Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dermot Keely v Roddy Collins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts

Dermot Keely v Roddy Collins

Sorry for starting a new thread on this but the ongoing row between these guys is bloody hilarious and their columns in the National papers every week have me in stiches.

Roddy Collins has constant digs at Keely about his role in the LMA and how in England things are so much different and better. I don't have his article in front of me so can't remember any of the quotes.
    Keely is in todays paper having a go back at his "favourite plasterer" asking why is he so concerned about the LMA here when, he hasn't managed a side in a competitive game since Nov 2005. He also has a dig about how Roddy calls for loyalty saying "although he still managed to fit in a laughable lecture on Loyalty. Does Malta have a League Managers Association?"

It's great reading to be honest, not usually a Keely fan but in this instance I find him brilliant. A real fundraiser for Shels perhaps? Get those two into a ring, I'd pay to see that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Sorry for starting a new thread on this but the ongoing row between these guys is bloody hilarious and their columns in the National papers every week have me in stiches.

Roddy Collins has constant digs at Keely about his role in the LMA and how in England things are so much different and better. I don't have his article in front of me so can't remember any of the quotes.
    Keely is in todays paper having a go back at his "favourite plasterer" asking why is he so concerned about the LMA here when, he hasn't managed a side in a competitive game since Nov 2005. He also has a dig about how Roddy calls for loyalty saying "although he still managed to fit in a laughable lecture on Loyalty. Does Malta have a League Managers Association?"

It's great reading to be honest, not usually a Keely fan but in this instance I find him brilliant. A real fundraiser for Shels perhaps? Get those two into a ring, I'd pay to see that
    Long standing "issues" between the two going back to at least 2000/2001 season when Roddy (then Bohs manager) had some very strong views on Shels style of play, then managed by dermo (and our closest rivals for the League). Song Roddy sang the night we won the league (after much liquid refreshment) in dalymount did not help !
    Two strong (ie mad) personalities, but like or loathe their views they are always entertaining

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Nice watching this as an outsider. Keely and Dolan used to trade blows in their columns back in the day. SOme embaressing stuff when its your club

Only pick up bits & pieces that are posted on internet, but seems like standard Roddy fare.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I have to say they sound like great reads. I'm liking Keely's referces to loyalty and an LMA in the Maltese league. If anybody has any links i'm sure they would be worth a read and a chuckle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Song Roddy sang the night we won the league (after much liquid refreshment) in dalymount did not help !
    Any idea what song that was?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    SOme embaressing stuff when its your club
    Yeah it can be quite annoying. Keely should just leave it be. He doesn't need to write articles in the paper before people realise Roddy is a clown.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    No shock here in regards to Roddy, he is well known for spouting nonsense from time to time (Or as we call them weekdays)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's all a bit rich coming from Roddy. He talks about loyalty yet he walked out on Dublin City and then walked out of the job in Malta. I can't see the guys getting a manager's position at a Premier League club.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thu Mar 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Keely column
    RODDY'S WAFFLE WAS OUT OF ORDER

RODDY COLLINS obviously has a terrible memory if he is lecturing players on loyalty.

Having left Maltese club Floriana mid-season, my favourite plasterer was mad to take on the Cork City manager's job in the first place as it was clear that all wasn't right with the club.

What happened to City is a great shame. I know a few of the lads, blokes like Greg O'Halloran, who agreed contracts with the club that weren't worth the paper they were written on.

The players who were there last season were brilliant in the circumstances.

It can't have been easy to qualify for Europe when you're not getting paid, as well as all the other madness that went on behind the scenes.

When Dan Murray left for Shamrock Rovers last month, my first reaction was why the hell did he wait so long? He hadn't been paid in months!

I don't believe there is real loyalty in professional sport — we go where the money is and do our work. We're not the GAA, who play for the parish, we do our best work for whoever wants us.

But the lads at City had gone above and beyond the call of duty last year, so for Roddy to question their loyalty was outrageous.

And maybe he is forgetting about how he walked out on Dublin City in 2004, when he showed exactly what he thought of loyalty.

Ronan 'Rocky' Seery is a good friend of mine and he told me that in the September of that year, Dublin City were bottom of the table and had run out of money.

Rocky spoke to Roddy and told me that he felt that he should just wind the club up, but he felt that he had been persuaded by Roddy to keep it going. He put '200,000 of his own money in to see out the season.

With four games to go, they had a chance to stay up if they overtook Shamrock Rovers.

And what did Roddy do? He quit on the day of a match to take over at Rovers.

I took charge of Dublin City for their four remaining games and I saw how badly Roddy's defection affected Rocky. He could have saved himself a lot of money and a lot of hassle but kept Roddy's team on the road.

What loyalty did Roddy show back then?
    Today -
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Keely column
    Collins papers cracks

MY FAVOURITE plasterer is, it seems, feeling a little unloved.

I was told Roddy Collins had a pop at me on Sunday but, despite being on a bus with 30 people to Shelbourne's game against Wexford Youths, nobody had bought that paper.

But I am reliably informed that he told me I should concentrate on my role with the League Managers' Association (LMA) rather than slagging him off in 'an English rag'.

Roddy, Roddy, Roddy, you make this all too easy. Check out the nationality of the co-owners of the publication for which you write.

Anyhow, I agree that I haven't been able to devote as much time to the LMA as I would have liked. But even if I had, ringing Roddy to see if he was OK would have been way down my list of priorities.
    I took on the role as chairman when I was out of football.

But between being manager of Shelbourne and my teaching post, it's hard to find the time to give it the attention it deserves. Still, I am proud of the fire-fighting service I have been able to offer, helping at least three managers obtain money they were owed by clubs.

And one thing puzzles me — why is the LMA of any concern to Roddy? He hasn't managed a club for a competitive game in this country since November 2005.

Blink and you would have missed his time with Cork City, although he still managed to fit in a laughable lecture on loyalty.

Does Malta have a League Managers' Association?
    Last edited by LukeO; 18/03/2010 at 5:14 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ah i love there fighting its some craic ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    They should both shut the **** up.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Roddys weekly column in the Star - "Poor me. Why will nobody in this country give me a job ? I won the double you know." How many different ways are there to keep saying the same thing ? Pathetic at this stage really. No time for Keely either, I don't think he has much class. (mind you, his "plasterer" jibes are quite amusing.)
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Ive got lots of time for Keely and like many of his ex pupils only fond memories of him as a teacher,As a manager his teams have never lacked motivation or commitment,as a player he was horrible to play against and was one of my first heroes in the green and white hoops,as for having no class that would depend on your definition,a true league of Ireland man and a proper gent to anyone who knows him,as for Roddy the complete opposite a stain on the cloth of Irish football.Dermos spat with Roddy is typical of the man pure divilment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Where does Keely teach?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Where does Keely teach?
    School of hard knocks

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    its a foot.ie thread but with a 4 day delay on replies.
    5-0

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts

Why??
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Where does Keely teach?
    De La Salle Churchtown

Maths Teacher
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Why??
    Just curious, I think I remember hearing it was De La Salle Churchtown which is just down the end of the road from me.

Edit: thanks Partysaint

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Keeley walked out on Harps! and I'm sure many others!( I wish I could add a smiley with a wink)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast