Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 1st nomination for the worst refereeing decision of the season - Padraig Sutton

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Also last night in our match the ref rightly gave us a penalty for shels keeper Delaney clattering into Derek Glynn but only gave him a yellow when he was the last man back!!! Delaney ended up saving the penalty although the rebound was put in. But at that stage it was 4-2, Shels would of been down to 10 men and I would of fancied our chances of coming back.
    Last edited by Town Legend; 28/03/2010 at 9:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Right, only 4. Longford was the 3rd, not 4th.

Was at the Derry game, thought both our red card and the decision not to give us a penalty were correct decisions, though some Derry fans seemed to feel we should have had one.
    And the Derry player that got away with it said it was a shocking decision was 100% pen. Have no problem with our sending off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    yep ref choked it was definitly a straight red

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    It looks like we have a contender for the worst refeereing decision for 2010.

March's winner is Pádraig Sutton's calamity who unbelievale sent off Liam Kearney for diving last night at Drom after been clattered in the box by a Salthill defender.

Look at the video and see what you think. The initial reaction of the Salthill defender says it all.

http://bluestid.blogspot.com/

and to think this guy will be officiating at a senior game next week. The mnd boggles.

First nomination?!?! It took all of 2 minutes in Bray on the first day of the season. That is a shocker though. Stonewall penalty, a terrible tackle. Yep, just watched it again it's a real Sunday league sliding tackle about 14 seconds too late.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    The sad part of a league of Ireland fan's life is looking to see who the ref is before the fixture and thinking "oh that's the ***** that ....".
    ha ha ha very true.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

March's winner is Pádraig Sutton's calamity who unbelievale sent off Liam Kearney for diving last night at Drom after been clattered in the box by a Salthill defender.

Look at the video and see what you think. The initial reaction of the Salthill defender says it all.

http://bluestid.blogspot.com/

and to think this guy will be officiating at a senior game next week. The mnd boggles.
    This guy reffed an FAI Cup game between Everton FC and Carrick Utd in 2008 and gave the worst display of refeering I have ever seen, including Junior games.
    How this person is deemed proficient to officiate at this level is laughable.
    But this type of ineptitude is commonplace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Whats worse lads is Padraig Sutton is a Premier Referee.Weve had him loads of times and he always makes mistakes .First game of the season he gives Stephen O'Donnell 2 yellow cards one for an innocous challenge and the 2nd for an alleged dive on the half way line and then compounds it by chickening out of giving us a stonewall penalty .
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Also last night in our match the ref rightly gave us a penalty for shels keeper Delaney clattering into Derek Glynn but only gave him a yellow when he was the last man back!!! Delaney ended up saving the penalty although the rebound was put in. But at that stage it was 4-2, Shels would of been down to 10 men and I would of fancied our chances of coming back.
    http://vimeo.com/10506772
    Defo the last man, no disputing that. Wouldn't have fancied your chances of coming back though but anythings possible.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    don't want to come across as an apologist here but having watched the incident on the link supplied by CSFShles, I wouldn't expect a red card for the tackle, mainly because the Longford player actually got his shot away before being clattered, and it was cleared off the line. The Longford player wasn't trying to knock it round him and tap it in, he was trying to lift it over him, and would never have got to the ball before the Shels defender anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Fair point, but why do LoI refs seem to get more big decisions wrong rather than right?
    C'mon, we all know that if a referee is any good at all, he is going to be scouted picked up by a really big English or Scottish league before he is 16 or 17; only the no-hopers stay here. Sure some of the refs that go over just don't make it, and occasionally they fall into the League of Ireland, but they completely stand out a million miles because they are so much better because they have seen REAL refereeing up close. That is why I exclusively watch the EPL - the standard of refereeing is much better than some paraochial bog league refereed by guys who are not even as good as some of the junior league referees. And don't come up with some kind of lame ass League of Ireland fanatic excuse like "look at the guy who does internationals" - Fifa only pick him to keep you lot happy.

And for my next trick "How there isn't a single kit in the League of Ireland good enough to compare with a dodgy League 2 third choice jersey".
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I am a referee myself. It's been done to death, a referee will NEVER have a perfect game. Doesn't matter what level. We're only human.

However, there seems to be a philosophy within the LOI refs that once you're qualified to ref LOI, it means that you have 'made it', and therefore you don't have to prove to anyone that you're a good ref, they all think they're the dogs b*llocks. That's why we see them flash out needless yellow cards and try and take centrefold of a game (Dundalk V Drogs) or make an absolute disgrace of themselves (Drogs V Bohs. I notice the referee in question here was not given a game in last week's fixtures). No need for the pompous reffing. Get on with it and do it efficiently. A good referee is one that you don't notice.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    A good referee is one that you don't notice.
    i beg to differ MD.

14. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sutton is a dope. Clear peno for Kearney and ends up getting sent off.

He's not as bad as Graham Kelly though!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Whats worse lads is Padraig Sutton is a Premier Referee.Weve had him loads of times and he always makes mistakes .First game of the season he gives Stephen O'Donnell 2 yellow cards one for an innocous challenge and the 2nd for an alleged dive on the half way line and then compounds it by chickening out of giving us a stonewall penalty .
    and hes back in Galway this weekend ,has been promoted to a premier match for the decision in salthill been appointed to galway v Dundalk
    Last edited by Guitd; 31/03/2010 at 8:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    ....has been promoted to a premier match .....
    I think for "promoted" you could read "lives near enough and has nothing better to do on the night".
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    ...or make an absolute disgrace of themselves (Drogs V Bohs. I notice the referee in question here was not given a game in last week's fixtures). ...
    I watched this one with interest, wondering how Bohs managed to end up against 9 men this time (instead of the usual 10.) Have to say some decision were questionable but I think all four yellows for the two sendings off were justifiable. Obviously Drogs fans would argue against, but not one of the four yellows was outright wrong, imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

My apologies for linking to the Laws of the Game when discussing the laws of the game, but the ref was absolutely correct not to send Delaney off. The famous "last man" does not exist in the rule book. The phrase is "denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity". Longford striker took his shot and got it on target. (this was his obvious goal-scoring opportunity.) THEN he was taken out by the keeper. A foul and a pen, yes, but no obvious goal-scoring opportunity was denied as the striker was never going to score even if he wasn't taken out by the keeper.
    Last edited by seand; 01/04/2010 at 10:35 AM.

20. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Even I feel a tad sory for little Frodo after that. Crazy decision.
    Is this the same Sutton that awarded ye a ridiculous penalty in front of the Shed a few weeks back.

I guess they even themselves out.

A good referee is one that you don't notice.
    Credit where its due to John McLoughlin last Friday night, he reffed a very good game.
    Last edited by razor; 01/04/2010 at 11:52 AM.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I am a referee myself. It's been done to death, a referee will NEVER have a perfect game. Doesn't matter what level. We're only human.

However, there seems to be a philosophy within the LOI refs that once you're qualified to ref LOI, it means that you have 'made it', and therefore you don't have to prove to anyone that you're a good ref, they all think they're the dogs b*llocks. That's why we see them flash out needless yellow cards and try and take centrefold of a game (Dundalk V Drogs) or make an absolute disgrace of themselves (Drogs V Bohs. I notice the referee in question here was not given a game in last week's fixtures). No need for the pompous reffing. Get on with it and do it efficiently. A good referee is one that you don't notice.
    Good point MD, i sometimes believe that certain refs feel the match is not a match until they "impose" themselves on it. Perhaps the cult of the EPL refs and the higher profile they now "enjoy" ? Personally I doubt any fan ever paid in to watch a ref (despite the comedy value often on show). i think the high level of red cards may be due to refs to often giving yellow cards when a stern word might suffice, thus when a second offence arises they have little option but to issue a second yellow card.

From what I see (mainly bohs games and MNS + live games) the majority of yellow/red cards are in fact correct and therefore the refs should not be blamed (again inheirited from the EPL ?) but the lack of (A) common sense and (B) consistency is evident throughout the League.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12