Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quinn Insurance protests

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts

Quinn Insurance protests

Call me an old tinfoil-hatted conspiracy theorist if you like, but these Quinn protests seem incredibly well organised, the spokespersons seem incredibly well informed on the details, and they also seem incredibly media-savvy in how they deflect and ignore criticism from interviewers. Am I being cynical or is there more to it than meets the eye? Who's organising these people?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I don't know dahamsta, the ones who are out front do seem very clued in, however that could be in their training. If you think it's a method for the group to stave off implosion and sanctions, you may be right. The same as the government pushed panic at the passport office and the absolute joke that was Frontline. When you are being told "Think of the children", then there's something up. Something does smell with Quinn, they've been around too long to let anything bad happen.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I agree with your sentiment Dahmasta and this type of thing is exactly why we are where we are.

EG, Quinn emailing ministers & seeking incamera meetings with Mr Elderfielfd rather than looking at the correct channels such as Orachtas hearings etc. Unfortunatly Mr Honohan and the aforementioned have been deployed to mind the horse who lies lame in the next field.

Am I correct, Quinn is worth 2 Billon yet they have guarnteed the borrowings of 4billon against their Group?I'm sorry to all and sundry in Cavan and beyond but what has happened had to happen in the interests of the policy holders (who are taxpayers already getting it up the A4$E)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Fr Damo, this is the same Quinn who, along with Seanie the boy and 2 other notable Irish invested in an empty hole in Russia, 2 if you count the one in Moscow. But they paid 100m for a share of a bankrupt and worthless piece of property in an out of the way location in Russia - Ufa. Seanie loaned them the money, and bought into it himself, along with a couple of other headers. They were advised by an Irishman working in a leading Russian bank and I'll be careful what I say next, so instead put up this "proud" link. Anyone visiting Moscow should visit the location of Caspiy, and see who owns it now, and ask how much they bought it for. Our tax money is going on covering this stupidity! Yet it never appeared in the Irish media.

http://www.knightfrank.ru/summary/invest/2007-09/eng/

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busine...es/192829.html

swamped by the high volume of potential real estate projects nationwide, a representative for one major European investor said. "We are probably going to have around 20 to 30 projects come across the table every week to look at," said Peter Quinn, regional manager for Eastern Europe at Irish firm Quinn Group. The firm is part of a new wave of investors coming from outside the pool of countries that have traditionally worked here. And the influx of aggressive parvenu capital is certainly...
    C&W S&R The 20-story, Class A Kutuzoff Tower on Ulitsa Ivana Franko in Moscow was commissioned in September and is already over half let. Irish developer Quinn Group invested $140 million in the project, which has 31,480 square meters of GLA.
    None of the projects have been completed up to January 4th. Work on all has stopped and sites sold off at whopping losses.
    Last edited by Spudulika; 08/04/2010 at 6:45 PM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    These protests are a joke. "me, me me"
    Where is the march for the unemployed!
    but good old Quinny he likes to play poker for match sticks - great fella so...................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Entrepreneur builds company up from scratch, employs thousands, takes on "old establishment" incumbents, shakes the market up, media darling, but overextends, plays fast and loose with corporate governance and the concept of prudence, doesn't understand the difference between their and the company's interests and ignores solvency and other regulatory requirements......

Seanie and Fingers should be hung, drawn and quartered but Quinn is a hero who made a genuine mistake? Puurrrllllleeeeaaaase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    This is actually one major factor that caused me to the post this. The Irish aren't the best for getting up off their holes and protesting about things; the complacency with which NAMA has been treated by Republicans being a prime example. The only people that actually march to Leinster House are the teachers, the farmers and the elderly, and it's only the elderly that have had the energy to do it lately. That's why these protests are absolutely bizarre: they're well organised, they're regular, and they're media savvy. It's almost as if they've been... encouraged or... assisted by a large corporation or marketing agency in some way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Just in case anyone believes raiding the Quinn Insurance piggy bank was a one-off, here's a reminder of some other Quinn headlines

http://www.independent.ie/business/e...e-1716693.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking52.html

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Whatever about who's organising the protests, the workers are marching so they don't become unemployed, which is fair enough to me. Unfortunately, their anger is totally misplaced. I suppose it is a hard concept to grasp, an Irish Regulator trying to Regulate. Having said that, the timing to coincide with the banking bailout stinks.

btw, were Quinn one of the rival insurance companies that has been moaning and legally challenging the VHI/ The Government about VHI getting exemptions on the solvency ratio's?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I missed all this about Anglo taking shares in Quinn (Thursday night is Soprano's night - while I'm watching that the Gangsters that run this country are screwing me over), and the Quinn family still keeping a stack. WTF. Obviously no supporter of FF will be allowed to go under in this recession, even if it costs the state billions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Whatever about who's organising the protests, the workers are marching so they don't become unemployed, which is fair enough to me.
    At what cost? i.e March to keep me job but screw creditors and policy holders with crappy negotiated downwards payouts?
    If Elderfield through the Administrator have to wield a knife to ensure the survival of the group, that must be done. I see Anglo to take a stake now. emmm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I've no problem with the employees protesting, given what they've seen happen in the Bank's they are only arguing for the same precedent.

Re your FF point Macy, is there any evidence Quinn is a FF supporter? Whilst I don't know him, I do know people who do, and the view would be that he wouldn't be close to anyone and very much looks after his own interests.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Just in case anyone believes raiding the Quinn Insurance piggy bank was a one-off, here's a reminder of some other Quinn headlines

http://www.independent.ie/business/e...e-1716693.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking52.html
    Quinn diverted funds out of Ireland to try his hand in Eastern Europe. I'm not sure if I have it 100%, but it was Peter who was pushing this and was photo op'ed in a few spots in Moscow 3 years ago. It could be the 2nd generation of wealth acting the maggot and spending what was never theirs, or maybe just poor decision making. For sure they were guided by sharks cloaked in green.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Re your FF point Macy, is there any evidence Quinn is a FF supporter? Whilst I don't know him, I do know people who do, and the view would be that he wouldn't be close to anyone and very much looks after his own interests.
    Easy find in google... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n12840678/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Fair enough, let the conspiracy theories roll on!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I've no problem with the employees protesting, given what they've seen happen in the Bank's they are only arguing for the same precedent.

really, have you not lived in ireland for a while????

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its just Anglo that makes everyone uneasy. Any other bank and you might say give it a chance. Don't blame the employees for lobbying though. We can't afford to loose any more jobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    really, have you not lived in ireland for a while????
    Quinn is a semi-recluse, and as I said would pledge allegience to whoever offered the best deal for him. He's a different kettle of fish to the Galway tent brigade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    I was surprised people actually believed Quinn was a supporter of a single party. People like Quinn donate to all the parties. It's not about supporting a political philosophy, it's about laying the groundwork for later,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quinn is a semi-recluse, and as I said would pledge allegience to whoever offered the best deal for him. He's a different kettle of fish to the Galway tent brigade.
    Yeah thats obvious, butFF have had power now for yonks and its nice that he was able to get on the phone immediately to his FF buddies so that they could sort it all out for him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast