Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Henderson (M free agent b.1991)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Jack Wilshere seems pretty sure Conor's sticking with Ireland... Also says he's a quality player.

http://mobile.twitter.com/jack_wilshere/status/33196774411866112

Going on Henderson's twitter he seems to spend a serious amount of time with Rhys Murphy.

Regarding the question on recent Irish players to appear for Arsenal. Cregg had two or three games in the Carling Cup, Stack also had several games in that competition over a few seasons. Stokes had one appearance but only as a last minute sub.

Barrett made 2 substitute league appearances and looked on the cusp of a major breakthrough but (repeated) injury intervened and it's been downhill ever since unfortunately. I reckon he had the necessary quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    Going on Henderson's twitter he seems to spend a serious amount of time with Rhys Murphy.
    I think I read somewhere (possibly twitter) that they're housemates
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    In case youtube take it down, here's the relevant part of the interview
    Interviewer: You sound very English to me, but you've got an Irish name, and an Irish youth international. Just tell us the story there
    Henderson: Both sets of grandparents are Irish, and I've chosen to play for them, so that's, that's where the Irish comes from
    Interviewer: So it'll be Ireland all the way?
    Henderson: I think so, yeah
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/03/2011 at 11:56 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    That's a lot of english born irish players in the youth ranks of arsenal. Surely Brady's influence?

Ben Glasgow
    Born October 24, 1993
    Position Defender (Right Back)

Another Hale Ender, Ben had a taste of Under-18 football last season when he played in an away fixture against Coventry City.

The right-back loves to fly forward, using the great pace that has also seen him represent Essex in various sprint events.

Born in London, Ben’s family heritage has seen him represent the Republic of Ireland internationally and he has played for their Under-16s too.

Sean McDermott
    Born May 30, 1993
    Position Goalkeeper

Although Norwegian-born, this promising keeper has represented the Republic of Ireland at youth level. A strong, steady goalkeeper with good reflexes and a fine presence between the posts, he made 12 appearances for Arsenal Under-18s last season.

He signed his first professional contract with the Club in June 2010.

James Shea
    Born June 16, 1991
    Position Goalkeeper

After excelling in the triumphant FA Youth Cup and Premier Academy League ‘double' winning-side of 2009, James played six times for the Reserves last term, signing a new contract with Arsenal in February.

Known for his superb shot-stopping ability, James also improved immeasurably in his kicking and handling last term and continued his good form with consistent performances when selected for the Reserves.

He was also included in the squad for the Gunners' first Carling Cup fixture of last season against West Bromwich Albion in September 2009.

Rhys Murphy
    Born November 06, 1990
    Position Striker

A clinical striker, Rhys has consistently proved his calibre in front of goal and scored a clutch of vital strikes for the Under-18s during their FA Youth Cup and Premier Academy League ‘double' winning season in 2009.

A loan spell at Brentford last term was curtailed by injury but he did make eight appearances for Neil Banfield's Reserve team

Philip Roberts
    Born April 07, 1994
    Position Striker

A centre forward who was recruited from Norwich's academy, Philip is an Irish youth international.

Powerful, pacy and a genuine threat in front of goal, Philip will be hoping to build on the excellent progress he has made with the Canaries Academy over recent years.

Taken on trial by the Gunners at the end of last season, he impressed Liam Brady and his team and was asked to make the move from Norfolk to North London.

Callum Webb
    Born October 02, 1993
    Position Midfielder

Another Londoner who represents Republic of Ireland internationally due to family heritage, Callum has come through the Hale End ranks to earn his scholarship.

A midfielder who uses his excellent passing skills when playing a holding role, he also has great energy and can play wide midfield if required.

Callum featured on four occasions for the Under-18s last season and will hope to add significantly to that tally in 2010/11.

Conor Henderson
    Born September 08, 1991
    Position Midfielder

A technically astute, ball-playing midfielder, Conor Henderson was impressive last season. After making his first Reserve-team start in the opening game of the campaign, Conor went on to make seven appearances for Neil Banfield's side.
    He also continued to show his prowess in the Under-18s where his precision passing helped front men Benik Afobe and Luke Freeman achieve impressive goal tallies. In April 2010 he earned a place in the first-team squad for the trip to Wigan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Rhys Murphy
    Born November 06, 1990
    Position Striker

A clinical striker, Rhys has consistently proved his calibre in front of goal and scored a clutch of vital strikes for the Under-18s during their FA Youth Cup and Premier Academy League ‘double' winning season in 2009.

A loan spell at Brentford last term was curtailed by injury but he did make eight appearances for Neil Banfield's Reserve team
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/172685/
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Well...he certainly looks Irish.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Another resounding vote of confidence in Conor from Wenger today. Wenger really rates him:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...st-team-player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    With the injuries they have, will he be in the squad for the Sunderland game at the weekend?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    With the injuries they have, will he be in the squad for the Sunderland game at the weekend?
    No he is not in the squad. Ramsey back in it though.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Ma...~53072,00.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Don't think he will start against United 2moro evening. Wenger has "vowed" to go with the strongest side available.
    http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FAComp...reviews/Wenger

He should see some game time at some stage though fingers crossed. You'll find him at 25/1 for 1st goalscorer at Paddy Power, you never know. . . .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Arsenal have only one fit senior keeper now. Might mean Shea (most likely)or McDermott on the bench, though I think I read that Wenger is looking for an emergency replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Just a video I found on YouTube highlighting Henderson's (No.9) performance v Portugal U21 recently. Adam Barton is No.7.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    YOUNG Gunner Conor Henderson is fully committed to carving out an international senior career with the Republic of Ireland.

The highly rated London-born midfielder has already played for the Irish U18s and U19s and last month stepped up another level to make his debut for Noel King’s U21 side in a friendly defeat away to Portugal.

In theory, the Arsenal midfielder — who made his senior debut for the club in the FA Cup against Leyton Orient this season — could still switch allegiance to his native England but Henderson insists that there is no going back now on his commitment to the green shirt.

"I’ve made my decision and I’ve chosen to represent the Republic of Ireland at senior level," he says.

"I didn’t just one day decide, it was something I have thought about for a while. I wanted what was best for me and Ireland so this is what I decided.

"My mum’s side is from the south of Ireland and my dad’s side is from the north so that’s how I qualify. All my uncles and aunties live over there and they were all really happy about the decision. It was great to have their support and I’m sure they’ll be celebrating if and when I make my full debut.

"Obviously growing up in London I have followed both England and Ireland’s results but Ireland have always been who I have supported. I’ve always looked up to people like Robbie Keane, who is so technically gifted, and then there’s Aiden McGeady, who is good on the ball too. There’s Darron Gibson now doing well at Manchester United as well.

"But if there’s one player who I want to emulate it’s Liam Brady. He had such a great left foot and was such a wonderful player who is one of Ireland’s best ever. Working under him at Arsenal has been a privilege for me. He spoke to me about playing for Ireland when I represented them at youth level but he left me to my own decision at senior level.

"Possibly the Ireland team is ready for a new generation of young players to try and establish themselves in the senior set up. I’m hoping to make that step up quite soon but I just have to keep playing well for my club and hopefully that will get me there.

"I haven’t had any contact with people from the seniors yet, just the management, staff and players with the U21s."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...op-150650.html

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    great to read such strong words of commitment to the cause from an English born Irishman. Maith an fear.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Thats the job. Not surprising that Liam Brady is his icon considering the club he is at. An exciting prospect. Potentially an Irish player in the Arsenal senior XI. Now thats an achievement in itself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    "I haven't had any contact from the people from the seniors yet".

There must be a good "Arsenal starlet set to defect to England or Northern Ireland" story in there somewhere. I must email RTE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    On the bench for Arsenal today VS Villa

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Doesn't look too good (ignore the Wilshere bit):

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Any indication how serious it is otherwise? Looked in quite a bit of pain. What a curse.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast