Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 1st nomination for the worst refereeing decision of the season - Padraig Sutton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

The 1st nomination for the worst refereeing decision of the season - Padraig Sutton

It looks like we have a contender for the worst refeereing decision for 2010.

March's winner is Pádraig Sutton's calamity who unbelievale sent off Liam Kearney for diving last night at Drom after been clattered in the box by a Salthill defender.

Look at the video and see what you think. The initial reaction of the Salthill defender says it all.

http://bluestid.blogspot.com/

and to think this guy will be officiating at a senior game next week. The mnd boggles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Don't want to burst your bubble or anything but its far from the first...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Don't want to burst your bubble or anything but its far from the first...
    Can we get all video evidence together, compile it and embarass these charlatans.

It would be a great DVD seller.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Can we get all video evidence together, compile it and embarass these charlatans.
    It would be a great DVD seller.
    Great idea! (That was some howler by Sutton.... Red card brandished with arrogant pomposity too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Its good to see Refereeing standards are at least consistant across the two divisions.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Why in the name of goodness are Refs like him not sacked??

The defender comes tearing in with studs showing and completely misses the ball. It’s questionable whether the defender made contact with Kearney. But who could blame him for wanting to get out of the way. Kearney didn't even appear to appeal for the penalty and was getting up when the bungling Ref came running over in a clear attempt to win this season's "get the red card out of the pocket fastest" competition.

Can somebody get on to MNS and try to get that clip shown to a wider audience.
    Last edited by SMorgan; 28/03/2010 at 3:31 PM.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It's comforting to know that if any of the top officials are unavailable that there are referees of a similar standard being groomed!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Awful decision right enough, but Kearney's previous diving exploits probably preceded him.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    You cant get two yellows appealed can you? Its just straight reds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    The sad part of a league of Ireland fan's life is looking to see who the ref is before the fixture and thinking "oh that's the ***** that ...."
    Ok fair enough they're only human and everyone makes mistakes. It's just they make so many and don't seem to have any consistency.

Dundalk have played 4 games and there has been mistakes in all four of them.

Vs Bray - Burns (last man) brings down a player in the box ref blows up instead of playing advantage bray player puts ball in net but game is called back peno awarded but Burns not even booked.
    Vs Drogs - Two very harsh penalties for each side, Daly gets away without a caution for braking Alan Cawley's jaw but ends up getting sent off for kicking the ball away.
    Vs Rovers - Gaynor gets lifted out of it by last man Manus. Not even a free. Bayly gets a yellow card for headbutting a player (wtf).
    Vs Pats - Mulcahy commits a two footed lunge with studs showing on Kelly which shocked everyone in the ground by only resulting in a yellow card. The same player moments later bodychecks a dundalk player and yet again gets away with it. A 50/50 challenge between Guthrie and Faz on the edge of the box results in a ridiculous free awarded to Dundalk (if anything it was a free out). The ref fails to even caution Guthrie even though he is the last man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Refs don't have the benefit of camera footage with a perfect view. Refs will ALWAYS make mistakes. It's natural and it's football. Get on with the show.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Refs don't have the benefit of camera footage with a perfect view. Refs will ALWAYS make mistakes. It's natural and it's football. Get on with the show.
    Fair point, but why do LoI refs seem to get more big decisions wrong rather than right?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Fair point, but why do LoI refs seem to get more big decisions wrong rather than right?
    I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd say it's just that we are more likely to consider wrong refereeing decisions "big decisions" than we are to consider a correct decision a "big decision".

I've watched 4 of Limerick's 5 games so far, and the only big decision I'd say a ref got wrong was denying us a penalty just before half-time against Mervue.

In fact, I'd argue that to a certain extent, decisions are only "big decisions" if the ref seems to have gotten it wrong.
    Last edited by osarusan; 28/03/2010 at 7:26 PM. Reason: forgot key word.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I know what you're saying Osarusan. I've seen 3 of Town's 4 league games so far and some of the decisions the officials make are just a joke. We got a penalty given against us in Monaghan for a Monaghan player handling the ball in our box. We got a throw given to us last night for Peter Hynes kicking the ball out of play. The linesman was literally 3 yards away. We also got a throw last night when the ball wasn't even out of play. The ref blew for a Shels corner last night before the ball had gone out of play, then the linesman put up his flag as soon as the ref blew, even though our left back and a Shels player were still contesting play. Fair enough the last 3 decisions I've listed aren't exactly game changing ones, but they're still basic errors that shouldn't be happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    WOW! Weird decision. Poor referee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    The general consensus from our games so far has been 'Wow, the ref ARE actually worse in the first division'. Not all major things but constant poor decisions, for both sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd say it's just that we are more likely to consider refereeing decisions "big decisions" than we are to consider a correct decision a "big decision".

I've watched 4 of Limerick's 5 games so far, and the only big decision I'd say a ref got wrong was denying us a penalty just before half-time against Mervue.

In fact, I'd argue that to a certain extent, decisions are only "big decisions" if the ref seems to have gotten it wrong.
    I take it you missed the Derry game so?
    And we have only played 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd say it's just that we are more likely to consider refereeing decisions "big decisions" than we are to consider a correct decision a "big decision".

i still have a sore throat from that mervue game, the peno ("where the grass tripped the player") mervues "goal" where the ball only had to enter the limerick 6 yard box for it to be awarded, and of course the three mins added of additional time when the game was held up for about 20 mins for two long injuries followed by 6 six subs these officials are monitored so id love to see when refs get the results ie suspensions etc or rewarded with trips from Kerry to monaghan for travel expenses....nnot looking at anyone mr templeman.....78c a km
    Last edited by gael353; 28/03/2010 at 6:13 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Just to add in about Suttons performance last night. He let Salthill off with a handball. The ball was played into the air and was going out of play. The salthill player caught the ball before it had went out. 3/4 Of out players called it and the ref said and i quote! " Lads it was going out anyway"

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    I take it you missed the Derry game so?
    And we have only played 4.
    Right, only 4. Longford was the 3rd, not 4th.

Was at the Derry game, thought both our red card and the decision not to give us a penalty were correct decisions, though some Derry fans seemed to feel we should have had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast