Thread: Development of "App" for the League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Development of "App" for the League

Dear All,

I am looking for a group of volunteers to assist in the development of a
    League of Ireland app for iPhones/Android phones.

This will be a completely non commercial effort and will just be a case of the League of Ireland community coming together to develop something for the League.

I know that a lot of those involved in the development/maintenance of club or supporters sites post on here and therefore there should be more than enough in terms of the development skills required for the tasks. The application we are using is based on the idea of using web programming skills and
    therefore no specific mobile programming skills are required.

At this stage, the initial ideas are for a fairly functional app encompassing the necessities
    - Teams
    - Venues
    - Scores
    - Fixtures
    However the more people get involved, the more features might/could be added to the app.

I have checked with the League and there are no plans for an app, so anything developed here will be the first of its kind for the League.

Adam has offered whatever resources on foot.ie we need and hopefully we can turn out an application at the end of the process. Anyone that is interested please feel free to PM me for further details
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I would speak to the League with a view to incorporating their news feed and press releases into the app under a "News" Page.

Good news none the less
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    If they syndicate via RSS, I don't think he needs to ask; although there's no harm in mentioning it out of politeness.

I wouldn't bother with the standard RTE feed, there's more british football in there than Irish. Anyone know anyone in RTE that could help with a custom feed for the app and for Foot.ie in general?

I'll be doing away with the Football Feeds forum shortly, but I'll still pull a feed into the News and/or Home pages. There isn't much point at the moment though, I don't want all that british crap on those pages so I'm just pushing the important stuff into the CMS.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 09/03/2010 at 3:06 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Not the same thing I know but I'm in the process of making an application for mobile phones for college which allow users to navigate through waterford united away games. Find out the Match Details and Bus Details and then book a seat on the bus.

If it all goes to plan and I can get it working properly I might expand it to all LOI clubs if possible. Then take any further Apps from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    If you want to get a look at what would be a decent app for this kind of thing - download and look at this for the iPhone / iTouch

http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/tv-2-...337062011?mt=8

It provides live updates for all games on a relevant day - which can be followed via the "Livecentre" option on the bottom.

In some leagues - if you press on the entry with the goal next to it - it then shows you the actual goal - something that is quite cool imo
    Kom Igen, FCK...

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    haha Slutt!

This is a great idea, with so many people with iPhones now it would be great for providing easy access to information and maybe get people to look out for league results that may not usually do so.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nice one Frosty. Sounds like a great idea!