Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BETOP - Bring Europe to Oriel Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I don't think that any of these are currently on Dundalk's radar - as there is a passionate determination to hold it at Oriel Park
    which is fair enough and I hope it works out that way, but surely ye need to have some sort of back up plan in place, just in case things go to plan with Oriel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I'm sure they have a back up plan in place.

Fair dues to the Dundalk board as playing a Euro game at home is something the whole town should be proud off.

When Derry were drawn to play PSG we only had a week to put 300+ extra proper seats in plus proper media facilities and it was sorted in no time.The board at the time was adamant that the game should be played in the Brandywell and it got great press because of it.

If Dundalk do get the game played in Oriel I'm sure myself and plenty of other Derry fans will be there.

Actually I wouldn't mind a nice away trip as well dont mind us tagging along again (aka 2002)
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    I'm sure they have a back up plan in place.

Fair dues to the Dundalk board as playing a Euro game at home is something the whole town should be proud off.

When Derry were drawn to play PSG we only had a week to put 300+ extra proper seats in plus proper media facilities and it was sorted in no time.The board at the time was adamant that the game should be played in the Brandywell and it got great press because of it.

If Dundalk do get the game played in Oriel I'm sure myself and plenty of other Derry fans will be there.

Actually I wouldn't mind a nice away trip as well dont mind us tagging along again (aka 2002)
    The more the betetr at the game Candystripe. All fans will be welcome, if ye are truly considering attending the game, it would be great if ye could spare 5-10 quid deposit now for your ticket. You can pay online, all is available on www.dundalkfc.com. Word on our forum is that 300 or so have already paid the deposit or the whoel amount. One such fan lives abroad and bought 7 tickets or somethign liek that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsFans View Post
    How many were at Dundalk's last home European match in Dublin, 200 was it?
    500-600 in Tolka. Losing the first leg 5-0 doesn't help! Great initiative by Dundalk here, just hope the locals don't embarass themselves and let this opportunity slip away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    when it hits the local press tues/weds oriel i have no doubt that there will be momentum on this,its a win win situation for DFC.but we have to keep the campaign going
    taking this game to dublin would be a disaster not just for us but for the leauge in general
    BETOP
    Why would it be a disaster for the rest of the leauge if you have to take the game to dublin ? It might be a disaster for dfc but it wont affect anybody else . Dufc played all our euro games in Dalymount and it didnt effect anyone else but us and Bohs ! Hope the game goes ahead in Oriel but it you have to play it in Dalymount so be it .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Don't see why the big appeal for other clubs fans to help out. The line "it'll make a better away section for ye in future" is funny...Dundalk's board shouldn't be getting any praise here, it's only natural they should be trying to get the game in Oriel. About time they did something with the ground and if it's not done in time, it's their own fault.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Don't see why the big appeal for other clubs fans to help out. The line "it'll make a better away section for ye in future" is funny...Dundalk's board shouldn't be getting any praise here, it's only natural they should be trying to get the game in Oriel. About time they did something with the ground and if it's not done in time, it's their own fault.
    Technically thats not true, the board took over a sinking ship a number of years ago and have vastly improved a very delapidated ground and tbh its our own fans that where catered for first and then it'll be the away section. Now is actually the best possible time to try and correct that situation.

More info released today:
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/100329_BETOP2.asp

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/100329_BETOP2.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    I disagree, DFC board should be applauded since Mr. matthews took over the running of the club. the difference in before Mr. Matthews came on board and what he has done for the club since has been remarkable. a balanced budget up until last year. numberous ground developments incl a new shed, a youth development centre, new panels on the main stand, new dressing rooms, refurbishment of the bar has been truly reamrkable because as far a capex is concerned it is his own money( though it is open to correction). whereas under previous regimes we used to have a whip around through town to get a bulb replaced for the floodlights.
    This development of oriel while being a great thing solely for dundalk will improve one of the oldest grounds in the league, and hopefully the finished article will not only make oriel look like a 20th century venue but a 21st century venue.
    For anything in this league that has ground improvements can really only be a good thing

i think you point in us asking other loi fans to help out has been taken out of context. We know that there are loi fans who follow other loi clubs in europe and the original poster was alluding to that fact that if they could would they consider purchasing the ticket now instead of later. Lets face if this game is in Oriel then tickets will be priceless for the game. I think the demand for the game will be alot higher than the attendence we will be allocated but not enough to have it anywhere else.

If anyone is interested in going to the game or think they would like to be there then they should put their name down. If we get the go ahead for this then it will be a sell out.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Thanks jinxy, that's exactly what I meant about other LOI fans, not begging other fans to buy tickets just the ones who know they'll attend the game to purchase early if they can to help the initiative

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Good luck with this, if it improves the away section then happy days!

12. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyPats View Post
    Good luck with this, if it improves the away section then happy days!
    Will it though? I can't imagine them putting seats down there. If it were me there would be 3 other sides of the ground I'd rather develop along with replacing the seats in the stand which don't even meet licensing criteria.

And with repect, the away section could hardly get any worse.
    Jamie Duffy covers more ground than Roadrunner ever did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If you read the proposal, or even Ezekial's informative post in this thread, you'd know how the current away section would be upgraded (and yes it needs it).

I can't understand how anyione would be against a LOI side improving facilities
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    If you read the proposal, or even Ezekial's informative post in this thread, you'd know how the current away section would be upgraded (and yes it needs it).

I can't understand how anyione would be against a LOI side improving facilities

You would be surprised!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    Why would it be a disaster for the rest of the leauge if you have to take the game to dublin ? It might be a disaster for dfc but it wont affect anybody else . Dufc played all our euro games in Dalymount and it didnt effect anyone else but us and Bohs ! Hope the game goes ahead in Oriel but it you have to play it in Dalymount so be it .
    I think the point here is we are trying to ensure the game is played local and at the same time develop a ground that is in dire need of redevelopment.

The same way you would feel if United Pk (sorry HD Pk) was close to been almost fully seated, and you could play a home game in europe. The same way any fan of this lge would be happy to see any ground redeveloped. Consider the atmosphere and how the whole day would have felt for you if you had played those big euro games in 07-08 at home v Dalymount ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Being a tad cynical here, but I for one will not be supporting this scheme. Best of luck to Dundalk and I hope they do well in Europe, but why has it taken this long for the club to get up off its arse and do something about the away section?? That section is barely fit for LOI div. 1 standards, never mind Europe. It just seems that the club were all too happy to leave it in its deteriorated state for all the visiting fans. But once Europe comes along its all "Pity old us, we might not be able to play our home game in Oriel. Please help." If it works, fairplay, but if it doesn't, tough.
    You've got no fans.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    How many people would oriel be able to hold if these new seats get put in ?
    Ahhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran W View Post
    How many people would oriel be able to hold if these new seats get put in ?
    Just over 3,000 for Europe but in terms of league standards, it'll still be well able to hold around the 5,000 mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Being a tad cynical here, but I for one will not be supporting this scheme. Best of luck to Dundalk and I hope they do well in Europe, but why has it taken this long for the club to get up off its arse and do something about the away section?? That section is barely fit for LOI div. 1 standards, never mind Europe. It just seems that the club were all too happy to leave it in its deteriorated state for all the visiting fans. But once Europe comes along its all "Pity old us, we might not be able to play our home game in Oriel. Please help." If it works, fairplay, but if it doesn't, tough.
    You for one shoudl know the financial difficulties we where in 5 years ago and when GM came it it was a long term plan tog et the team up to the Premier and at the same time to start re-developing Oriel. Home fans will always be catered for first by any club, and you cant say that they wont but seen as though we are being given a very good opportunity to host this game at Oriel, the first since 91 if Im not mistaken has now giving our board that chance to re-develope the away end quicker than expected along with parts of the rest of the ground. The Youth Developemnt centre was a plan initiated originally a few years ago by the board but couldn't take off until proper funding was achieved and that only happened last year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    This is correct, the Youth Centre will cost upwards of 5m and the priority was always to finish that first. I agree the away section is very poor, but that should be upgraded with the new seating. Also the plan is also to install seating behind the town goal I think at a later stage, so the away fans will not necessarily be housed in the current area long term. The long term goal is to take the capacity up to 7,000 seats, although it will hardly be required, and I think 5k would be more than sufficient.

Amazing response from Meathdrog.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    The Shlebourne and Deportivo game in 2004 was played in Tolka if i'm correct.
    This was played in Lansdowne
    Last edited by Fester; 30/03/2010 at 12:16 PM.

25. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast