Course he doesn't, he has no club.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliek View Post
    You have no idea what being a football fan is about
    That made me laugh Is being a football fan about not going on holidays ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Course he doesn't, he has no club.
    I laughed at that more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post

You seem to back away from mentioning the word "inevitable" which was your own conclusion to draw on what I'd written, which is fair enough as it is your own viewpoint, though please don't try to make it mine.
    Ah come off it. Forget the word inevitable if you want but your post clearly stated that a+b led to c. That is what I challenged.
    It's very interesting how you have such an insight into the club, it would be even more interesting if you could elaborate on the decisions, plans, work being done as this is something that probably should be in the public domain.
    Insight into which club? Fingal? I never claimed to have an insight into Fingal
    As regards a sustainable plan, in the LOI? Not in any climate. When it was the boom time our clubs ran up debts, when crowds were flocking to games they were still losing money. No matter which option to take, they were still going to be hit, maybe they could have been braver, maybe they could have been heroes, though the graveyard is full of them.
    Rubbish. There are and have been plenty of sustainable clubs in the LOI. UC is the prime example of one that could be similar to Fingal in terms of attendance. Well run, sustainable and reasonably successful e.g. staying in the premier.

Running the club you own properly, regardless of if that means less success oesn't make you a hero, it's just the right thing to do. When you start a football club, or take one over, it's not the same as other business'. You can't use it as a plaything you can discar when you couldn't be bothered anymore. It becomes part of the community and a huge part of people's lives. You have a responsibility to them. If you're not willing to take this on then don't invest in a football club.
    On a related point, it's great to see fans of other clubs now looking for reasons to castigate those involved for not keeping the club going. Of course if they had, and made a dogs mess of it, it'd be a different point of view, with alot less "feeling" for the people who loved the club.
    Looking for reasons? You don't have to look very far do you? As someone who went through 2 years of hell in football terms watching people who didn't give a flying feck ruin a club, and the people it affected then I think I'm justified in having absolute disdain for anyone who does similar. I could list a multitude of incidents that make me hate people who run football clubs like private playthings with no regard for those who love them but the main one that sticks out is watching a 10 year old boy cry silently at the back of the bus on the way home from Derry after hearing we were going to be wound up. The people in charge had broken his heart.

So don't tell me how I should feel about people who 'don't have the stomach' etc etc.

In all honest micls, are you sad that Sporting Fingal are no longer in business, does it bother you? Personally for myself I'd say yes, though only because it's another sad story for the LOI, nothing else.
    Sporting Fingal itself, as an entity i had no feeling for at all. We never really played, them there was no rivalry etc etc. In terms of the league, it's another bad news story but in terms of the crap going on it's not as big a deal imo.

What I'm sad about is the people who grew to love it, many who may not be on forums, who finally identified with an LOI side and felt what we've all felt only for the people in charge to not be bothered anymore if they couldn't be successful. That's not what football is about.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Ah come off it. Forget the word inevitable if you want but your post clearly stated that a+b led to c. That is what I challenged.

Insight into which club? Fingal? I never claimed to have an insight into Fingal

Rubbish. There are and have been plenty of sustainable clubs in the LOI. UC is the prime example of one that could be similar to Fingal in terms of attendance. Well run, sustainable and reasonably successful e.g. staying in the premier.

Running the club you own properly, regardless of if that means less success oesn't make you a hero, it's just the right thing to do. When you start a football club, or take one over, it's not the same as other business'. You can't use it as a plaything you can discar when you couldn't be bothered anymore. It becomes part of the community and a huge part of people's lives. You have a responsibility to them. If you're not willing to take this on then don't invest in a football club.

Looking for reasons? You don't have to look very far do you? As someone who went through 2 years of hell in football terms watching people who didn't give a flying feck ruin a club, and the people it affected then I think I'm justified in having absolute disdain for anyone who does similar. I could list a multitude of incidents that make me hate people who run football clubs like private playthings with no regard for those who love them but the main one that sticks out is watching a 10 year old boy cry silently at the back of the bus on the way home from Derry after hearing we were going to be wound up. The people in charge had broken his heart.

So don't tell me how I should feel about people who 'don't have the stomach' etc etc.

Sporting Fingal itself, as an entity i had no feeling for at all. We never really played, them there was no rivalry etc etc. In terms of the league, it's another bad news story but in terms of the crap going on it's not as big a deal imo.

What I'm sad about is the people who grew to love it, many who may not be on forums, who finally identified with an LOI side and felt what we've all felt only for the people in charge to not be bothered anymore if they couldn't be successful. That's not what football is about.
    Great post and all I can say is thank you. I think Ill support Cork
    Last edited by Lamper.sffc; 19/02/2011 at 1:52 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
    Great post and all I can say is thank you. I think Ill support Cork
    That post sums up a lot of the feeling we had in Galway during the week. We have not got great support, we have never won the league, but we are 35years around the league, we are going into 2nd and 3rd generations of supporters and the 300-400 very loyal fans went through the mill this week. Our club is destitute but we have hope. My thoughts this week varied from the man i see every week in terryland who's wife passed away with illness and Terryland is the one thing that keeps him going. I still see my own da still when i walk in to game on a friday night in the corner watching games even though he passed on 7 years ago. I have witnessed supporters this week organise a "watch" on 3 or 4 supporters because of self harm issues surrounding our possible demise. Scary stuff but its real and any of us in this league gotta understand what a club means to people. GUFC recent upheavals have galvanized support and it is brilliant but now let us never forget we owe it to our community and supporters to protect and take responsibility for how we work, the values we hold, the integrity we seek. Let no club be taken over by "business types" who think they know it all. It was said to me this week by a local hack. "oh you would need to have more professionals on your committee" ****** to that the last board had loads of "qualifications" but not an ounce of sense. Id prefer to have a social worker who cares for players welfare over whether the ceo's wifes phone bill is paid any day. We should never ever "believe" without questioning any Lawyer, accountant, politician or "big time businessman". The dumbest question are sometimes the best and the persistence to get answers until you are satisfied are the only requirements people need to keep a club honest, working and retaining credibility in their community.

if this week is anything to go by i hope we never go through what the fingal supporters on here have been through this last few weeks

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576