Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Letter to RTE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Who says there was a journalist offering them paid copy to begin with? Even so, the money would be better spent on something else.
    6 or 7 journo's and reporters in the press box everyweek, plenty of people willing to send it copy if offered a few quid. Why would reporters send in their work to rte for free, all it takes in 10/15/20 euro.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    a feature each week on MNS of a 1st division team including interviews with the players/the club/the fans and showing highlights from their game that week would be very interesting for most viewers (me anyway!) and i cant imagine would break the RTE bank. Something like they did for the Week 1 Cork-Derry game on a weekly basis would give the First a shot in the arm.
    Something like the piece that they did when we were up in Derry would be great every week. MNS should seriously consider showing first division games on their show, right now the majority of clubs being shown are from the greater Dublin area which in some way could reflect a large proportion of MNS's audience.
    MNS are ignoring a large LOI audience with some well supported clubs in the first division like Cork, Derry and Shelbourne and this is the main reason why they should show goals at least from 1st division games.
    Last edited by sheao; 22/03/2010 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin
    Even so, the money would be better spent on something else.
    Like??

Apparantly, there was no tv game on Friday because it clashed with the Irish U-20 rugger buggers.

Sad state of affairs when junior egg-chasers get priority over senior football in this country. Not even Sky show junior rugby games.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    They should do something similar to what they did with UCD/Paul Corry tonight with a First Division club every week.
    Bray Wanderers: So good they were relegated twice (and still stayed up).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    6 or 7 journo's and reporters in the press box everyweek, plenty of people willing to send it copy if offered a few quid. Why would reporters send in their work to rte for free, all it takes in 10/15/20 euro.
    If they're there for the local media they'd seldom be allowed sell the story to a competing news source; not within the timeframe that'd be required for a match report, anyway. RTE could buy the original article alright, but then we're back to the issue of cost. We're talking about 6-10 games a week here, and 20+ rounds of matches. - the costs may be small, but they add up over a season.

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Like??

Apparantly, there was no tv game on Friday because it clashed with the Irish U-20 rugger buggers.

Sad state of affairs when junior egg-chasers get priority over senior football in this country. Not even Sky show junior rugby games.
    I dunno - new coffee machine? Granted, RTE news ain't the best, but it's perfectly reasonable that they'd choose to use their limited resources to cover the sports that are of interest to the greatest number of people.

And the U-20 match on Friday was a brilliant encounter - the Irish team really have something about them. I imagine the Rovers game on Sunday probably had decent figures considering most young people are out the door by 7.45 on a Friday night.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Who says there was a journalist offering them paid copy to begin with?
    If they're there for the local media they'd seldom be allowed sell the story to a competing news source; not within the timeframe that'd be required for a match report, anyway. RTE could buy the original article alright, but then we're back to the issue of cost.
    Seems to me what you're doing there is surmising. Btid, on the other hand, actually knows how it works down here.
    In the press box at the RSC every matchnight there are a number of journalists who write for the local papers AND ring in updates to the likes of Aertel AND freelance for the nationals, who rarely, if ever, send their own people down.
    They write and post copy within minutes of the game being over (obviously, as per RTE's response to the letter, someone was later than usual after the Derry game) to the various media outlets, and compose longer reports for the local papers later. There's no copyright on the facts of course, just on the reports, which would be substantially different in format and style.
    I would be very surprised if it's any different at other provincial grounds, but I won't surmise.
    Last edited by stann; 23/03/2010 at 2:34 AM.
    more bass

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well there's no copyright on the facts, but my own experience as a freelance is that if a newspaper or magazine has arranges for you to attend an event, they require some sort of exclusivity in your reporting. If the Waterford Gazette arranged a press pass for me to attend the next home match, I imagine they'd be a bit miffed if I sold the story to RTE and then got around to their story later. I am prepared to be proven wrong - I haven't worked in sport reporting so that could well be the case.

Either way, my main point was that it costs money to buy reports of First Division matches and it's not necessarily in RTE's interest to pay for those reports, especially when there appears to be amateurs willing to do it for free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Not sure thatts the case Charles. I know a couple of free lancer and they often seel same report to a few outlets. Paul Buttner, for example, could sell to RTE, IT and the Sun with only a minimum of changes

As they all have season long press passes, they wouldn't have to arrange anything ona match by match basis
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You can read some remarkably similar, uncredited, LoI match reports if you go through all the daily papers of a Saturday. I'd imagine the same author is responsible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I can appreciate the general position of the stand being made, but jesus lads, pick your battles!

Arguing for more coverage of the First Division based on Friday night's match is akin to supporters of public nudity parading Mary Harney naked down O'Connell Street to support their cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    A serious bluffin' for madblaa!
    Sporting F*ck All!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Nah, you've all made your points, most of them fair, a lot of them making excuses for the shabby RTE, some, pointing out the first division isn't worth a toss, my point is made, I have nothing left to say without repeating myself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234