Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Adam Rooney

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I guess that doesn't really explain that stat about the National League outpaying SPL clubs in many cases -- does the National League have a TV deal?
    Think they have / had something with BT

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    The main issue for the Scottish top flight right now is probably the lack of quality TV money since the collapse of Setanta. The leagues in Poland, Denmark, Norway, etc., have better TV rights deals.

I guess that doesn't really explain that stat about the National League outpaying SPL clubs in many cases -- does the National League have a TV deal? I imagine they get a certain amount from Cup games at least -- even a few cup games on TV could be more than a lower half SPL team might get in a year up in Scotland.
    Is it time for a Celtic league ? Scotland , Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland .

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Think they have / had something with BT
    They do indeed, renewed last March. When I had access to those channels I used to happen upon those games occasionally, think they aired one a week.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is it time for a Celtic league ? Scotland , Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland .
    I think this would be a very good idea. A combined league would have the potential to bring in bigger crowds, get better TV deals. More money in the game would inevitably lead to more investment in youth teams -- and it would reduce the need for young Irish players to go to Britain to further their careers.

But I suspect the traditionalists would never have it.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Would it be allowed by UEFA though? If UEFA start allowing x-border leagues - no matter how sensible logistically/culturally/economically - it'd set a precedent for larger countries. Once they do that the biggest European clubs will argue for their own x-border league which would de facto become the Champions League, depriving UEFA of their biggest (or second biggest) asset. The big clubs have lobbied for a breakaway league before but UEFA has fended them off, largely by giving them more money and more games I think.

The whole fabric of European football could change because the income from the Champions League would then be spent outside the elite clubs. If Europe's elite clubs ran their own competition it'd be unlikely that there'd be any downstream distribution of income. The rugby 6 Nations don't pay anything to the rest of European rugby and I think little or no money from the two main club competitions in European rugby goes downstream either. Football would hardly think any differently.

I think something must be done to bring peripheral teams and countries closer to the core. My own preference would probably be for the Europa League to be regionalised with regional winners going into a pan-Euroopean last 16 or last 8. NW Europe, Southern Europe, Central Europe, Eastern Europe. Exact format TBC but you get the gist...

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    'There are a lot of people saying I went for money. It's got nothing to do with it' http://the42.ie/4147902

Interview with Rooney where he highlights his motives for going to Salford. He mentions he grew up a Manchester United fan and wants to be part of what Salford are doing. I do, however, assume that money was a factor.

In a lot of these retrospective career interviews with Irish players there's a common trend of being signed by one manager before the manager moves on and the player is out of favour. In this piece, it seems to me that Rooney has plenty excuses for his time in England not working out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Off the mark for Salford: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45153363 - Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes said he gave Aberdeen "brilliant value" with 88 goals in four and a half years: https://www.bbc.com/sport/scotland/44897694

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567