Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about fomer LOI clubs

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Questions about fomer LOI clubs

What memories do you have of Home Farm, St Francis, St James' Gate, Newcastlewest, Thurles Town etc

What type of crowds did these teams get ?

Drumcondra are probably the biggest team to have left the LOI - how did the size of their support compare to Rovers, Bohs, Shelbourne and Pats ?

Going further back in time, anyone know anything about all those former LOI teams from Dublin - Jacobs, Dolphin, Brideville, Brooklyn, Pioneers

There were two teams from Cork in the LOI for almost 30 years (until the late 70s) - anyone know what the Cork derbies were like ? I'm assuming there was some type of geographic division between the supporters of the two clubs ?

Does the current Cork club draw fans from the "catchment areas" of both of the old teams, or could it be considered to be more the continuation of one of the old teams ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    In the fifties and 60s Drums got huge crowds. Tolka was always near full in them days, or so I'm told. Even though the crowds dwindled in the late 60s and early 70s, they would be considered very healthy crowds in these days. Drums and Rovers were the best supported teams in those days. Bohs were amateurs in those days and didn't really command big crowds as far as I know.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    What memories do you have of Home Farm, St Francis, St James' Gate, Newcastlewest, Thurles Town etc

Drumcondra are probably the biggest team to have left the LOI - how did the size of their support compare to Rovers, Bohs, Shelbourne and Pats ?

Going further back in time, anyone know anything about all those former LOI teams from Dublin - Jacobs, Dolphin, Brideville, Brooklyn, Pioneers

There were two teams from Cork in the LOI for almost 30 years (until the late 70s) - anyone know what the Cork derbies were like ? I'm assuming there was some type of geographic division between the supporters of the two clubs ?

Does the current Cork club draw fans from the "catchment areas" of both of the old teams, or could it be considered to be more the continuation of one of the old teams ?
    I remember Cork City played St Francis in the FAI cup at Turners Cross around 1996/1997. Did St Francis merge with St Pats at some stage during the 90's?
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

My brief memory of St. Francis was sitting on a bus for ages to get out to John Hyland Park! Crowd was poor enough.
    While I was waiting for a bus back into town after the match, Athlone Town legend Jan Fitzell spotted me and gave me a lift.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Bohs fans' memories of St Francis would not be positive. Thats the kindest way I can put it without using a lot of bad language!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    In the fifties and 60s Drums got huge crowds. Tolka was always near full in them days, or so I'm told. Even though the crowds dwindled in the late 60s and early 70s, they would be considered very healthy crowds in these days. Drums and Rovers were the best supported teams in those days. Bohs were amateurs in those days and didn't really command big crowds as far as I know.
    I was brought to see Drums as a kid in the late 60`s early 70`s as I lived 5 mins away, probably equivalent to Shel`s crowds now. A lot of misty eyed false memories about Drums, they died a death because of the crap crowds not because Home Farm took them over.
    I certainly don`t remember Rovers having huge crowds in the 70`s other than for the Dublin Derbies.
    Cork Celtic/Hibs would have been the big derby game back then, with 10-15,000 crowds.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    My brief memory of St. Francis was sitting on a bus for ages to get out to John Hyland Park! Crowd was poor enough.
    I was never at a St Francis game, but I remember a brief Irish football magazine called kickin', which gave line-ups and attendances for every LoI game in the previous month; St Francis' crowds would often be in the 30-50 range.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

I wasn't around back then but there are lots of stories of huge crowds in both Turners Cross and Flower Lodge and of course the Mardyke when Cork Athletic used to play Evergreen. Cork Celtic mainly drew support from the South Inner City, Turners Cross, Ballyphehane, Greenmount, Pouladuff and Togher. Cork Hibs were the bigger club and would generally pull support from everywhere else. Obviously this is a generealisation, but may give you an idea.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    St Francis came into the League to replace St james gate, who replaced Newcastlewest (who changed their name from Newcastle United)

They didn't merge with Pats. Before the 2001/02 season a merger was proposed, and St Francis withdrew from the League to pursue this but it never actually happened. Alan Duncan, the guy who decided to kill them as a LOI club, was on the board of Shamrock Rovers within months (and nearly killed them too)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie!

Didn't George Best play briefly for one of the Cork Clubs. They only played him at home games because they didn't want rival teams gaining financially from any potential large gate at away matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    By the by, fo Kilkenny City still exist in any form? Are there any long term plans? (Surely theres room in the A Championship)
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    They were in last year's U-20 league, but folded again half way through.

(Not sure if folded is the correct term; certainly they pulled out)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I remember going to see De Town play in John Hyland Park against St.Francis. Crowd was about 50 I'd say, Town won 3-0. The playing surface was immaculate there though, unbelievable good pitch. I also remember leading 2-0 at home to St.Francis with 9 minutes to go and losing 3-2. Ah those were the days. Also remember going to Whitehall to see us play Home Farm. Awful kip of a place.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Have some old IFA handbooks from late 50's early 60's that give some FAI league and Cup details that makes some interesting details. -
    1956/57 fFAI final @ Daly Drums 2-0 Shams atd 30,000, Leinster Cup Final @ Daly Shams 2-0 Drums atd 20,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    They didn't merge with Pats. Before the 2001/02 season a merger was proposed, and St Francis withdrew from the League to pursue this but it never actually happened.
    Did Pats have a season with the St. Francis crest on the sleeve? Either that or it was just a bloke I saw with the crest sewn on

Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    The playing surface was immaculate there though, unbelievable good pitch.
    Yep, it was like a carpet the time I was there. Again I could well be wrong but I'm nearly sure it was mooted it would be Pats training pitch if the merger went through

Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Also remember going to Whitehall to see us play Home Farm. Awful kip of a place.
    The bar in Whitehall was decent enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah, pats started the season with the Francis crest on the sleeve with Dolan constantly refereing to the club as Dublin Saints (ugh!!!!) but by half way through the seaosn all mentions of them stopped, and only residual stuff remained. Not a great year to be a Pats fan (off the pitch)

Part of Dolan's masterplan was for us to get John Hyland park. Luckily the trustees at St Francis held the ground seperately 9in trust) so it couldn't be touched.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Yeah, pats started the season with the Francis crest on the sleeve with Dolan constantly refereing to the club as Dublin Saints (ugh!!!!) but by half way through the seaosn all mentions of them stopped, and only residual stuff remained. Not a great year to be a Pats fan (off the pitch)

Part of Dolan's masterplan was for us to get John Hyland park. Luckily the trustees at St Francis held the ground seperately 9in trust) so it couldn't be touched.
    Thanks for the info Dodge, I remember reading about such a situation between the two clubs but I lost track of what the eventual outcome was.

As a matter of interest, what level are St Francis competing at these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Leinster Senior League. Not very high up in it either.

They have a strong schoolboy section though. While originally based in the Liberties (Francis st...), they're very much part of the Clondalkin schoolboy scene.

The poster soccerc might give you more accurate info if you need it
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Leinster Senior League. Not very high up in it either.

They have a strong schoolboy section though. While originally based in the Liberties (Francis st...), they're very much part of the Clondalkin schoolboy scene.

The poster soccerc might give you more accurate info if you need it
    Cheers Dodge, thanks for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    My memories of St Francis where hammering them all the time!First time I saw them play us we beat them 7nil!

What happened to James Gate and Drumcondra?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast