Thread: Mick McCarthy

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Mick McCarthy

Taken from an article in The Guardian a couple of weeks back:

"Shedding 16 players, each earning in excess of £1m a year, may not seem like a conventional formula for success but it appears to have worked wonders for Sunderland, whose extraordinary rebirth was emphasised by yesterday's passage into the semi-finals.
    Once that cull was completed last summer, many pundits predicted a second successive relegation but instead Mick McCarthy's team are not only threatening an immediate return to the Premiership but now have a Cardiff Cup final date in their sights.
    They have reached the last four with a team comprising previously overlooked reserves along with other clubs' cast-offs."

Given McCarthy's record this season - with little or no money to spend and a hotch-potch collection of players - plus taking into consideration his achievements with Ireland...... while admitting that the man did make mistakes (most recently persisiting with Harte over O'shea and of course that business in Saipan)..........is it time to admit that Mick McCarthy was (and is) a very good manager? Or does anybody care anymore!!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't really care but I think that McCarthy is a very poor manager. He was responsible for the demise of Milwall, for Ireland not qualifying for Euro 2004 and also for making some bad decisions in Saipan.
    I was very disappointed the day he was appointed Irish manager and continued to be so until the day he left. I'm glad we're rid of him and Sunderland are welcome to him and First Division mediocracy.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Probably...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    attachment upload test
    Brilliant!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    Brilliant!
    Now that can attach pics more to follow manana...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

only1kilbane

Red face

Jesus Millwall were hardly worldbeaters when Mick took over and he didnt do a bad job. If the whole Saipan saga had not happened we would not have faced such criticism. I think we are seeing how good a job the man can do now. As a Sunderland fan myself he has turned the club around and brought a feel good factor back to the team something wilko was sorely lacking last year. Given time and some money he will develop Sunderland into a decent Premier League side .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think irregardless of what he does for Sunderland he was a poor manager when here and had to go. Anyway, he's hardly set the world alight at Sunderland as it is, it's not a great first division this season and he's in the last play off place with a good team. Decent, but hardly a major success, and anything less then it would be considered failure.

And that's an opinion which has nothing to do with Saipan, something which I'd support him over. As a blokme, I like McCarthy. Always honest and commited to the cause, and doesn't seem to hold any resentment over the fact he's no longer manager, but as a manager I felt he had to go. Just my opinion though.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He went because a few blinkered supporters wanted K***e back. These people should now be eating humble pie.

Failure was not all down to McCarthy didn't realise he was in charge for the game in Switzerland. Maybe we're happy with the current coach coz he's got a loveable Irish accent and not an english one.

Doing a great job at Sunderland for a team that laid off its staff and sold its best players. Current team also includes the much slated Babb,Breen and McAteer. Oh, did I mention the cup semi Final? Hope Sunderland supporters appreciate him coz our lot didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Declan_Michael
    He went because a few blinkered supporters wanted K***e back. These people should now be eating humble pie.

Failure was not all down to McCarthy didn't realise he was in charge for the game in Switzerland. Maybe we're happy with the current coach coz he's got a loveable Irish accent and not an english one.

Doing a great job at Sunderland for a team that laid off its staff and sold its best players. Current team also includes the much slated Babb,Breen and McAteer. Oh, did I mention the cup semi Final? Hope Sunderland supporters appreciate him coz our lot didn't.
    I don't want Keane back and I wanted McCarthy out. It's not all about Roy Keane, looking at him as a manager of this country objectively, he wasn't good enough.

At Sunderland, he's managing a side that's about good enough to be where they are in the league, and the cup run he's only faced one non nationwide team. I'd hardly class Dennis Wise as an international class manager anyway.

Sunderland sold alot of players but mainly ones who weren't playing well for them. Kilbane was a joke at Sunderland, Phillips stopped producing long before he went, Gray was awful and they were the big ones to leave. He's doing a decent job in the first division but he's hardly gone on to prove anyone wrong.

only1kilbane

Angry

The players that Sunderland sold were in fact there best players. Kevin Philips was always going to leave if we went down. Kevin Kilbane got voted player of the season by the sunderland fans the season we went down so hardly seen as a joke. Gray awful doubtful ask any sunderland fan if they would like micky still playing for us and they would. They also sold Gavin Mc Cann, Claudio Reyna who were our two best midfielders as well as Thomas Sorensen. For a man to have built the best defence in the first division with Gary Breen and Phil Babb as a partnership has to get some credit !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These people should now be eating humble pie.

Why would we eat humble pie? He's hardly running away with the NW. As for the English accent thing, don't be stupid. I don't care what accent our manager has I only care about whether or not he's a good manager and Mick McCarthy's not.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    McCarthy's last international games in charge

Nigeria friendly Lost

Cameroon WC draw

saudi Arabia WC Win

Germany WC Draw

Spain WC Draw

Russia ECQ Lost

Switzerland ECQ lost

It was the above record of one win in 7 games that cost McCarthy his Job.
    Bring back the plank

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    McCarthy's last international games in charge

Nigeria friendly Lost

Cameroon WC draw

saudi Arabia WC Win

Germany WC Draw

Spain WC Draw

Russia ECQ Lost

Switzerland ECQ lost

It was the above record of one win in 7 games that cost McCarthy his Job.
    Nope if that was the case he would have went in '97 or '99. Your quoting a pointless friendly and a decent run in the World Cup. Incidentally we only won 1 game in World Cup '94 and 1 in 1990. Did Charlton get axed after that? I think a certain ex-captain was a good excuse to some to get rid of Mick. Unfortnatly it back fired when K***e turned Kerr down. Had nothing to do with McCarthy's record, which is still the second best in Irish International history.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Why would we eat humble pie? He's hardly running away with the NW. As for the English accent thing, don't be stupid. I don't care what accent our manager has I only care about whether or not he's a good manager and Mick McCarthy's not.
    I'm talking more about the fact that with McCarthy gone people hoped K***e would return with a massive parade down O'Connell St, a statue erected in Cork as well him achieving a united Ireland and winning Euro 2004 on his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Maybe we're happy with the current coach coz he's got a loveable Irish accent and not an english one.
    Mick's accent is lovable enough. Certainly no worse than Kerr's knacker Dublin one.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    I think irregardless of what he does for Sunderland he was a poor manager when here and had to go. Anyway, he's hardly set the world alight at Sunderland as it is, it's not a great first division this season and he's in the last play off place with a good team. Decent, but hardly a major success, and anything less then it would be considered failure.
    He's in third in the league with two games in hand. He's in the FA Cup semi-final, and he's done all that with the shattered ramains of a team that came very near to setting a new record for most games lost in a row. I'd argue that he couldn't possibly be asked to be doing more.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    He was responsible for the demise of Milwall
    You have to be joking! They were challenging for promotion to the Premiership when he left to take over as Ireland manager, had just knocked Liverpool out of the Cup and pushed Arsenal close (if not beaten them?) It was his successor who then took the team down that same season.

It's gas how the McCarthy-bashers can come up with the most ridiculous arguments to support the rubbish they spout (like the stat about Sunderland being sixth in the First - completely ignoring the games in hand they have. Or McCarthy's last seven games - missing a comprehensive hammering of a decent Finland side in Helsinki while missing some key players). Meanwhile Sunderland fans think he's a great manager. But they only see him every week - what do they know?

Ultimately, I think he was right to leave when he did as the media finally seemed to have gotten to him and his heart didn't seem to be in it any more. But to knock his achievements as Irish manager is ridiculous and probably comes from sycophantic tabloid readers more than anyone else.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Decent, but hardly a major success, and anything less then it would be considered failure.
    Another ridiculous point - before the season, there were people on this board saying that Sunderland could be looking at a second relegation, and mid-table would be the best they could hope for. But suddenly, he wins a few games and expectations are revised upwards just so people don't have to acknowledge that he has some bit of managerial know-how!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    You have to be joking! They were challenging for promotion to the Premiership when he left to take over as Ireland manager, had just knocked Liverpool out of the Cup and pushed Arsenal close (if not beaten them?) It was his successor who then took the team down that same season.

It's gas how the McCarthy-bashers can come up with the most ridiculous arguments to support the rubbish they spout (like the stat about Sunderland being sixth in the First - completely ignoring the games in hand they have. Or McCarthy's last seven games - missing a comprehensive hammering of a decent Finland side in Helsinki while missing some key players). Meanwhile Sunderland fans think he's a great manager. But they only see him every week - what do they know?

Ultimately, I think he was right to leave when he did as the media finally seemed to have gotten to him and his heart didn't seem to be in it any more. But to knock his achievements as Irish manager is ridiculous and probably comes from sycophantic tabloid readers more than anyone else.
    I don't read tabloids mate, more of a Guardian man myself, I'm quiet fond of the new minature Times too.
    I think if you check your facts you'll find that Millwall had just gone through a bad run of games and were languishing in mid-table, on the way towards the bottom when he left the sinking ship, in which he caused the leak.
    Also if you recall his tactics against Macedonia in Euro 2000 qualifying, not to mention the games against Russia and Switzerland in the recent qualifying campaign. Not what I'd call a good manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I don't read tabloids mate, more of a Guardian man myself, I'm quiet fond of the new minature Times too.

I think if you check your facts you'll find that Millwall had just gone through a bad run of games and were languishing in mid-table, on the way towards the bottom when he left the sinking ship, in which he caused the leak.
    Languishing in mid-table?!? They were fourth in the division when he left them to take over as Ireland manager. If that's languishing, then I'm the King of Sweden!

Take off the blinkers mate. McCarthy is a good manager who, like most, has learned his trade as he's gone along. He made some notable errors as Ireland manager, but as someone else pointed out, he's the second most successful manager we've ever had. You're allowed not to like the man, but his record speaks for itself. Deal with it.

PP

PS - Fond of both the Guardian and the Times? You must have some very broad political views...
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    they were 4th in the table when he agreed to join the republic..but were near relegation when he actually left........they were in freefall..he always said that he wished he had left them in better state..

I think he has done ok.....next season is the crunch for him as it will be his real first season with his team and players that he chose..

Same with Dennis Wise he has done well with millwall but I don't think that means he is a great manager

only time will tell...i wish the guy (McCarthy) luck but I do think when he left Ireland he had to go as the first two results showed that the team had no confidence and were looking pretty battered...

people can say what they like about Roy Keane but McCarthy's record without him is not good.....I am just trying to highlight the fact that you can make a case for both sides with what ever stats you choose to use.

I hope he does well and brings on the Irish lads like healy and Thornton ...
    Bring back the plank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast