Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2020

Thread: 2010 attendances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    No, we dont represent Connaught at all.
    We represent ourselves and have got nothing to do with Mayo or Roscommon or Leitrim or any of that small minded parochial GAA ****e.
    It reeks of the same crap from the media about these so called Connaught "derbys" with Galway, its not a derby as far as we are concerned.
    Representing a county only is what would be classed as small minded parochial GAA stuff in some quarters.
    I wouldn't say provincial derbies are media driven. I've seen the Kerry League beat Waterford United. I'd like to see Tralee Dynamos involved in some Munster derbies and winning them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    Oi, we're champions of Leinster.
    Fair play to ye on that. Shamrock Rovers are still the best team in Leinster. Hard luck on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Representing a county only is what would be classed as small minded parochial GAA stuff in some quarters.
    I wouldn't say provincial derbies are media driven. I've seen the Kerry League beat Waterford United. I'd like to see Tralee Dynamos involved in some Munster derbies and winning them.
    I never mentioned the county, I said Rovers just represents the people that follow it that are from Sligo Town and its surroundings.
    We are not Connaught representatives or any of that GAA ****e because we havnt got some mumbo jumbo affinity to someone from the depths of Roscommon.
    I cant speak for Waterford or Kerry or where ever, all I can tell you is of my own experiences being a Rovers fan and I can tell you that the people of Sligo could really care less about beating Galway but yet the media always refer to it as "the Connaught derby" as if it is a derby of some importance to fans of Galway United and Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Fair play to ye on that. Shamrock Rovers are still the best team in Leinster. Hard luck on that.
    Shels won the leinster cup so that makes them the best in leinster Rovers won the league so they are the best in the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    You come out with some tripe mate. Shels = Best in Leinster, hence the trophy. Rovers = best in league hence the league title.

Sure we beat Rovers 3 times out of the 4 games.
    Last edited by Dunny; 31/10/2010 at 4:34 PM.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Our 3-1 win in Tallaght says differently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    I never mentioned the county, I said Rovers just represents the people that follow it that are from Sligo Town and its surroundings.
    We are not Connaught representatives or any of that GAA ****e because we havnt got some mumbo jumbo affinity to someone from the depths of Roscommon.
    I cant speak for Waterford or Kerry or where ever, all I can tell you is of my own experiences being a Rovers fan and I can tell you that the people of Sligo could really care less about beating Galway but yet the media always refer to it as "the Connaught derby" as if it is a derby of some importance to fans of Galway United and Rovers.
    Rovers get quite a few people following them from the surrounding counties as well as just Sligo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I've heard stories of people in Leitrim supporting Sligo. They see it getting beyond the local GAA parochial stuff. Would people around Sligo Town knock support like that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lep View Post
    Shels won the leinster cup so that makes them the best in leinster Rovers won the league so they are the best in the league
    If Sligo win the FAI Cup are they then the best team in Ireland?
    But yeah I get you're point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    You come out with some tripe mate. Shels = Best in Leinster, hence the trophy. Rovers = best in league hence the league title.

Sure we beat Rovers 3 times out of the 4 games.
    Can't really comment back because I haven't really noticed any of your posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    You noticed that one yet still failed to reply, yet again, more tripe.

Ye aint worth the infraction tbh.
    Last edited by Dunny; 31/10/2010 at 4:53 PM.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    I've heard stories of people in Leitrim supporting Sligo. They see it getting beyond the local GAA parochial stuff. Would people around Sligo Town knock support like that?
    Not at all, just like the few that would be from South Donegal that turn up to games.
    Its got nothing to do with a "Connaught" thing, its just geographical convenience to the people that turn up that arent from Sligo Town or its surroundings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    Our 3-1 win in Tallaght says differently
    Congrats on that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Not at all, just like the few that would be from South Donegal that turn up to games.
    Its got nothing to do with a "Connaught" thing, its just geographical convenience to the people that turn up that arent from Sligo Town or its surroundings.
    I have to say I like the insight I get on here like this. I would not have known Sligo get support from South Donegal.
    There's no harm in some off the wall stuff being put out there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Youre completely wide of the mark there Rasputin. There are plenty of loyal Sligo Rovers fans all over Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo and south Donegal. I know of people that travel from Dromahair, Wesport, Carrick and Letterkenny to the Showgrounds whenever they can.

This season alone we have had a Mayo hotel as a match sponsor and underage clubs from other counties on the pitch at half time. We'd probably known as representing the North West in the LOI by some people.
    Last edited by redobit; 31/10/2010 at 7:25 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    1st time post, ARooney and Model Club, just responding to the man I met who was a Rovers fan - he still follows the clubs fortunes though not in person, he was born and bred a fan, protested against the move from Milltown (he'd moved from Terenure I think it was to live in the Fingal area and raised/s a family there) and like a large number of Shamrock Rovers fans at the time simply walked away in disgust. Now people can talk all the nonsense they want about being a true fan, always for x club and so on, however I can name at least 2 people who not only are still with Rovers but also worked with the club to get it where it is now who have family members they fell out with over the Milltown disgrace. Like this gentleman he's always got an interest in Rovers though now he lives, works and exists in Fingal and follows SF. The club I grew up supporting (Dundalk) I still follow from a distance but the behaviour of opportunists and their attitudes during the Co-Op period sickened me and while I still attend matches each year I've felt a disconnect from that time, so much so that I stopped buying season tickets at that time.
    .+

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Youre completely wide of the mark there Rasputin. There are plenty of loyal Sligo Rovers fans all over Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo and south Donegal. I know of people that travel from Dromahair, Wesport, Carrick and Letterkenny to the Showgrounds whenever they can.

This season alone we have had a Mayo hotel as a match sponsor and underage clubs from other counties on the pitch at half time. We'd probably known as representing the North West in the LOI by some people.
    And Harps and Derry represent where? The Atlantic section of the LOI?
    Say nothin til ya hear more!

19. Thanks From:

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    1st time post, ARooney and Model Club, just responding to the man I met who was a Rovers fan - he still follows the clubs fortunes though not in person, he was born and bred a fan, protested against the move from Milltown (he'd moved from Terenure I think it was to live in the Fingal area and raised/s a family there) and like a large number of Shamrock Rovers fans at the time simply walked away in disgust. Now people can talk all the nonsense they want about being a true fan, always for x club and so on, however I can name at least 2 people who not only are still with Rovers but also worked with the club to get it where it is now who have family members they fell out with over the Milltown disgrace. Like this gentleman he's always got an interest in Rovers though now he lives, works and exists in Fingal and follows SF. The club I grew up supporting (Dundalk) I still follow from a distance but the behaviour of opportunists and their attitudes during the Co-Op period sickened me and while I still attend matches each year I've felt a disconnect from that time, so much so that I stopped buying season tickets at that time.
    .+
    Point taken,but my involvement at least would have been averted if the words "life long" wern't attatched to the afforementioned former Rovers "fan".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Model Club View Post
    Point taken,but my involvement at least would have been averted if the words "life long" wern't attatched to the afforementioned former Rovers "fan".
    That and the term loyalty were the only reasons why i questioned it. I can understand why some Shams fans never went back after Milltown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlay Harp View Post
    And Harps and Derry represent where? The Atlantic section of the LOI?
    lol
    Do Sligo fans see Galway as a derby? Is Sligo seen as a NW derby when they play Harps and Derry?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    lol
    Do Sligo fans see Galway as a derby? Is Sligo seen as a NW derby when they play Harps and Derry?
    No to all of them really.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Model Club
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st time post View Post
    That and the term loyalty were the only reasons why i questioned it. I can understand why some Shams fans never went back after Milltown.

Funny,I can't!

To me you support your club until you die.I realize this is a simple,uncomplicated,utopian view but it happens to be how I truly feel.
    When the club were forced out of Milltown they needed the fans more than ever.Milltown will always hold a special place in the history of Rovers but the last 23 years has taught me that it was only bricks and mortar and that the real heart of the club is its fans.

In my time supporting Rovers I have seen fans drop off,some you would think would be there as long as they live and then one day someone asks,"where's **** these days"? Never to be seen again.

I feel privaliged to be assossiated with supporters of my club who attended matches decades before I was born and I love hearing "Uncle Albert" type stories of bygone days on away trips and functions.The single biggest respect I have for these people is their unbroken service supporting Rovers, in one case for 70+ years,to use the cliche through thick and thin.

No LOI club is in a position to turn away fans or create a,"them and us mentality" with newer supporters but to me Rovers begins and ends with a small number of fans that I hope to emulate in the years to come.