without him'.

As expected the training regime at his club is very tough, diet coms into his life in a big way, so I put it to this six foot thirteen stone former Killarney Athletic lad that his fitness levels must be very high at the moment.' Yes I am in fairly good shape, last year however I had a very serious injury, the pre- season training is savage, I found that difficult especially my first year there but it's vital for the season, then we train very intensely Tuesdays and Thursday morning with circuit training at lunch time. We have sports scientists for all aspects of our training, heart and lung monitors, everything down to the last second, and lots more and yes diet is vital. The dieticians play a huge part in the club, we are tested regularly for body fat, every thing I eat goes into a diary, down to the last cup of tea and the last spoon of sugar, the dietician examines it and she make sure we have a very balanced diet. I am lucky, no great problems with what I eat, it must be in the genes, I can eat like a horse, and when I come home I sometimes treat myself to a take away, my body fat is very good usually eight and a half percent, I must watch myself to night, I am off to a friends 18th birthday party in Tralee, Jamie Wren give him a mention'.
    Glasgow Celtic are synonymous with the name of their manager Martin o Neill, so what impressions has Diarmuid of the Northern Ireland man. ' A very quiet and unassuming person, the fans love him and no way will he be left go, he could manage any of the top European clubs, I don't meet him very much and if he passed me or even one of the first team players in the stadium he would keep his head down and pass on, I would say that he is a shy person, my family and I met him when I signed and he treated us very well, he certainly is the man for the Celtic job. While Celtic is generally recognised as a Catholic club many of the foreign players would be of other religions, Rangers is the opposite and if you were given the opportunity of signing for them you would have to give it very serious consideration indeed, I would have great friends who are staunch rangers fans'.
    It's said that behind every great man is a great woman and in Diarmuids case it's his parents that are behind him in his life's ambition to become a great soccer player, so how supportive are his parents Eileen and Joe and what side of the family did the sport come from, and like the great diplomat he his he gave the perfect answer to that one. 'They are behind me 100%, all my dads family were sportsmen, however my Mom's family were also involved and my uncle's had a bit of white line fever, ( I had never heard this expression before), they have been so supportive of me and if I came home in the morning to sell ice cream they would be fully behind me, as long as I am happy they are happy. Mom is the nervous and religious side and and Dad told me that when I played against Italy she was in the Friary praying for me, she is quiet about it but she really wants me to do well also, they are great for me'.

We also spoke about Diarmuids late grand father, a great friend of mine when I worked in St. Finian's Hospital, Jerry Carroll was maintenance manager for the Southern Health Board, sadly he died when Diarmuid was only five years of age.

This is only a few short extracts from my interview with this exemplary young Kerry sportsman, we went on to cover many more areas of his sporting life, his chances of a first team appearance, the eight months injury which threatened his career, the top class medical attention, meeting Sean Kelly in Celtic Park, his friend Liam Miller who has joined Manchester United and his prospects of greatness, would he himself join United, training with the stars, why he would like to play on Match Of The Day, the boredom of a footballers life, buying a new car, not in Scotland, what he thinks of Kerry football and especially Colm Cooper and much much more.

So now if you want to hear the heart warming story of this young man following his dream of football greatness with one of the worlds illustrious clubs tune in to Radio Kerry's Terrace Talk all sports programme on Monday February 21st for an hour long exclusive 8 -9 pm. mark it down, you won't be disappointed. Behind all the hype, publicity, glamour and media attention here is a young man who is a credit to his family, his club, his county and now his country, hear him tell his own story.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/extra/7018224.html

Diarmuid doubles up as the young Bhoys eye glory

MAKING UP FOR LOST TIME: O'Carroll missed out on the first leg of the double through injury

CELTIC hitkid Diarmuid O'Carroll has warned his young Hoops team-mates they must forget all about last week's Old Firm youth win if they are to claim a league and cup double.

The class of 2005 will graduate with honours if they can take a point or more against Dundee on Friday.

O'Carroll wants the young Bhoys to adopt tunnel vision. The Republic of Ireland

under-19 international said: "It does not matter what level you play at, when there is the chance of winning a Double, it is something we are up for.

"Our coach Willie McStay has asked us to focus on

winning the last seven games and the boys have managed to do that. We are taking Dundee seriously. They will be tough and it would be criminal to slip up there."

O'Carroll missed the first leg of the Double - he was on international duty as his mates lifted the Scottish Youth Cup with a 2-0 victory over St Mirren. "It was a big blow to miss the final. I had played in every round and scored a couple of goals in the later ties," he said.

"At youth level, with the game being at Hampden, it is as big as it gets. But it meant a lot to me to be involved in the Ireland youth international set-up and in any case, the boys did me proud by beating St Mirren."

Originally from Killarney, O'Carroll will have been two years at Celtic Park this July.

The powerful young poacher had his progress halted by injury problems at the start of the season.

But he reckons the support he has had from the Hoops coaching staff has helped him bounce back better than ever.

O'Carroll said: "I had a problem with my stomach. I was out for a good few months and at the start of the season I was off the pace a bit.

"But Willie McStay, Joe McBride, Kenny McDowall and Danny McGrain were

different class with me. I have played and trained with the reserves for quite a part of the season but, against the likes of Shaun Maloney and David Fernandez, it is tough to get a game."

The modest youngster is the first to admit he has plenty to learn. With another season still to come before he leaves the under-19 set up, there is no doubting O'Carroll's determination to make the grade with his bhoyhood heroes.

He said: "My game is all about holding the ball, making sure the guys can support me. I do need to improve my

timing arriving in the box and my strike rate, but these are all things I am working on.

"I was delighted to get the goal against Rangers, but that win is in the past and for us, all that matters is getting the win at Dundee."
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    With Goodwin leaving St Mirren to take over at Aberdeen, O'Carroll has been announced as assistant to new St Mirren boss Stephen Robinson: https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/43...as-new-manager

(incidentally, is this the biggest jump between posts in foot.ie history??)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Was expecting this to be about some up and coming young lad making his debut somewhere.

Fair to say this guy didn't live up to the expectations of the first few posts, given that I had completely forgotten who he was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Was expecting this to be about some up and coming young lad making his debut somewhere.
    Same. I got a shiver seeing who started the thread.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Oh, man. Eirebhoy always had such class.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    12 years gone last November.
    Hard to believe.
    Still sets the standard for intelligent, knowledgeable, well researched posts

14. Thanks From: