Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Buying a car from the north.....

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Buying a car from the north.....

Anyone have any expeirence of doing it. I'm giving it serious consideration as the car prices down here are shocking....

Any help would be greatlt apprieciated...
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    You might want to be more specific about the info you're looking for shannonman. First step is to calculate the VRT on anything you're looking at anyway. Because of the recession, the value figures can be way out on some cars, so it could cost more than you think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Well im loking for a Golf TDi as my girlfriend lives in dublin and im doing a lot of driving maybe 05/06

But mainly im just looking for people who may want to share expierence's maybe recommend a dealer....

Im pretty green when it comes to car buying but I just think prices down here are shocking for what are basic models and you pay so much more for "extras" that tend to be standard in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    (I haven't bought from the North, this is just my opinion.)

Sticking with recommended dealers might not be such a good idea in such a (relatively) small area, particularly when you're looking for something specific. I'd search for what you're looking for on Autotrader.ie - lock it down to the 6 counties - and bookmark the search, then check it daily. When you find something you like, google the dealer and call them to ask for details; also ask if they've sold cars to the Republic before, and if they can help you through the process. Golf TDi's are ten a penny, so save up a few possibles and view them all in one trip if you can. Make a holiday of it!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Ya was thinking of making a day or weekend(soccer match permitting) of it and going around a few places.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonman View Post
    Anyone have any expeirence of doing it. I'm giving it serious consideration as the car prices down here are shocking....

Any help would be greatlt apprieciated...
    I live in Northern Ireland, and frankly, I'm not surprised that you're considering it - prices in the Republic are indeed shocking.

Although, if you are a serious buyer, I would urge you to do your research on the car you want - know it inside out, and then look at cars from Britain. There you will have far wider selection and better prices than in Northern Ireland. In the past year I have purchased two cars from England, without having gone over to view them.

The only significant bonus to buying a car from Northern Ireland, with the exception (in your case) of geography, as opposed to Britain, is that cars from NI have their MOT's carried out by the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA), a state body, whereas, in Britain they are carried out at normal independent garages.

Take a look at Parker's guide to used cars - http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/
    It's a great resource, simply select a maunfacturer, then select your model, then read the review of the car. It will give you a comprehensive guide to your chosen car. Whilst reading the review, you will notice the headings at the top of the page - Summary, Driving & Performance, Comfort, Safety & Reliability etc... Go to the Facts & Figures one. It will give you each model within the range. Click on the More Equipment and More Figures links provided, and you will get a full run-down of the car's specifications.

If you have any more questions..........fire away!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    You sir are a legend!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Honest John has good buyers guides too. The only thing I'd be wary of, with any of these, is that the accuracy can date on them. BMW guides, for examples, warn about Nikasil problems with engines in the early nineties, when at this stage the information is redundant.