Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sammy Morrow: Betting case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    3/ Betfair were concerned about Mcglynn's betting pattern
    really? Haven't heard any mention of this? They'd only be concerned if he was betting 6 figures regularly, and never losing
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    really? Haven't heard any mention of this? They'd only be concerned if he was betting 6 figures regularly, and never losing
    Well by reporting him to the FAI i would call that pretty concerned.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Again, how do you know this? Betfair would not know his occupation.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    1/ Morrow bet on Derry games.
    Obviously. Common knowledge at this stage.
    2/ McGlynn used the same computer as Morrow for a number of bets.
    How do we know this?
    How do we know this?
    4/ McGlynn has admitted to breaking rules by betting on 4 different matches.
    Ive never said otherwise.

You and many others are extremely naive to think that that is all McGlynn done, its simply all he as admitted to. It's well known that McGlynn likes a bet, his statement alone suggests he only ever bet on 4 loi games? Thats sheer madness in itself
    Sure, it may be naive but if there is more to it than that, then it will come out. Otherwise youre just speculating.

What really is madness is the thought that Morrow, Dempsey and McGlynn were the only players to have bet on LOI football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    From today's Irish Daily Mail

McGlynn was identified, along with a third person also with Derry City at the time but not a player, because they used the same computer to place bets as shamed serial gambler Sammy Morrow, who left Derry at the end of last season.

Betfair, who passed on information to the FAI about Morrow's extensive gambling, spotted that the same internet provider address was being used by McGlynn.
    MD

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Wrong. So far what we know is,
    1/ Morrow bet on Derry games.
    2/ McGlynn used the same computer as Morrow for a number of bets.
    4/ McGlynn has admitted to breaking rules by betting on 4 different matches.

You and many others are extremely naive to think that that is all McGlynn done, its simply all he as admitted to. It's well known that McGlynn likes a bet, his statement alone suggests he only ever bet on 4 loi games? Thats sheer madness in itself
    McGlynn must know or have been told that Betfair would have an account history of all his bets. All the FAI have to do is get a copy of this & go through it to see what he backed. Admitting he backed 4 games is not madness when it's so easy to prove/disprove.

So betfair reported him because it's the same IP address not because of betting patterns.
    Last edited by wexfordned; 24/03/2010 at 3:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    The argument is over whether the rule applies to all matches within a competition (which I think it does) or whether its specifically applies to matches his club were involved in (which I assume Bohs fans are arguing)
    im absolutely NOT making that argument. It is quite clear that McGlynn broke the law of the game. Im trying to put his offence into perspective compared to Morrows or Dempseys as to why a similar ban/fine to Dempseys might be more approriate than Morrows (based on what he has said).

I should point out, I've no real problem with players betting on LOI games they're not playing in (regardless of who they play for, and who they bet on). Others can have their own morality thresholds higher.
    Me neither.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Whoa there fellah. Thats a massive, massive difference from
    Betfair were concerned about Mcglynn's betting pattern
    and
    Well by reporting him to the FAI i would call that pretty concerned.
    to

Betfair, who passed on information to the FAI about Morrow's extensive gambling, spotted that the same internet provider address was being used by McGlynn.[/I]
    Thats simply that the FAI asked for info on Morrow, and part of that info was that another user was using the same IP address.

No need to get ahead of yourself as regards what McGlynn has or hasn't done
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

No need to get ahead of yourself as regards what McGlynn has or hasn't done
    I don't think there is a difference. No matter what the reason, Betfair reported McGlynn to the FAI, therefore they were concerned.

I'm not getting ahead of myself with anything. I simply stated the facts as they have come out.

While I have no proof as to how much more McGlynn did or didn't do, I think the facts suggest that there is a fair possibility that there might be more to this, and this isn't simply about throwing 50 quid on Kildare to win.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I don't think there is a difference. No matter what the reason, Betfair reported McGlynn to the FAI, therefore they were concerned.

I'm not getting ahead of myself with anything. I simply stated the facts as they have come out.
    But there not the facts, are they? They were not concerned about McGlynn until they investigated Morrow, and they didn't report him to the FAI. The provided more info on Morrow's case. Some of which lead to McGlynn.

McGlynn has stated he made 4 bets using betfair. Every transaction is traceable. Why would he announce the 4 9and mention that it could be checked on betfair) if those checks would throw up more.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    But there not the facts, are they? They were not concerned about McGlynn until they investigated Morrow, and they didn't report him to the FAI. The provided more info on Morrow's case. Some of which lead to McGlynn.

McGlynn has stated he made 4 bets using betfair. Every transaction is traceable. Why would he announce the 4 9and mention that it could be checked on betfair) if those checks would throw up more.
    They are facts Dodge. It doesn't matter when Betfair/ FAI became concerned, you have to become concerned at some point. There was a time they weren't concerned about Morrow.

Betfair did report McGlynn to the FAI.

Betfair is not the only betting facility in Ireland, I would not rule out the possibility that he may of placed a bet somewhere else.

As for someone connected with Derry City last year coming out and releasing a false statement.. I have no idea why he may do that, but it was hardly uncommon last year. I assume I don't need a link to back this up.

And on that note, as someone said last year, "The truth will out".

Dodge, a lot of **** when on in Derry last year, stuff was down by Directors, Players and Backroom staff, a lot hasn't come out yet. But this is not about throwing twenty notes on Bray to lose a game, and it should be becoming pretty clear at this point.
    MD

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    They are facts Dodge. It doesn't matter when Betfair/ FAI became concerned, you have to become concerned at some point. There was a time they weren't concerned about Morrow.

Betfair is not the only betting facility in Ireland, I would not rule out the possibility that he may of placed a bet somewhere else.

As for someone connected with Derry City last year coming out and releasing a false statement.. I have no idea why he may do that, but it was hardly uncommon last year. I assume I don't need a link to back this up.

And on that note, as someone said last year, "The truth will out".

Dodge, a lot of **** when on in Derry last year, stuff was down by Directors, Players and Backroom staff, a lot hasn't come out yet. But this is not about throwing twenty notes on Bray to lose a game, and it should be becoming pretty clear at this point.
    As dodge points out, why would he lie about his betting when it's so easily traced. It's simple enough to ask betfair for an account history.

He claims he backed other teams as he assumed (like I and many others) that this wasn't against the rules. Anything else you claim is bulls*it & wild exagerations you cannot possibly know are true or not.

A suspension & fine along the lines of what Dempsey got would seem the most likely outcome.
    All that's missing from your post is:

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    As dodge points out, why would he lie about his betting when it's so easily traced. It's simple enough to ask betfair for an account history.

He claims he backed other teams as he assumed (like I and many others) that this wasn't against the rules. Anything else you claim is bulls*it & wild exagerations you cannot possibly know are true or not.

A suspension & fine along the lines of what Dempsey got would seem the most likely outcome.
    Why did this guy lie? People lie, get over it.

Also please, Betfair is not the only place in this country where McGlynn would of been able to place another bet. His mate Morrow only today is still claiming that he didnt bet against Derry despite the bet been placed on his account. Where do we draw the line at believing this bull***t from them?

I know what i know, and it will come out, in the mean time if we are playing the picture game

I think this is my last post on the matter, you clearly believe every word of the statement and nothing I will say will change it. I just hope u never get taked for a fool by the players that you support.
    Last edited by mrtndvn; 24/03/2010 at 5:44 PM.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

HOw did they know he was a footballer?

Jesus lad, a bit of reality here
    ---

16. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    And the total irony of all this is Derry are installing an interactive scoreboard to show highlights etc... sponsored by BOYLESPORTS who have bought 1 hours advertising per game to give in-match betting odds allowing fans to text in bets. Should be in place for Athlone game tomorrow - easy 3 points for them then as the Derry team take to pitch with mobiles in hand Nobody can accuse Boylesports of not identifying a good business market anyway.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I presume betting on games in the same league you play in is not allowed in other jurisdications either?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Betfair reported McGlynn to the FAI, therefore they were concerned.
    Reporting something doesn't necessarily mean you're concerned. You can be helping with investigations, or even just legally obliged to report things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Reporting something doesn't necessarily mean you're concerned. You can be helping with investigations, or even just legally obliged to report things.
    And they didn't report him to the FAI, as they wouldn't have know what he did (just like they don't know what I do...)

Betfair have an agreement with the FAI about exchanging info, and one of the parts is that if the FAI ask for info on certain matters, betfair provide them with it. Clearly they asked for info on Morrow, and as part of the info they said something along the lines of "he made this bet @ this time from this IP address...." "This IP address was also used by username xxxx to bet on this event at this time..."
    ---

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Who is the QPR legend that was infamous for gambling - my mind is mushy..............................

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Who is the QPR legend that was infamous for gambling - my mind is mushy..............................
    Stan Bowles.

"If he could pass a bookies as well as he passes a football, he'd be a very rich man." - Ernie Tagg
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345