Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Turner - Which Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Were people not complaining about the lack of moderation?
    That's what happens when Sligoman goes away for a few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the rubbish section not the support section??
    Nah, everyone who's posted here needs help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the rubbish section not the support section??
    Nope, complaints were levelled and people are entitled to their opinion. They're also entitled to use the post reporting facility. When they don't, and just bitch and whine aimlessly with no backup for their complaints, they generally get ignored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    isnt the principle though that you shouldnt have to report a moderators post?

Moderators should not have as heavily invested opinions as regular posters or alternatively, if they do, they should have the ability to keep quiet about them (within reason). PS's posts are often inflammatory or dismissive and arrogant. We are told we should report posts but as i said earlier why would i report a post to the person who posted it? Theres no incentive there.

Overall i think the moderating has, elsewhere in the site, been far more relaxed recently than it was when i joined and i think that is a good thing and to an extent it is the same in the LOI forum but there are definitely double standards in play from PS regarding a number of issues/clubs (not just the eternally persecuted Bohs fans) and i think that is clear from an objective reading of his posts. I was surprised by the number of posters who actually backed up my post the other day which shows me that there must be something in it and its not just Bohemian oversensitivity.

Moderators are and should be held to a higher standard, objectivity is the crucial element of their role and that is something that is clearly lacking at times from Pineapple Stu.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

Moderators should not have as heavily invested opinions as regular posters or alternatively, if they do, they should have the ability to keep quiet about them
    But then nobody would ever become a mod. People join this site (and others like them) to engage in debate, so why should a moderator be robbed of this?

I'm not saying that they should step out of line in anyway but they should absolutely be allowed express their opinion on whatever the hell they like (just like everyone else)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    isnt the principle though that you shouldnt have to report a moderators post?
    In an ideal world, yes. This isn't an ideal world. People have flaws, and make mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    But then nobody would ever become a mod. People join this site (and others like them) to engage in debate, so why should a moderator be robbed of this?

I'm not saying that they should step out of line in anyway but they should absolutely be allowed express their opinion on whatever the hell they like (just like everyone else)
    firstly i did say "within reason" - i wouldnt expect absolute silence. But look at the way other mods here conduct themselves - MariborKev, Pauro76, yourself, Sligoman. They moderate well but contribute appropriately to discussion aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    In an ideal world, yes. This isn't an ideal world. People have flaws, and make mistakes.
    fair enough, i accept that. But then, i report a post and its a moderators post, i cant expect that the complaint will even be considered, therefore i just let it go. The amount of stuff that BYTCWD posted that was just absolute lies and WUM rubbish (and agreed to by PS) that was left on the MB after i had reported the posts. Guess what - he has been banned now but at that time i reported his posts and nothing was done about them because of the absolute lack of objectivity. By the same token LukeO was banned for answering the accusations and maybe getting a bit frustrated in the process. Its a bit ridiculous looking back at it and certainly left a sour taste in my mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    SkStu, neither of those people are mods, I fail to see the relevance. Complaints about mods are weighted the same as everyone else. The only difference is that most complaints about mods are quite simply retaliatory. LukeO was banned for breaking the rules, simple as. They're not complicated rules.

SlioBrewer, I reject hypothesis number 1, and await evidence of hypothesis number 2 with bated breath.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    A couple of comments in response to SkStu, if I may.

There are in effect four mods of the LoI forum - me, Pauro, Maribor and dahamsta. Reporting a post creates a new thread in the moderator forum which all of us - including mods of other forums - can view and discuss. Plenty of moderators' posts have been reported before. You suggested that -
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu
    We are told we should report posts but as i said earlier why would i report a post to the person who posted it?
    This is clearly untrue. And because there are four moderators in the LoI forum, you can't accuse me - or any of the others - of single-mindedly and subjectively moderating the forum. There's nothing stopping Maribor from infracting BYCTWD even if I think it's funny that he's winding you all up, for example. If none of us take any action on a reported post, then I think you have to accept the possibility that we all thought no action was needed.

You've PMed me before with complaints on two issues in particular - BYCTWD and the whole thread on Rovers reporting Bohs. Both these issues were discussed in the mod forum. It was agreed that on the first, the league is a small place, and people know stuff that isn't necessarily on the internet. In that context, we're not going to enforce a blanket ban on people posting what they've heard through their clubs. Anything blatantly trouble-making (such as an accusation BYCTWD made that Bohs paid off the FAI to ensure Cork's players were paid when they were threatening to strike against Rovers) was deleted and infracted. BYCTWD also received a number of infractions for posting in an inflammatory manner. However, for suggesting, for example, that Chris Turner was going to sign for Shamrock Rovers because Sligo fecked up, there was no infraction. Hindsight has supported some of those decisions; he's gotten banned for his other posts.

On the second point, the moderators are not here to suppress talk against any one club. In fact, we actively encourage discussion about all clubs. It's one of the rules of the main forum that we're all allowed to discuss each others' clubs. What happened on the "Rovers report Bohs" thread was that Bohs fans almost immediately started attacking the post and not the poster (see, for example, posts 7, 9 and 15 from the first page alone). Fans from almost every other club commented on how Bohs fans were clearly dodging the issues. Several Bohs fans reported posts from that thread, but ultimately, there's nothing wrong with most of it. It's unfortunate that it's highlighting serious issues in Dalymount, but that's not a reason to close a thread.

The post to which you took exception in the Turner thread, again, was a joke. It was highlighting the flaw with the Sligo fan's view that the FAI were naturally shafting their club, and i was trying to bring in a few other implausible conspiracy theories to show that. A Bohs poster - Quadruple? - today posted a picture of the UCD club dinner showing a load of empty tables. That was probably trying to have a dig at UCD whereas I genuinely wasn't trying to have a dig at Bohs, but it was a joke, so I didn't start having a go at him. I genuinely think some Bohs fans are far too quick to get wound up over the slightest criticism of their club.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    look, if youre going to defend your moderating as you have and have that defence approved by your "boss", im not going to take this any further. Clearly it is pointless. Ill just try and ignore it when i see it.

I have tried to outline where my problem lies with regards to your moderating. Im not the only one who feels this way as is evidenced in this thread. When it comes to issues regarding Bohemians and certain other issues/clubs i think your objectivity becomes slightly more elastic - obviously other posters, not just Bohs, feel the same. Simply put, As a moderator i think you have a duty to watch what you say and how you say it as otherwise you leave yourself open to accusations such as those levelled in this thread.

by the way, i think Quadruple(1928?) is a Sligo fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Yes, I approve. It was well thought out, detailed, and addresses all of your points. Your response is the opposite. Are you seeing a pattern here?

I might add that there are 5.7k members on Foot.ie, 1.2k of whom have logged on this month. 600+ posts a day. 45k visitors, 200k visits, 1.5m page views.

Statistically, the 34 posts in this thread don't count for a lot. Realistically, they count for less, since many of them are from the same posters, many of whom in turn are disgruntled because they've received infractions for their documented rulebreaking. That included your good self with no less than 11 infractions.

Most people are booted on their tenth. Yet you're still here despite this inane waste of time and energy. You might want to do a bit more work on your thesis. It isn't very good.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I might add that personally, if I'm going to have accusations of bias and what have you levied against me, the least I think I can expect is a reply to the points in my post rather than a blanket dismissal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Blanket dismissals are usually my area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Nope, complaints were levelled and people are entitled to their opinion. They're also entitled to use the post reporting facility. When they don't, and just bitch and whine aimlessly with no backup for their complaints, they generally get ignored.
    all i am doing is experessing my opinion which you have said is acceptable above. I am not trying to waste anyones time or energy and thought that it was a valid topic for discussion. I dont think i am stepping out of line by saying what i have and i have tried to express it rationally and without annoying you or anyone else. I am not trying to rewrite the rules of moderating (nor am i writing a thesis), i am simply suggesting that PS should be more objective on certain issues. As i have said before, i will ignore any future examples of what i consider poor moderating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Oh and back when I was a supermod, I was given infractions, temporary demotion, permanent demotions. Pretty much everything bar a ban

I still maintain I didn't deserve one of them but mods can be sanctioned
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I might add that personally, if I'm going to have accusations of bias and what have you levied against me, the least I think I can expect is a reply to the points in my post rather than a blanket dismissal.
    it wasnt intended as a blanket dismissal, im just not sure what i am supposed to say to the post. Youre telling me about foot.ie procedures for reported posts and thats fine, i acknowledge that. I also acknowledged that your initial post was a joke earlier in this debate. None of it changes my feelings on your moderation but im afraid that if i keep saying the same thing over and over again i will get banned. Adam has already pointed out that i am walking a fine line so, for my sake (as i do enjoy this site immensely), i think i need to drop it now. Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    i am simply suggesting that PS should be more objective on certain issues. As i have said before, i will ignore any future examples of what i consider poor moderating.
    Incidentally, can you link an example or two in? If you just make general points without pointing to instances, what can I do to change? That's just a general whine rather than constructive criticism.

(And again, this is where the report post function comes in).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Incidentally, can you link an example or two in? If you just make general points without pointing to instances, what can I do to change? That's just a general whine rather than constructive criticism.

(And again, this is where the report post function comes in).
    noted - i will do so in future to help you change.
    Last edited by SkStu; 19/03/2010 at 4:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    all i am doing is experessing my opinion which you have said is acceptable above.
    I have, and you are. As am I, and as is pineapple stu. He expressed his opinion by rebutting your opinion - roundly (in my opinion) - yet rather than address that, you continue to throw around random, undefined sentences that frankly don't make a whole lot of sense at this point. Which is why, although you may not be...

trying to waste anyones time or energy
    ...in point of fact you are. Time which is important to me. Is it not important to you? Do you not have anything better to do than... this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast