Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25 years in the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    We only joined the league in 85, hence the 25 years celebration.........
    Magicme I know you probably have enough info for your celebrations, but as I started out my career in 1985 with Bray, I have in my possession a scarf from sunday 8th Sept FAI LC Derry v Home farm and on the scarf are the following names.....M.Cassidy,E.Seydak,P.McGuinness,T.O'Dohe rty,T.Kelly,L.McDermott,L.Bonner,K,O'Neill,B.McCre adie,G.Jones,D.Tueart,T.McBride,P.Mullan, hard to believe that scarf is 25yrs old.....how time flies..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Wow, nice one Captain! Its always great getting stories and info. If anyone from any club or supporting any club that was in the league 25 years ago wishes to give me a few lines on their memories, please do! Email me at cpo@monaghanunited.ie coz we can put together a 25 year blog for our site.

Get writing folks!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    ,Aware clubs formation in 1979 was as a result of amalgamation of two clubs if correct Hibs & Town. Would be interested to learn if known anything about these clubs also Mon United in the period from formation in 79 to election to league in 85.
    Came across an interesting snippet when googling Clones Town, in that newspaper reports come up about them recently celebrating their 125th anniversary of first being registered with the original IFA back in 1885 though a club had been in the town since 1883. Article gives the briefest outline of their history, and the bit that caught my eye was that back in the 60's when FAI formed the B Division consisting of reserve side and leading non-league teams of the day they apparently approached Clones with an invite, bbut this was declined due to lack of facillities. This could raise the question could Clones not Monaghan have been the Fai's intended venue for borderland's area representation in the league ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    More than likely historynut that Clones was indeed their target as up until the 70's really Clones was the main town in the County as such. It is still the headquarters for the County Library and I think it may have had the County Council hq there for many years too. It was a thriving town back in the day and would have been seen as the pinnacle of the county. I have very little info on the old stuff about the club but will try and dig out some for you you. Our programme editor is great at this kinda work and he works for the Northern Standard newspaper so can prob access some stuff in their archive. Will see what can do but it may be after May as we have a busy few weeks ahead. We play Derry on the 7th May, Bohs on the 11th and Shels on the 14th all at home!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Much appreciated.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    A bit OT, but one cannot help but remark on Clones's sporting excellence. A small town has produced a world champion (Barry McGuigan), a GAA football allstar (Ciarán Murray - laterly physio for the Ireland football team), a full Ireland international (Jonathan Douglas) and 2 Olympians (McGuigan and Kevin McBride). Not to mention end Mons' legend Paul Sheils.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You could talk about the profits McClerys shop made on the day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    fair play mons for 25 years. Well done to everyone involved with the club
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I was at that 1st game and I also paid to get in and decided to come back outside and watch the game from beside the Derry road.

I did have a few drinks but I'm sure we lost the game 2-0.We played you's later in the league and we won 2-0 with Devlin scoring both goals.

That game we lost was 15th Sept and was a LC group game.

Looking forward to the game and apint in the club house.It's been a few years since I was there.

A few guys have asked have you's still got the "hot bar maids"?
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Double post.
    Last edited by Candystripe; 07/05/2010 at 3:52 AM.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Afraid not Candystripe, there are barmen now. Should be some cute girls working in the shop tho! Make sure you come say hi to me (and that goes for any of the Derry lads on here) as I like to meet fellow foot.iers. I will be wearing a stupid yellow first aid jacket. Dammit. Just dont come to me if your hurt or injured coz I will probably make you worse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I will do, like yourself it's always nice to put a face to people you've known on forums for years.

13. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12