Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: England Internationals who have played in the League of Ireland

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    Peter Reid only played in one freindly game for Derry City.

As mentioned above, Denis tuite and the superb Neil Mc Nabb played for Derry and did the buisness while with us.Two outstanding players.
    thats a good one about Peter Reid... He left Man City in 1993... so that sounds right as he played for a lot of different clubs after that.. Remember Neil McNabs name being mentioned before...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Can anyone confirm if Terry McDermott ever played for Cork City? It's not clear on his wikipedia biography.

I recall seeing him down the Mardyke in the mid 80's watching a Collingwood Cup game - but cannot remember him lining out for CCFC.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    thats a good one about Peter Reid... He left Man City in 1993... so that sounds right as he played for a lot of different clubs after that.. Remember Neil McNabs name being mentioned before...
    From memory Reid only played one friendly for Derry but there was talk of him being considered for the Derry player/managers job at the time.

Derry also had Steve Bruce guest for them in one match, which I think was a testimonial, but despite him being a regular starter for Manchester United for years never got an England cap!

As for the Scot Neill Mc Nab he played quite a few games for Derry and was truely outstanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnySweeney View Post
    Can anyone confirm if Terry McDermott ever played for Cork City? It's not clear on his wikipedia biography.

I recall seeing him down the Mardyke in the mid 80's watching a Collingwood Cup game - but cannot remember him lining out for CCFC.
    Mc Dermott played a few games for City around 84/85. There was a brief mention of him in one of last seasons match programmes in a series of articles that reviewed Cork City's 25 years in the LOI. I think he scored twice up in Drogheda in a cup game.

John Hollins ex- Chelsea (1 England Cap) and 1 appearance for Cobh Ramblers in the late 80's.
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Raich Carter
    Speaking of Raich Carter, he was both an FA Cup winner with Sunderland before the war and an FAI Cup winner with Cork Athletic in 1953 if memory serves me correct. He was actually capped twice too by the League of Ireland versus the Irish League and the Football League. There can't be many players with the distinction of winning both the FAI and FA Cups can there? Dixie Dean won the FA Cup but was on the losing side for Rovers against Shels after a replay in the 1939 FAI Cup Final.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Billy Hamilton played for us - does he count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo Red View Post
    Speaking of Raich Carter, he was both an FA Cup winner with Sunderland before the war and an FAI Cup winner with Cork Athletic in 1953 if memory serves me correct. He was actually capped twice too by the League of Ireland versus the Irish League and the Football League. There can't be many players with the distinction of winning both the FAI and FA Cups can there? Dixie Dean won the FA Cup but was on the losing side for Rovers against Shels after a replay in the 1939 FAI Cup Final.
    Not too many I'd guess. Can't think of any off the top of my head. I don't think Paddy Mulligan got an FA cup medal in 1970.

Jimmy Delaney did of course win an FA Cup, a Scottish Cup and an Irish Cup. He was also on the Cork Athletic side that led Rovers 2-0 with 10 minutes to go in the 1956 final. Rovers scored 3 times while secretary Donie Forde was across the road from Dalyer buying the champagne.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Jack Burkett was another nearly man. WOn the FA Cup with West Ham and was on the Pats side that reaached, and lost, the 1974 FAI Cup Final. Think he won the Euo Cup WInners Cup too with West ham
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dixie Dean.

I had no idea Dixie Dean played with Sligo till someone said it here.He had an unreal goal scoring record for Everton- 349 goals in 399 games.His record for Sligo wasnt bad either,10 goals in 7 games as per Wiki.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onefootednopace View Post
    John Hollins ex- Chelsea (1 England Cap) and 1 appearance for Cobh Ramblers in the late 80's.
    I know which one he SHOULD be proud of! Was that under Alfie Hale?
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    I know which one he SHOULD be proud of! Was that under Alfie Hale?
    I'm not 100% sure if Hale was managing Ramblers at that particular time but from what I remember there were a few Waterford based players in the Ramblers line-up during that period.
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    OK the final list - I think

Dixie Dean, Raich Carter, Alan Sunderland, Steve Williams, Denis Tueart, Mike Channon, Peter Barnes, Frank Worthington, Luther Blisset, Rodney Marsh, Ian Callaghan, Geoff Hurst,
    Terry McDermott, Trevor Brooking, John Hollins, Bobby Charlton, Barry Bridges, Gordon Banks, Terry Venables, Carlton Palmer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post

Dixie Dean, Raich Carter, Alan Sunderland, Steve Williams, Denis Tueart, Mike Channon, Peter Barnes, Frank Worthington, Luther Blisset, Rodney Marsh, Ian Callaghan, Geoff Hurst,
    Terry McDermott, Trevor Brooking, John Hollins, Bobby Charlton, Barry Bridges, Gordon Banks, Terry Venables, Carlton Palmer.
    Bobby Tambling.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Not too many I'd guess. Can't think of any off the top of my head. I don't think Paddy Mulligan got an FA cup medal in 1970.

Jimmy Delaney did of course win an FA Cup, a Scottish Cup and an Irish Cup. He was also on the Cork Athletic side that led Rovers 2-0 with 10 minutes to go in the 1956 final. Rovers scored 3 times while secretary Donie Forde was across the road from Dalyer buying the champagne.
    Peter McParland is another close call... won the FA Cup with Villa '57, 12th man for Dundalk in '52.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    12th man for Dundalk in '52.
    Did ye get a points deduction for that?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Dunno why I didn't remember that - but Peter Reid did guest for Derry in a friendly against Crystal Palace (26th January 1994)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Reaching far back into history but Vincent Matthews (ex-Sheffield United) got two caps for England in 1928 and subsequently joined Shamrock Rovers (probably in the early 30s). There was quite a bit of movement from England to Ireland until the maximum wage was abolished in English football so there might have been a few more before The Emergency.

Looks like there was a Frank Broom who played for Shelbourne around 1955 - 16 years after the last of his 7 caps. http://www.englandfc.com/Profiles/ph...fileByName.php
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 02/04/2010 at 1:08 AM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

21. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123