Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about fomer LOI clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Are there many clubs that changed their names?(eg galway rovers to galway united)
    Not really. Some changed their name after the original club went bust eg Waterford to Waterford Utd, Cork City to Cork city for a scoop. Limerick is mesier than most and at needs someone like gspain to explain it.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Limerick is mesier than most and at needs someone like gspain to explain it.
    Limerick (1937) - Limerick United (1977)- Limerick City (1983)- Limerick FC (1990) - Limerick 37* (2007)- Limerick FC (2009).

It's with the * that the issue of whether it's the same club or a new club comes up.

I think this is right, but yeah, gspain would be the man for a full answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Are there many clubs that changed their names?(eg galway rovers to galway united)
    Cork teams have had a load of name changes. Fordsons -> Cork FC -> Cork City I -> Cork United I; Albert Rovers -> Cork Alberts -> Cork United II -> Cork Athletic. Most of these were probably down to clubs going bust as Dodge said.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Drumcondra "merged" with Home Farm in 1972/73 to become Home Farm/Drumcondra, the following season they became Home Farm and then theoretically remained in existence through Home Farm/Everton and Dublin City, before going out of existence with that club

The club now styling itself as Drumcondra has neither seed or breed connection with the original club.
    Incorrect. Drumcondra in the LSL are in possession of the deeds of the original club. They were re-formed by a group of Drumcondra supporters in the late seventies/early eighties after the disastrous merger with Home Farm/Drumcondra who dropped the Drumcondra connection after the first season.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Re Limerick, Limerick FC or Limerick AFC (seen both) from 1937 to 1979.

Name change to Limerick United.

New club Limerick City in 1983 incl colour change from blue to yellow/green and left Markets Field for Rathbane. Considered the same by most fans.

Name change back to Limerick FC and colour change back to blue in 1989/90 - new comoany but again same fans etc.

Name change but new company again 2007 - Limerick 37 then new company again back to Limerick FC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Limerick (1937) - Limerick United (1977)- Limerick City (1983)- Limerick FC (1990) - Limerick 37* (2007)- Limerick FC (2009).

It's with the * that the issue of whether it's the same club or a new club comes up.

I think this is right, but yeah, gspain would be the man for a full answer.
    Isn't there something about 2 seperate committees fighting to run the league team (around about the demise of Limrick utd and rise of Limerick City? (Or possibly around the change to Limerick utd?)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Isn't there something about 2 seperate committees fighting to run the league team (around about the demise of Limrick utd and rise of Limerick City? (Or possibly around the change to Limerick utd?)
    Couldn't tell you to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    what ever happened to derry city
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Back in 1995 I was training and in the reserves with "The Gate" and Wikipedia is correct about the "lofty ambitions" bit, and Premier were shirt sponsors. However the problem was that while those of us who were deemed squad players were to be paid boot money, they decided to get some big names in like Paul Byrne (who was over for training) to give us a boost. A friend of mine signed with them and told me that the whole deal collapsed over a £10,000 bond that was unpaid to the league. It was a great club with good facilities and they had a good notion of where they wanted to be, yet nothing is ever simple in the LOI and they were shafted.

Played in John Hyland Park, absolutely beautiful surface.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    [QUOTE=Spudulika;1341619]Back in 1995 I was training and in the reserves with "The Gate" and Wikipedia is correct about the "lofty ambitions" bit, and Premier were shirt sponsors. QUOTE)

I sponsored a team in a 5 a side competition in Iveagh Grounds about that time ,it was ran by Pat Byrne.

My Team was whoever the Gate reserve goalie was at the time.Maurice O Driscoll,Toccy O Connor,Colm Seville & Joe Lawless.

The goals were tiny and we just couldn't score.
    Went to penos we scored our first peno and so did they,we missed our second peno and the ref awarded the game to our opposition (without them taking their second peno) as he was told the penos were sudden death.

The League Of Ireland players went mental

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Incorrect. Drumcondra in the LSL are in possession of the deeds of the original club. They were re-formed by a group of Drumcondra supporters in the late seventies/early eighties after the disastrous merger with Home Farm/Drumcondra who dropped the Drumcondra connection after the first season.
    Drumcondra was founded approx 9/10 years after the original Drums morphed /merged into Home Farm, so the connection is that the new club has the historic documentation associated with the old pre-merger club. Sorry for harping on about this but I`ve had a bellyfull of Bertie and others reminiscing about a club that actually went out of business (merged) due to the lack of interest of the local population..

Anyway best of luck to the new Drumcondra .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    `83/`84? Bohs were due to play Limerick in Dalymount and there was a row as to which Limerick had the right to play. A motley collection of various shades of blue jersey turned out and Bohs won 9 -0 ,I think. I had the programme for years which had blank spaces for the Limerick line-up. There was a guy called Duffy involved with the Limerick outfit, prompting headlines of "Duffy`s Circus" in the papers the following morning.
    The League cancelled the result and ordered the game replayed later that season, 0-0 I think.
    Pre- MNS, but clearly an anti Bohs conspiracy!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    From what i've been told, Hibs were seen mainly as the northside club and Celtic the southside club. I'd need someone older to clarify this though.

Citys fans are from all over the City and County.
    There's an element of truth to that. The number 2 bus would have gone to both Churchfield and Blackrock - so that would have been one way at least for northsiders to get to The Lodge and watch Hibs.

In general as far as attendance goes, because of the location of the lodge and the box, northsiders were under represented at LOI games. That's probably still true to this day. It's a pity as the northside is a large catchment area.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    From what i've been told, Hibs were seen mainly as the northside club and Celtic the southside club. I'd need someone older to clarify this though.

Citys fans are from all over the City and County.
    In general that is correct, as in Celtic woldn't have been seen as a Northside club at all, but half of the Southside would have supported Hibs.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    I remember hearing a story about the first time we played Thurles from an older fan from the Bootboys days in the 70s and 80s and he was saying when we played them for the first time in Thurles they had a band marching into the ground and as they did a hundred or so young lads geared up in their bootboy gear marched in after the band and preceded to run riot across the town that night. Apparently alot of the locals in Thurles were less than impressed with the advent of the LOI in Tipperary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Not really. Some changed their name after the original club went bust eg Waterford to Waterford Utd, Cork City to Cork city for a scoop. Limerick is mesier than most and at needs someone like gspain to explain it.
    Waterford FC and Waterford United FC are the same club/entity but different trading companies. The name change happened towards the end of the 1981/82 season. They turned up one Sunday as Waterford United whereas the week before they were Waterford FC. The change happened overnight. The old company was parked and a new one set up. The changover went smoothly enough with the Manager, Board of Directors, squad, kit man, jerseys, colours and even the tea lady remained the same. It was bizarre. For about a decade afterwards there were some legal wranglings in which WUFC could not claim to be the same club as WFC but that has since been ironed out.

Cork City FC and Cork City Foras Co-op are too completley different clubs/entities and will remain so until the Foras club buys back the CCFC name and rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I remember being in St Mels when Athlone Town skutched Thurles Town either 6-0 or 8-0. Turlough O'Connor was the manager back then and I think he came on and scored in that match! Anyway by the end of game we were calling Thurles ''Turlys Town'' with Turly being Turlough's nickname.

Home Farm had a dire ground.
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Did Thurles Town have much support?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I don't remember Thurles Town bringing big crowds but then again back then Limerick and Shamrock Rovers were the teams that had the biggest followings.
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Declanus View Post
    Didn't George Best play briefly for one of the Cork Clubs. They only played him at home games because they didn't want rival teams gaining financially from any potential large gate at away matches.
    George Best played on 3 occasions for Cork Celtic. The first was in Flower Lodge, the second was away to Shels in, I think, Harolds Cross and the third in Turners Cross. He played in the away game after Shels came to a financial arrangement with Celtic.
    Ask not what your club can do for you but what YOU can do for your club.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast