Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland Squad Vs Czechs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ireland Squad Vs Czechs

Colgan, Harte, Carsley and kinsella all involved. Very disappointed.

Republic of Ireland squad (for friendly v Czech Republic, Mar 31st, 2004):

Goalkeepers: Given (Newcastle United), Colgan (Hibernian), Kenny (Sheffield United).

Defenders: Carr, Doherty (both Spurs), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Dunne (Manchester City), Finnan (Liverpool), Harte (Leeds United), O’Brien (Newcastle United).

Midfielders: Carsley (Everton), Delap (Southampton), Duff (Chelsea), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Kilbane (Everton), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), McPhail (Leeds United), Reid (Nottingham Forest).

Forwards: Connolly (West Ham United), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Lee (Cardiff City), Morrison (Birmingham City).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    No John O'Shea, Gary Breen, Graham Kavanagh, Graham Stack or Jason McAteer.
    I know they're not all injured.....

Gary Doherty should be nowhere near an Irish squad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    He might be thinking of trying Delap at left-back, something Giles suggested a couple of years ago. If so, - time to celebrate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    well kavanagh is injured and breen macateer and o shea will all be in fa cup action the weekend after so i think thats why they arent in it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McPhail? Kinsella? Lee? These have absolutley nothing to offer the Irish side. Same goes for Harte too mind but we're stuck for cover.

And I'm suprised the moral outrage from Cork hasn't reached this thread yet but in this case they would have a point, there's no way anyone can tell me Alan Lee is better then John O'Flynn.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    Defenders: Carr, Doherty (both Spurs), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Dunne (Manchester City), Finnan (Liverpool), Harte (Leeds United), O’Brien (Newcastle United).
    I hope we get a bit more class in tis dept for the qualifiers. Doherty, Harte and to an extent, Dunne, have no business there.

Midfielders: Carsley (Everton), Delap (Southampton), Duff (Chelsea), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Kilbane (Everton), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), McPhail (Leeds United), Reid (Nottingham Forest).
    McPhail? Carsley? Kinsella (used to be a fan, though i hear he is playing veery well for WBA) and Reid, no where near good enough for international standard.

Forwards: Connolly (West Ham United), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Lee (Cardiff City), Morrison (Birmingham City).
    Lee? What has he ever done like?

Thast a poor poor squad. The likes of France will craap all over us.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Andy Reid, not good enough to play international football? You're talking out of your arse.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    no way anyone can tell me Alan Lee is better then John O'Flynn.
    O'Flynn should definitely be given his chance. I want to have a decent look at McPhail but as said before, a poor squad. Pity Kavanagh is injured. Is it serious?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Bloody hell!!!
    All the usual suspects, whats the point in playing friendlies unless new players are tried out!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Footie_Fan
    Pity Kavanagh is injured. Is it serious?
    Routine operation - hernia or hamstring I think. He's out for the season, which isn't that long at this stage.

only1kilbane

Unhappy

Why are people giving out so much about the squad and saying new players should be introduced ? That squad is basically without john o shea, mc ateer and Kavanagh all we have ! We dont really have people who are good enough knocking on the door. O flynn is a great player in the League of Ireland but would need to make a move to at least a first division side in England to be properly tested. Defending in the LOI is maybe second third division standard so he really needs to play against better opposition before he can truly be rated. As for Alan Lee he is doing alright in a first division side and is better than anything else we have on offer at the moment

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by only1kilbane
    O flynn ...would need to make a move to ...be properly tested.
    Fair enough, he isn't playing Champions League football (yet). But he's scoring in the LoI is just amazing. Others have been called up on that basis. More imnportantly, he scored goals for fun at International U-21 level, including one against Germany. So he didn't have an issue with stepping up and playing against quality opposition. Surely he deserves a call up on that basis alone? I wouldn't start him against France, but at least take a look at him in a friendly.

only1kilbane

Red face

Fair enough in giving him a cap i think hes a quality player. But if we cap him is he seroiusly going to play against France if we have injuries. I think people like connolly and lee are more likely to play which is why they are in the squad. I think a move to England would improve his game dramatically and hopefully then prove to Brian Kerr that he is good enough to play at a higher level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think Lee gets picked cos he can be used as a target man. Connolly on the other hand.....
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Connolly on the other hand.....
    Connelly's there in the hope that some day he'll be half as good as he thinks he is.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Connolly was half as good as he thinks he is he'd be European Footballer of the year. That said, the only time i've seen him recently was in West Ham's Cup game against Fulham and have to say he was superb. Put about six goals on a plate for Harewood who couldn't hit the proverbial donkey's a*se with a banjo. Why can't he reproduce that form for Ireland more than once every 30 odd games? As for other players, was a Kinsella fan but has lost a lot from his game in the last couple of years. Nothing to gain by his inclusion. Always thought Carsley was muck and position hasn't changed. Lee has scored regular goals for a poor team in divisiob 1 for a few seasons. Hasn't been tried and worth a look at. Are Jon Douglas and James O'Connor or even Martin Rowlands at QPR injured? I'd prefer players to really earn a cap with solid performances over a couple of years but surely with all the injuries they'd be better than trotting out the usual suspects. Finally the earlier suggestion by Gary that Andy Reid doesn't deserve to be in our squad defies logic.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Why can't he reproduce that form for Ireland more than once every 30 odd games?
    Thats exactly his problem. He will have a good game for Ireland (Turkey) but will have to wait 3-4 year for the next one. IMO that means he taking a place of other untried player
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    As for other players, was a Kinsella fan but has lost a lot from his game in the last couple of years. Nothing to gain by his inclusion.
    Kinsella's back playing first-team football and doing well by all accounts. He's one of our most experienced players and showed his class in the last World Cup. Hasn't had much first-team action since then, but now that he is getting picked, he deserves his chance, especially with McAteer, Miller, Healy, K***e, etc. all out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Kinsella's back playing first-team football and doing well by all accounts. He's one of our most experienced players and showed his class in the last World Cup. Hasn't had much first-team action since then, but now that he is getting picked, he deserves his chance, especially with McAteer, Miller, Healy, K***e, etc. all out.
    I see that Kinsella has displaced James O'Connor at WBA, which I think is a shame. Kinsella has his qualities, but he aint one for the future and based on his recent anonymous performances for Ireland I'd be surprised if he makes the WC. O'Connor was a regular until Kinsella showed up and it would have been interesting to see how he got in in the Premiership, assuming the Baggies go up. Maybe they're just saving him for next year.........
    Maybe you should put her on a leash, agent-man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The reason Connolly doesn't perform at international level is because he is nearly always partnered with Keane. These two players complicate each other. As we have seen many times, if he plays with someone like Doc (although I don't want Doc up front ever again) he plays a lot better. He is an ideal replacement if Keane gets injured.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast