Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letter to RTE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Are you for real? BBC's TV sport budget is bout 10 times the budget for the entire RTE. Ridiculous comparing the two

I'll ay it for the umpteenth time. RTE were corced to show the league, they have limited resources, and its far better to have every premier game covered than anything else. They've shown in the past that they're willing to cover nig news in the first, but its not a priotity, because, frankly, its the second tier of LOI football.
    The BBC's budget is greater than RTE's but then again, more sports have to get their slice of the pie. BBC have recently announced the closing down of stations, and cutting of website costs, and have announced job losses in the recent past. They have budget restrictions, and have no UK advertising revenue to call on. We have 11 top 2 division games. RTE have the exclusive LOI highlights package, and have studios all over the country, so there's no valid reason why only 5 games can be featured every week. It's not the commercial interest that is the issue, it's the principle. If you're in the league, you earn the right to have your game shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin
    League 2 attendances are higher than in the LOI, so the games are of more interest, and are usually filmed by local news/television. The BBC doesn't actually send people around to every game of its own volition, but I'm sure if local stations in Cork and Waterford could provide good footage MNS would broadcast it.
    I accept that, but at least they show 40 games on a Saturday night, not merely 5, 3 days after they're played.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    The BBC's budget is greater than RTE's but then again, more sports have to get their slice of the pie. BBC have recently announced the closing down of stations, and cutting of website costs, and have announced job losses in the recent past. They have budget restrictions, and have no UK advertising revenue to call on. We have 11 top 2 division games. RTE have the exclusive LOI highlights package, and have studios all over the country, so there's no valid reason why only 5 games can be featured every week. It's not the commercial interest that is the issue, it's the principle. If you're in the league, you earn the right to have your game shown.
    Again, are you for real? Its like you don't even read what others post

The BBC is the largest broadcasting corporation in the world. STOP comparing it to RTE.

YOu believe that clubs have earned the right to be shown on TV? Sheesh....
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    There are economies of scale to consider - the BBC can compile dozens of highlights packages and co-ordinate all of this coverage, primarily because they have people and equipment in place that are doing it anyway. RTE could probably do the same for the Irish leagues, but it would be a greater strain on resources.

You also have to consider that a great many of English lower league games are filmed for local news and even local TV because there is a market to see them, and that the club itself often films the games in a reasonably professional manner. The BBC can just buy the raw tape and condense it into a highlights package. Unless Derry games are being shown on Derry TV, Cork games are being shown on Cork local TV and so on, RTE will have a difficult time sourcing footage of lower league games. I mean Mervue United get, what, 300 at an average game - unless one of those people owns a TV studio, it's just not happening.

I accept that, but at least they show 40 games on a Saturday night, not merely 5, 3 days after they're played.
    Well that's a scheduling issue. The Football League is comfortable with the graveyard shift after Match of the Day - the LOI could probably negotiate a slot after Premier Soccer Saturday, but my guess is that they rather like having their own hour-long show on Monday evening. And it's a very good show considering the difficulties they often face getting proper tape of Premier Division games.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Have to say MNS isn't bad. My main beef with RTE would be the champions league coverage of LoI teams.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't have to show gratitude towards RTE, I never will. Their arrogence is astounding, I have a ligitimate complaint and although my letter was a bit snotty it did contain facts, ie, biased towards Dublin, only too happy to cover Cork/Derry's woes etc. My licence fee is more than gratitude enough, if they don't have the humility to show a bit of politness, it only backs up my opinion of them. I'm only one voice who sent in a letter, fair enough, I wasn't expecting an answer and I'm still not satisfied with the reply. It's nonsence that they have to rely on biased opinions of what are essentially fans, and it's downright lazy, considering noone gets paid to send them in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Slightly off topic but...

I think that main problem is the sponsers themselves rather than RTE, but I still think RTE could do much better in regard to promoting the league, like doing 10-15 second promos of what game they are showing on the Friday, is virtually all they do, I do not often see the ads on at the prime TV times about 7-10, it always seems to be 11 onwards from I when see them.

I can see many avenues that sponsors can take to promote the league but if sponsors like Newstalk are about, you will achieve nothing. You ask any general fan, do you know that Newstalk sponsers the league of ireland, most likely people will say no, why sponsor a league, when you get nothing out of for yourself ?, the point of sponsoring is to promote both parties, when you think of Newstalk, you think of the LOI etc. Again with Newstalk, whenever their TV ads are on, there is no mention of their relationship with the LOI, a simple sentence like, ''Newstalk are proud sponsors of the LOI, come out, support your local team''. Other sponsors like Ford, Eircom and The Star even, never seem to do this. EA Sports have done something even if it is minor in regard to adding LOI teams into the game, but I feel the sponsors have to be in partnership with the league, they have to promote each other, before any potential new fan takes notice.

Also, sponsors of clubs could do likewise, like Shelbourne and Cabs2000, I seen an ad about a month ago for Cabs2000 and they mention their sponsership with Shelbourne, which is great to see, I hope that others will follow. For example, Hunky Dorys could create claret and blue crisp packet with Drogs logo on it, etc.

Its not really that hard, I just feel the sponsors are the key to getting the publics interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    mns had a window to show highlights of 1st division games last monday(only 3 top leauge games on),instead they "filled" with pointless interviews.i wonder that if even if the 1div coverage was sent to them on high spec if they would show it??
    we(dundalk) suffered that for a long time when we were in that graveyard.
    and apart from the local rags you wont get any reports from the national newspapers either.
    it is a fact of life in the bottem tier unfournatley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    .....For example, Hunky Dorys could create claret and blue crisp packet with Drogs logo on it, etc.....
    Never eating Hunky Dorys again

It is a good idea, I know that 3 are doing a kind of branding thing locally with us. I think it is a runner to a certain extent as a number of the league's club sponsors are locally based - I don't know though what level of support the local fans give the local sponsors above and beyond the usual. Has any research could be done on the matter? I know some sponsors do a whole deal thing based on mentioning the club or presenting a match ticket or golden goal ticket.

More importantly though, what flavour would it the Drogs Crisps be? Given the colours, beetroot flavour?
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Claret and Cashel Blue flavour surely?
    Cheese and wine flavoured crisps, how sophisticated... up yours ambassador!!
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madblaa View Post
    I don't have to show gratitude towards RTE, I never will.
    , [/quote]
    You asked a question, they answered it. That you didn't like the answer shouldn't mean that you shouldn't be thanking them for a reply.

Their arrogence is astounding
    THEIR arrogance? You're the one claiming Waterford deserve to be on TV….

I have a ligitimate complaint and although my letter was a bit snotty it did contain facts, ie, biased towards Dublin,
    That’s not a fact

My licence fee is more than gratitude enough, if they don't have the humility to show a bit of politness
    I thought the letter was polite.

The rest of your rant is ridiculous. You had a complaint, it was answered.
    ---

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I would have no problem with 1st div highlights being shown,but i do think its laughable for the clubs down there to demand it.The standard is sh*te(as a Dundalk fan i should know).And its funny how i dont recall Cork/Waterford fans calling for it when they were in the premier.

We should be happy that RTE are giving us any coverage at all considering the love they have for the EPL.The facebook petitions are laughable IMO.The bottom line is that outside of the 1st division itself,there is very little interest in it.
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The vast majority of what you say is equally applicable to the premier division.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The vast majority of what you say is equally applicable to the premier division.
    Not equally, slightly less so.

Premier maintains slightly more general appeal (probably about 3% compared to 1% for the first), and is slightly less ****e standard wise

BTW I've no problem with the first being featured/shown but I think its ridiculous to demand the same level of attention as the premier. Doesn't happen in any league in the world
    ---

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Not really.
    First Division = Sh!te
    Premier Division = A little better than Sh1te.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    I would have no problem with 1st div highlights being shown,but i do think its laughable for the clubs down there to demand it.The standard is sh*te(as a Dundalk fan i should know).And its funny how i dont recall Cork/Waterford fans calling for it when they were in the premier.

We should be happy that RTE are giving us any coverage at all considering the love they have for the EPL.The facebook petitions are laughable IMO.The bottom line is that outside of the 1st division itself,there is very little interest in it.
    I can't speak for Cork, but in Waterford's case MNS didn't exist last time we were in the Premier, so that's probably one reason why you'll not recall having heard it from us.
    However, and I have to say personally I don't agree with a lot of the sentiment of his letter, nor, especially, the tone of it, in fairness to madblaa (the OP) his complaint was never about MNS or lack of highlights, it was about a perceived lack of match reporting on Aertel and RTE.ie.
    Last edited by stann; 22/03/2010 at 11:11 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Really? Find it hard to believe that neither Cork or Derry didn't bother sending anything in. As I said, this league is between Us, Derry, Shels and possibly Cork, our 2 games, as well as Derry vs. Cork were the biggest, no mention!
    Really? Cork and Derry are that good? Cant see beyond Waterford for top spot but the rest is wide open and we'll have a say in it for sure.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Premier Division football is nothing but a Dublin borefest this year
    Its not the fault of the many clubs in Dubin that did keep their finances in order to permit them entry into the Premier Division.
    Granted some do seem to have some shakey finances but sure time will tell there as it did with Cork and Derry.
    As for it being a borefest? Well for travelling to away games believe me its tedious going to the pale every other week but as for quality its far superior to the First Division.
    how's Sligo's travelling expenses holding out,
    Not to bad, if you havent noticed we actually made a 6 figure profit last season, not too shabby.
    or are they reinvesting in ground staff "organisation" you have there!?!?!?!
    No I think they are reinvesting it in maintaining PREMIER DIVISION FOOTBALL here.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    It's nonsence that they have to rely on biased opinions of what are essentially fans, and it's downright lazy, considering noone gets paid to send them in.
    They're not relying on 1st Div clubs to send them in reports - they don't particularly care.

The clubs care - and if they want match reports published on Aertel / rte.ie then they have the opportunity to do it themselves.

Far from ideal - but that the system - so it's up to the clubs to make the best of it.
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The BBC doesn't actually send people around to every game of its own volition
    I'd say it does, if not centrally, through their regional services (which aren't stand alone groups a la ITV used to be)

Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    BBC have recently announced the closing down of stations, and cutting of website costs, and have announced job losses in the recent past.
    The closing of stations and cutting of the website was to do with competition issues, not cost afaik.

I don't mind the first not getting as much as the premier, but the reality is it gets nothing more than a passing mention. As has been mentioned, even when there's setanta games on, they see this as a chance to cut costs, rather than an opportunity to cover games in the first (and this year any game involving Cork or Derry will justify it on attendance/ interest).

I'm not sure why if first division fans aren't that arsed with MNS the way it is, why people think that the floating punter with no interest is going to be attracted just because of premier highlights only. Most of it is hasbeens talking crap not action of any kind anyway.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    As far as I can remember, nearly all Harps First Division games a few years ago featured on TV3's Eircom League weekly because Harps paid to have the game recorded and had edited highlights of the games sent by courier to TV3 on a Monday morning.

I know the same situation was mentioned (not by Harps) to RTE when MNS started, but RTE said that when they weren't recording the game themselves, they didn't feel that "amateur" recordings would be up to the high quality required to show on RTE.

I'm not one of those who is calling for RTE to show wall-to-wall coverage of the First Division, or indeed looking for goals from every First Division games every week. However, I do think there is room in their MNS programme to show the goals (would take less than 60 seconds) from the top First Division game every week. Remember, the season before last, RTE were able to fit 6 Premier Division games into their programme each week as the Premier had a 12 team league.

Aertel or the RTE website don't do previews of the First Division games at all, despite First Division clubs sending out team news / quotes from managers / etc. on a weekly basis. RTE don't even mention that First Division games are taking place on the sports news segiments on a Friday/Saturday. Last Saturday night on RTE 9.00 TV news, they gave a latest score from the Sligo/Galway game, but didn't even mention that Athlone were playing Cork. On the 8.00pm/9.00pm/10.00pm sports news on 2fm on a Friday night, they just give updates from the Premier Division - they don't even mention that there are First Division games taking place. Same happens all day on a Friday when they mention games taking place in the League - the League to them is the Premier, the First doesn't exist. Yet, results from all four Divisions of the GAA National Football and National Hurling Leagues are covered on RTE News on TV and Radio. Are you telling me that there is more people really interested that Leitrim beat London in a Division Four match in Carrick-on-Shannon than there is in how Waterford did against Derry in the Airtricity First Division?

It's not just RTE to be fair. Read some of the national newspapers at the weekend, and not only will you not get a First Division match preview / match report, you won't even get a mention that there is such a thing as the First Division. Yet, the FAI will insist that all clubs MUST submit team news to all national media the day before a game, yet very, very few of them even use it. The Irish Mirror is one exception.

Finally, as I said, I'm not looking for anything near the amount of coverage for the First Division that RTE gives to the Premier Division (which is actually decent when you look at Live TV, MNS, Website, Radio coverage). However, a little mention that there is First Division games each week would be nice from our national broadcaster.
    Up the Harps!!

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast