Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Ireland's Greatest"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts

"Ireland's Greatest"

RTE has commissioned a series along the lines of the BBC's "Great Britons", to find out who, we the public think, is the greatest Irish person ever. They got Ipsos MRBI to conduct a survey of the Irish public asking them this same question. Below are the top forty names from that survey in alphabetical order.

The Top 5, as nominated by voters, will then become the subject of one of five brand new hour-long documentaries, each charting the individual's impact and contribution to Irish life, as interpreted and championed by a well-known personality. This series of documentaries will be broadcast this September on RTÉ One. Once these documentaries have aired, the public will again be given the opportunity to reassess which person actually deserves the accolade of Ireland's Greatest.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/irelandsgreatest/

Bono
    Dr. Noel Browne
    Michael Collins
    James Connolly
    Éamon De Valera
    Joe Dolan (sweet Jesus!)
    Ronnie Drew
    Colin Farrell (head in hands)
    Garret Fitzgerald
    Stephen Gately (This is getting embarrasing!)
    Bob Geldof
    Padraig Harrington
    Charles Haughey
    Séamus Heaney
    John Hume
    James Joyce
    John B Keane
    Roy Keane
    Ronan Keating (Fcuk me!)
    Séan Lemass
    Jack Lynch
    Phil Lynott
    Paul McGrath
    Christy Moore
    Liam Neeson (nahh!)
    Daniel O'Connell
    Daniel O'Donnell
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Michael O'Leary (he'll probably get passengers to vote for him at the check-in desk!)
    John O'Shea
    Sonia O'Sullivan
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Pádraig Pearse
    Christy Ring
    Mary Robinson
    Adi Roche (head in feet)
    Wolfe Tone
    Louis Walsh
    Oscar Wilde
    WB Yeats

------------------

Christ almighty - that list makes embarrassing reading. Democracy is over-rated!

Off the top of my head, here's some of the figures that I think, should have been on it;

Robert Emmett,
    George Best,
    Van Morrison,
    Brendan Beha,n
    Robert Boyle,
    Ernest Walton,
    Jonathan Swift,
    Sean O'Casey,
    Samuel Beckett,
    Edmund Burke,
    William Rowan Hamilton,
    St. Patrick,
    St. Columba,
    Oliver Plunkett,
    St. Brigid,
    Arthur Guinness.
    and finally,................the original "defector" - Darron Gibson.

I think the poll closes soon, so.........GET VOTING!
    Last edited by The Fly; 02/04/2010 at 12:49 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Good list of "missing people" there, The Fly. Emmett and Boyle would have been in my 5 and Walton was close. The big names I would add on a short think would be Rory Gallagher, Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche. There would be arguments for Ronnie Delaney and Eamon Coughlan too but not as strong, similar for Bram Stoker, wrote the worlds most read fiction book, and was continually using his influence and connections to lobby for assistance for Ireland. Commodore John Barry as founder of the US navy would probably get more acclaim from abroad than ever in Ireland.

It is amazing that none of the saints were included - mine not being a religious standpoint some of them as real people made a significant impact on the world. Columcille / Columba pulling strings through Europe, and St. Brendan's voyage allegedly part of the inspiration to Columbus. I am sure that I will kick myself when I see some of the names I missed

The more I look at that RTÉ list from the general public, the more surprised that Uncle Gay or Gerry Ryan are not on it. Tintin Keating and Gately, FFS. At least Mikey was in Fatal Deviation. There is certainly more of a reason to included he detestable Tony O'Reilly than Mick O'Leary too. It does sap faith in the Irish public when you see some of those names listed.

Mine from the list would be (in alphabetical order):
    Noel Brown
    James Connolly
    Bob Geldof*
    James Joyce
    John B Keane (as a social and cultural historian as much as a writer documenting an Ireland antithetical to Joyce's now almost vanished)*

*Before I saw the list I had already added Boyle and Emmett, and needed to find replacements, Walton was the 6th man.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Missing out on Monaghan altogether there, where are Barry McGuigan, Pat McCabe, Patrick Kavanagh?

McGuigan not only brought the excitement of winning a world title but also went on to be one of the best loved boxing commentators and tv personalities and is as worthy of a place there as any other man or woman.

McCabe is not only one of the most exquiste modern writers but also has had his books made into amazing movies.

And Kavanagh is one of the literary giants of this country and one of Irelands best loved characters. His eloquence when speaking on the mundane no doubt inspired the likes of Heaney.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The absence of TK Whitaker is a tad insane as well. While our economy is now an utter mess he's essentially the reason we once had an economy.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Daniel O Donnell, Gately and Keating in ahead of Rory Gallagher? Sweet Jesus.

Roche and Kelly have to be in there from the sports side as well.

Charles Haughey? What the f**k? That's even more depressing than the Boyzone ones!

Incidentally- totally disagree about Patrick Kavanagh, always thought his stuff was a load of irritating, boring ********.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Dave Allen
    Harry Ferguson
    Richard Harris

Even Tim O'Reilly should be ahead of a good few of those actually listed

I think we should have a list for the most sanctimonious Irish person *click*

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Incidentally- totally disagree about Patrick Kavanagh, always thought his stuff was a load of irritating, boring ********.
    Heathen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    No B*witched?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    what about michelle smith, 3 olympic gold medals dont carry as much weight as they used to,

also surprised michael flatley isnt mentioned,

how do you determine this, ireland has given so much to the world, its almost shamefull to have a top 5, youd need a top 100 to do what the irish people have given the world any justice,
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Since the other half went to see Ronan Keating last night and reckons he's wonderful I'll have to say he's a global brand a has morphed from boyband star to genuine international star - he's even big in Mexico. Gately though, hmm, no, too easy.

St. Brigid is a mythical character who never actually existed (she's a composite of a pagan goddess and christian convert) though according to the annals performed abortions and magic tricks, so have to knock her on the head, and St. Patrick was Romano-British so a bit of a Flatley-Day-Lewis there.

Agree with Magicme on Wee Barry, not only did he do more for cross-border and sectarian healing that any of the clowns who took the glory for it, he beat one of the all-time greats, beat the very best in his weight class and during a dreadful time in Ireland gave us reason to be proud and hope.

I would add Lewis Carroll except he was born in GB, but surely the list had to include Irish who made their mark abroad - William Brown (Argentina), William Lamport (Mexico), Saint Gall (Switzerland) and Darcy McGee (Canada). Any of these type of "votes" are as bad as seeing jedward last to the end of a talent competition. I gave my vote to Oscar Wilde, especially since his father should be on the list as well, if for no other reason than he was a genius and philanderer.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington. A great military commander.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington. A great military commander.
    Look over his history Osarusan, he was a good commander, not a great commander. I liked him in Blackadder but still wouldn't vote for him, even if his nieces were tasty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Where's yer wan who rolled a seven after snorting some dodgy gear a while back? She did have our then Taoiseachs Aide de Camp at her service after all. Though ...she was a constituent.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Here's the top ten. There's a few dodgy ones but Stephen Gately really takes the biscuit. Is there really anyone out there that reckons he's the greatest Irish person ever? I'm hoping this is just a lot of people being ironic, I really am.

The Ten Greatest

(in alphabetical order)

1 Bono (1960 – )

2 Noel Browne (1915 – 1997)

3 Michael Collins (1890 – 1922)

4 James Connolly (1868 – 1916)

5 Stephen Gately (1976 – 2009)

6 John Hume (1937 – )

7 Phil Lynott (1951 - 1986)

8 Pádraig Pearse (1879 – 1916)

9 Mary Robinson (1944 – )

10 Adi Roche (1955 – )
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Of that lot, I'd probably go for John Hume, one of the founders of the Civil Rights Movement and despite the bloodshed and murder going on around him, never lost his dignity or belief in peaceful means.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    These things are always silly so why not have Gately in there. Once the public are involved all sense goes out the window.

My list of greatest Irishpeople (who haven't been involved with Pats...) would probably include Dave Allen, Sean Kelly, James Connolly, WB Yeats and Robert Emmet

My list of Irish people I'd love to punch in the face includes bono
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    what about michelle smith, 3 olympic gold medals dont carry as much weight as they used to,

also surprised michael flatley isnt mentioned,

how do you determine this, ireland has given so much to the world, its almost shamefull to have a top 5, youd need a top 100 to do what the irish people have given the world any justice,

That any the child abuse we liked to export
    Calm down, we are not that well loved abroad, as much as we like to think we are..............

G Best should be on the list anyway
    Would give it to Connolly, or larkin (is he on the list)
    But seriously...........................Louis Walsh and Joe Dolan...............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    That any the child abuse we liked to export
    Calm down, we are not that well loved abroad, as much as we like to think we are..............

G Best should be on the list anyway
    Would give it to Connolly, or larkin (is he on the list)
    But seriously...........................Louis Walsh and Joe Dolan...............
    this isnt for the world, this is for us, and i dont recall naming the church,
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Chippy Devlin should be near the top.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Here's the top ten. There's a few dodgy ones but Stephen Gately really takes the biscuit. Is there really anyone out there that reckons he's the greatest Irish person ever? I'm hoping this is just a lot of people being ironic, I really am.
    Isn't Connolly Scottish? Or is this one of those things like the two Glasgow teams are supposedly representative of the two main cultures on this island?

Adi Roche I'm back, Mary Robinson too (especially for her pre-Presidential efforts to both modernise our laws and save our history), John Hume is a good pick, so too Noel Browne, and Bono is recognisable the world over. But Pearse? Lynott and Gately? Michael Collins is a stretch and a great case of hindsight improving the view. Where are the writers and actors? Surely Wilde, Joyce and Neeson deserved to get in the final 10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast