Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 years in the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

25 years in the league

Hi all, I am currently working on various things to mark the fact that both Monaghan United FC and Derry City have been in the league of Ireland for 25 years this year and hope to put some pieces together for a commemorative programme when we meet on the 7th May.

I am looking for anybody who wishes to contribute to a piece on fans memories of the first time these 2 teams met and any info that you may have on the squad from 1985 or any other details you wish to share.

If you wish to contribute please contact me at cpo@monaghanunited.ie

Thanks

Julie-Ann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Bray are 25 years in the League this year as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Nice one. Pity your not in the First Division then coz you could join in our celebrations!! Are you doing anything for it? Maybe there should be some kinda event to celebrate 25 years of there being a "2nd division" in the country?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Congratulations, UCD aren't too far in front of you.

Did Monaghan Utd. produce a programme for the home game(s) against Derry City?
    Because if you did for Derry games but not for most (all) other teams. Then some City fans may have felt, at the time, they were being targeted for money.

Did Monaghan accept either Punts or Sterling currency at the turnstile?......... that was another one.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Derry are not even in the league a year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    Congratulations, UCD aren't too far in front of you.

Did Monaghan Utd. produce a programme for the home game(s) against Derry City?
    Because if you did for Derry games but not for most (all) other teams. Then some City fans may have felt, at the time, they were being targeted for money.

Did Monaghan accept either Punts or Sterling currency at the turnstile?......... that was another one.
    I dont know the full answer to either of your questions!!! Help! I think there was a programme coz one of the lads has emailed me saying he has some old programmes from that time.

As for the currency question, being the border badlands we probably accepted both!

Thanks for the congrats Harpo.

@Bluewhitearmy - Ha! Sure on that basis Limerick are only a couple of seasons old too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Thanks for the reply and appreciation.

The reason I mentioned the Programmes and currency issues, I believe Longford Twn produced two Programmes for the entire season in 1986-87 one League and one League Cup both against Derry City. Derry City fans felt they weren't getting value but were obliged to buy the programme for themselves and the fans back in Derry.

In Dublin some turnstile operators were charging a poor exchange rate ( maybe upto 1:1) when presented with a Sterling note.

Although Derry City fans inisisting that they saved the First Division Twice! didn't leave them much sympathy at some clubs.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    Thanks for the reply and appreciation.

The reason I mentioned the Programmes and currency issues, I believe Longford Twn produced two Programmes for the entire season in 1986-87 one League and one League Cup both against Derry City. Derry City fans felt they weren't getting value but were obliged to buy the programme for themselves and the fans back in Derry.

In Dublin some turnstile operators were charging a poor exchange rate ( maybe upto 1:1) when presented with a Sterling note.

Although Derry City fans inisisting that they saved the First Division Twice! didn't leave them much sympathy at some clubs.
    Monaghan definitely produced programmes for games other than Derry city and for Derry city in 85/6.

All clubs took sterling however the exchange rate was something like sterling worth 20% more than the Irish punt. Some clubs took it on a 1 for 1 basis.

Derry brought huge crowds and excitement to the league that season. I was at their games in Newcastllewest, Cork & Cobh in the first season and visiting fans greatly outnumbered the home fans even
    for an end of season game in Cobh.

I can't recall if Longford issued for other games in 85/6 but there has pretty much always been a programme for the Limerick games in Abbeycarton and Flancare. Nobody is ever forced to buy a programme and
    it wouldn't be unusual for a club to produce a special effort when they expect a bigger crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Apparently our record attendance was 2000 against Derry in Belgium Park.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Shame there is'nt a book on history of football in Monaghan, as it goes back to the very early days of football in Ireland. A Monaghan team compeed in some of the very early IFA Cups of the 1880's.
    Not wishing to be offensive but believe Belgium Park is on left as you leave Monaghan on Derry Road near Lidl(?). From viewing it once , gather when admitted to league there was no stadium criteria. As recall in a dip, grass banking, a changing room block, and if 2000 in ground probably half of that again watching from above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I cant remember where I found this but it was the squads from a game between the 2 in the 1985/86 season.

Derry City
    M. Cassidy
    T. O'Doherty
    T. Kelly
    P. McGuinness
    L. McDermott
    L. Bonner
    K. O'Neill
    B. McCready
    G. Jones
    E. Seydak
    D. Tueart
    T. McBride
    P. McMullan

Monaghan United
    T. Tasker
    C. McConville
    K. Reynolds
    R. Mulligan
    M. Coburn
    W. Crawley
    B. Savage
    G. Turley
    F. Treacy
    P. Gilliland
    P. Forde
    B. McCaffrey
    F. McPhillips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by historynut View Post
    Shame there is'nt a book on history of football in Monaghan, as it goes back to the very early days of football in Ireland. A Monaghan team compeed in some of the very early IFA Cups of the 1880's.
    Not wishing to be offensive but believe Belgium Park is on left as you leave Monaghan on Derry Road near Lidl(?). From viewing it once , gather when admitted to league there was no stadium criteria. As recall in a dip, grass banking, a changing room block, and if 2000 in ground probably half of that again watching from above.
    You are correct historynut, we have recently uncovered a photography from the early 1920's I think of a team called "Monaghan United". It would be great to do research on all this and a book or some sort of document would be lovely to have.

Yes Belgium Park is behind Lidl on the road heading for Derry and it is still used by Junior clubs (and on occasion Monaghan United Juveniles) on a regular basis. Have heard anecdotes that when we played Derry that day, their fans paid in and since wasnt enough room in the ground to get a good view, went back out and watched the game from outside the ground! Our 2 clubs history in the league is well tangled so it will be nice to celebrate the anniversary together.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I cant remember where I found this but it was the squads from a game between the 2 in the 1985/86 season.

Derry City
    M. Cassidy
    T. O'Doherty
    T. Kelly
    P. McGuinness
    L. McDermott
    L. Bonner
    K. O'Neill
    B. McCready
    G. Jones
    E. Seydak
    D. Tueart
    T. McBride
    P. McMullan

Monaghan United
    T. Tasker
    C. McConville
    K. Reynolds
    R. Mulligan
    M. Coburn
    W. Crawley
    B. Savage
    G. Turley
    F. Treacy
    P. Gilliland
    P. Forde
    B. McCaffrey
    F. McPhillips
    Thank you for that, got emailed those very names this morning by our programme editor! So you are bang on the money there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Just done a bit of surfing and uncovered a wee snippet that may be of interest to you.
    Check out the Dundalk site and go to legends and John Murphy who was apparently manager at time of match. Scroll down interview and mentions game v Derry and wages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Thanks for that!! I thought Sean McCaffrey was our manager at the time of that game but maybe he was earlier or later in the season. He was the youngest LOI manager at only 25 yrs old apparently!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Thanks for that!! I thought Sean McCaffrey was our manager at the time of that game but maybe he was earlier or later in the season. He was the youngest LOI manager at only 25 yrs old apparently!
    I am pretty sure Sean McCaffery was manager in yer first ever season in the loi in 1979/80..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Here were the teams for that first League meeting in Belgium Park - and it was Derry's first League victory in the LOI.

1st December 1985 (2.30pm KO)

MONAGHAN UNITED 0 - 2 DERRY CITY (Frank Devlin (2))

Monaghan Utd: Tommy Tasker, Colm McConville, Declan McAleer, Michael Coburn, Kevin Conlon, Bernie Savage, Michael Conlon, Greg Turley, Paul Gilliland, Willie Crawley , Sean Finnegan.
    Subs: Frank Treacy, Paul Forde (replaced Finnegan)
    Manager: John Murphy
    Derry City: Eamonn Quigley, Paul McLaughlin, Shaun Boyle, Nelson DaSilva, Declan McDowell, Noel King, Liam McDermott, Owen DaGama, Frank Devlin, Stuart Gauld, Kevin Mahon.
    Subs: Paul Whelan, Kevin McKeever
    Manager: Noel King

I was at that game, and I have a copy of the programme here and it's a fairly amateur effort, even for the time. 2 x A4 sheets folded in half (not stapled), to create a 8 page programme.
    Last edited by dcfc_1928; 11/04/2010 at 6:18 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfc_1928 View Post
    I was at that game, and I have a copy of the programme here and it's a fairly amateur effort, even for the time. 2 x A4 sheets folded in half (not stapled), to create a 8 page programme.
    Don't knock it, you used to get pretty much the same in Kilkenny, and that's in recent years!
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I am pretty sure Sean McCaffery was manager in yer first ever season in the loi in 1979/80..

We only joined the league in 85, hence the 25 years celebration.........

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    We only joined the league in 85, hence the 25 years celebration.........
    ah sorry I have this phrased wrong.. I know Monaghan Utd was founded in 1979 from lookin at yer crest was McCaffery yer first ever manager?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    ah sorry I have this phrased wrong.. I know Monaghan Utd was founded in 1979 from lookin at yer crest was McCaffery yer first ever manager?
    No he was our 2nd manager in the LOI apparently after John Murphy. We were formed in 1979 alright but not in the league til 85.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast