Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: League of Ireland Fans Unite against Racism

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    A knife wielding scumbag with a history of racially motivated attacks killed a 15 year old kid. What part of that reporting is shambolic?
    My line of thought was the exact same as yours based on what the media reported until a few days ago when I was told about matching circumstances of the incident from different sources, circumstances that completely tie in with why its a manslaughter charge for Barry.

The media have irresponsibily whipped up hysteria and tensions through '2 + 2 = 5' reporting, through misinformation and a failure to report on a wide range of critical circumstances that led to and resulted in the stabbing. The result of the media's reporting upon the wider public is seen in this thread - that's not a dig at anyone posting here because until a few days ago I myself was deeply upset and angry at what I believed was a vile racial murder of an innocent kid.

The manslaughter charge is the best indication of what I'm talking about without leaving this site open to legal difficulties.
    Last edited by total hoofball; 11/04/2010 at 1:59 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    The full facts have not been in the media I suppose so they won't prejudice the case however I know some of Toyosi's friends who do know all the facts and this was a racially motivated attack.

Just to report on the march itself, around two thousand turned out. Our LOI contingent had about fifteen to twenty mainly Bohs and Pats fans but I also saw a Galway jersey in the SWP contingent, there was an Athlone fan and I saw a couple of Shels fans but they weren't with our group. We had a banner with Love football hate racism and also the NBB banner as two of Toyosi's friends are in the NBB.
    Last edited by BohsPartisan; 11/04/2010 at 4:14 PM.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    I've no problems with this thread remaining open, but on both sides, please stick to facts, and not hearsay. I think osarusan's post -

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Is it so far off-topic though? With the OP hoping that league fans will unite in protest at this racist attack, it's pretty relevant for posters to ask and debate if the attack really was racially motivated, isn't it?
    - is valid, and I think some of the queries some posters have raised are justified. However, "I heard" is not a valid evidence of an opinion. Also, if you want to argue against a point, attack the post, not the poster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I closed the thread while I was tidying it up. I'm reopening it now but the idle speculation has to stop. Either post verified, reported facts with attribution, or keep your gob shut.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I've no problems with this thread remaining open, but on both sides, please stick to facts, and not hearsay. I think osarusan's post -

- is valid, and I think some of the queries some posters have raised are justified. However, "I heard" is not a valid evidence of an opinion. Also, if you want to argue against a point, attack the post, not the poster.
    I agree and its why i had an issue with the opening post saying it was a racist murder when it hasnt been proved in court yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://www.theredcard.ie/camp/

There is a very worthwhile initiative been run by Show Racism the Red Card, an intercultural summer camp for kids in July for 11-16 year olds. The site is a work in progress but you get a good idea of what its about.
    Think its really important to support groups like SRTRC and specifically imo their work with younger people in addressing racsim in Irish society. I was up in UCD for the SRTRC Art competition prizegiving a few weeks ago and it was really heartening to see so many young people from Youth Groups and Schools all over the country promoting the anti-racist message through their art, song, essays and music.
    We can argue about what did and didnt happen in this horrific murder but think its important that people challenge racism (like the demo on saturday) and support groups like SRTRC etc in their activities. You only have to read Eamon Zayeds article to see that there are still idiots out there to feel this is acceptable behaviour.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I've deleted the last post in this thread, and the user responsible can consider themselves lucky they weren't infracted for thread spoiling.

It's absolutely ridiculous that I have to point this out, time and again: we have a post reporting facility. On every single post. If you have a problem with a post, use it. Don't post in the damned thread and spoil it for everyone else.

One more off-topic post and I'm chucking this.

10. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123