Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel Expenses?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    particularly when of 3000 that attend a rovers game 2500 may be season ticket holder. Granted not all will attend but add in sponsors, patrons etc and you might have only 500 paying customers on the night. Half them are students, OAPS or kids. The "gate" receipts might be only €8,000 or so. No way should an away team get half of that

(and Rovers would by far the highest attendances in case anyone thinks I'm trying to take a pop at them)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I heartily endorse the idea of split gates.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    particularly when of 3000 that attend a rovers game 2500 may be season ticket holder. Granted not all will attend but add in sponsors, patrons etc and you might have only 500 paying customers on the night. Half them are students, OAPS or kids. The "gate" receipts might be only €8,000 or so. No way should an away team get half of that

(and Rovers would by far the highest attendances in case anyone thinks I'm trying to take a pop at them)
    Not half, but 10% would be okay. It probably sounds too goodie goodie, but it would spread money around and little and give a bit of a chance to small clubs. The main problems will remain though - fiddling the numbers, spending the windfall on players.

There is a system in some countries regarding away games that I heard at a conference in London some years ago, I think it's in the J-League, where the league pays clubs 35% of their travel costs each year and prize money is lower overall. I could be completely wrong but someone working for a Japanese employer might enlighten me - something similiar works like this in their corporate world. I think the travel costs are calculated centrally and dished out instead of Billy O'Leary sticking in an invoice for double the cost).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Not half, but 10% would be okay. It probably sounds too goodie goodie, but it would spread money around and little and give a bit of a chance to small clubs. The main problems will remain though - fiddling the numbers, spending the windfall on players
    10% of what though? How are season tickets or double match tickets included? Should the away side pay 10% of the costs incurred to promote the match?

Just not workable
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    10% of what though? How are season tickets or double match tickets included? Should the away side pay 10% of the costs incurred to promote the match?

Just not workable
    Sounds a difficult way to redistribute funds. Why should bigger clubs fund smaller clubs to that extent anyway ? Shams have the biggest crowds but in my opinion have done the best promotional work, why should they not benifit from that promotional effort ? Proposal is a charter for lazy clubs - why bother, sure we can cash in on other clubs efforts

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I think it's in the J-League, where the league pays clubs 35% of their travel costs each year and prize money is lower overall. I could be completely wrong but someone working for a Japanese employer might enlighten me - something similiar works like this in their corporate world. I think the travel costs are calculated centrally and dished out instead of Billy O'Leary sticking in an invoice for double the cost).
    I worked for a Japanese company in Japan. My travel costs were just a monthly bus/train pass, and I bought it with my own money, but received the same amount as part of my monthly salary. There are limits to how much you can claim though, and there are websites companies can check to see if the employee is trying to cheat a little (by buying a more expensive pass at the start, then buying a cheaper one from then on but still being reimbursed for the higher amount ). This would be absolutely standard as a way of paying travel costs.

No idea if J-League travel costs are centrally dealt with, but I do know that in the Asian champions League, the away teams get a subsidy for their travel costs.

And as for the issue of LOI travel expenses (and the away team getting some % of the gate - wtf??) - I'd say it's nonsense, each club should take care of itself.
    Last edited by osarusan; 30/04/2010 at 4:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Sounds a difficult way to redistribute funds. Why should bigger clubs fund smaller clubs to that extent anyway ? Shams have the biggest crowds but in my opinion have done the best promotional work, why should they not benifit from that promotional effort ? Proposal is a charter for lazy clubs - why bother, sure we can cash in on other clubs efforts
    I HAVE IT QUOTED!!! A BOHS FAN PRAISING THE EFFORTS OF SHAMROCK ROVERS!! NO EDITING NOW MB!!

Seriously though, it is an unworkable idea. How do you determine what a fair percentage of the gate should be? and what about other activities that the home club will have budgeted this money for, like wages, youth development, ground upkeep, and so on.

the idea of a centrally managed travel fund is interesting, would probably take a bit of work to make it function properly though.
    i believe in one man, one vote. i should be that one man with that one vote.

ALWAYS ON TOUR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    but I do know that in the Asian champions League, the away teams get a subsidy for their travel costs
    UEFA give all entrants money to cover costs too
    ---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12