Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Cawley

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts

Alan Cawley

Big row at the moment over whether Shels owe us compensation or not. It seems that players under 23 can't move for free and that compensation must always be paid unless the "selling" club indicate that they don't want to re-sign the player. Shels are claiming that Calwey has to have been playing for us for the last two full seasons, so they don't owe us anything. Either way, he didn't play on Friday because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    There has to be a straightforward answer to that. Either he has to have been with us for two years or we're owed compensation.

I'm sure the FAI will take a month or seven to sort it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Meant to post about this earlier. Apparently Ollie Byrne is threatening to take the matter to court and ignore any tribunal!

We seem confident about getting the money out of them though. Dick Shakespeare said: "Shelbourne have known for months that we’d be seeking compensation. The league has acted very professionally and has tried to push this along for the last month. It’s my impression that Shelbourne heads have been buried in the sand."

See here, here and here.

Pay up Ollie!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    There has to be a straightforward answer to that. Either he has to have been with us for two years or we're owed compensation.
    Apparently we signed him in August 2002, which was a month after the season started (which I think is right). Dick Shakespeare is quoted in the Star today saying we're definitely owed money and have said so since the start.

I'm sure there is a simple way out of this. I'd be tempted to say we're right, seeing as we usually are and seeing as how Shels' last registration whinge was over Ciarán Martyn, which they lost. Be interesting how it pans out though!

Either way, it seems that overall, offering players one-year contracts is a good move seeing as we do get compensation for them if they move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Dick Shakespeare is quoted in the Star today saying we're definitely owed money and have said so since the start.
    See link 2 above.

Shels' last registration whinge was over Ciarán Martyn, which they lost.
    They got "a four figure sum" out of that though so there must have been something in it.
    Either way, it seems that overall, offering players one-year contracts is a good move seeing as we do get compensation for them if they move.
    Only if they stay for two seasons and are under 23 when they leave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    According to the list of sports scholars here:

http://www.ucd.ie/sport/html/homepag...ewsnov024.html

Alan had a scholorship in 2002. It seems an open and shut case. Shels are denying thamselves of a player untill they sort it out.

Also, I've said this before, but I don't like the idea of clubs bringing relativley small matters like this to court. It's a waste of money and the FAI should be able to decide matters like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Interesting article by Emmet Malone in the Irish Times today about the row. Michael Hyland reckons Shels are in the right, but the league's legal advisers reckon we're right. Apparently, Roy Dooney had intended to amend the rule in question, which would have meant that Shels would have been right, but never got around to it ('cos he got the boot), and so it appears we're right. Article basically carries the tone that it's about time somebody shut Ollie up with his constant whingeing! There's talk of us receiving up to 40 grand from the tribunal too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Here's the Emmet Malone article mentioned above...

Shelbourne's luck off the pitch may have run out
    Emmet Malone

NATIONAL LEAGUE: League champions they may be but it is in off-the-pitch disputes that Shelbourne have established a really impressive unbeaten run over the past few seasons.

After a weekend, however, in which Pat Fenlon had probably earned himself a disrepute charge for his comments to the media and Ollie Byrne had made his by-now-customary threat to haul everybody off to the High Court, there were signs the Alan Cawley affair might just mark a change in the club's luck.

As of yesterday, there were no signs of the Tolka Park line on the controversy softening, but then you would hardly expect it to. Byrne, after all, has made a habit of screaming from the rooftops when he has felt aggrieved in the past and has made his club a tidy profit from it too.

Before Christmas the FAI paid the club €100,000 to settle a variety of outstanding claims by the Dublin club against them. Included in that list, apparently, was the refereeing error in last year's cup defeat by Sligo that spared Rovers a sending-off with a couple of minutes remaining, the legal costs of the Paul Marney case - though they were awarded against the club in court - and a reluctantly made contribution towards flood damage to Tolka Park.

At issue in the current dispute is whether close to €40,000 is due to UCD from Shelbourne in compensation for the club's role in developing Cawley.

By local standards it is a huge sum, enough to make the promising but unproven 22-year-old one of the most expensive signings in the domestic game's history and, after their recent financial troubles, coming up with the money would presumably be a struggle for the league champions.

At the heart of the conflict are differing interpretations of the league's rule 19.23. Shelbourne insist the rule's wording requires that Cawley have been a UCD player for two full seasons before compensation would be due and that he fell a few weeks short of this. UCD claim the midfielder was with the club for the full two seasons but that it doesn't matter anyway as the wording requires only that he have been there for part of the second season.

It is one of the case's many ironies that Roy Dooney, once Byrne's bête noire, intended changing the wording, in what would have been Shelbourne's favour, before being forced from office over the Paul Marney affair.

Michael Hyland, who was league chairman when a previous case involving Stuart Connolly's move from Athlone to Dundalk arose, agrees with Shelbourne's interpretation of the rule but, more significantly, one suspects, the league's legal advisers, A&L Goodbody, reckon UCD are on the firmer ground.

Not surprisingly, there is considerable sympathy around for the player who finds himself caught in the centre of all of this.

Equally predictably, though, there is little enough for Shelbourne. Fenlon's claim that he considered resigning when the club received a fax, three hours before kick-off on Friday, instructing them not to play Cawley is, amongst other things, viewed with a mixture of bemusement and consternation in Merrion Square, where it is felt that the club had to know already that it could not field a player whose transfer was the subject of a dispute.

And Shelbourne's own stated concern for the player would be easier to admire if they hadn't only last week made Ciaran Martyn pay the club around €7,500 compensation out of his own pocket for deciding to stay with Derry rather than honour a pre-contract agreement.

As it happens, their initial offer to Martyn was illegal under league rules but Byrne, who prides himself on his knowledge of the rule book, could justify the timing of his club's approach under the FAI's regulations. It was just the sort of move that has done much to alienate them from other league clubs over the years.

There have been other things that have generated ill will too, however, including Shelbourne's decision to oppose a proposed television deal that came before the league last year which Byrne felt didn't best suit his club's best interests. The vote on that occasion was 21 to one.

Sympathies will be divided in much the same proportions if, having done so well in the past out of living by the sword, Byrne is felled by it on this occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    40,000 euro, I can see why such a fight is being kicked up over it. Where is that figure from does anyone know?

Also, I'd be interested to read this rule 19 myself. Anyone know where a copy of the rulebook on the internet is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Read that piece earlier; €40,000, sweet.

No idea where the league rules are available, there's no sign of them on fai.ie.
    Last edited by Schumi; 23/03/2004 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Ollie Byrne is a w@nker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Read that piece earlier; €40,000, sweet.

No idea where the league rules are available, there's no sign of them on fai.ie.
    The only know copy is written on 60,000 post-its, which are currently stored in Eircom Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    The only know copy is written on 60,000 post-its, which are currently stored in Eircom Park.

The transfer would go to a tribunal, who would then decide the fee based on how long the player's been with us, how good he is and other stuff like that. I presume E40k is a complete educated guess so, as I don't think any tribunal has made any decisions so far in Ireland?

I presume also that some of that money would have to go to Sheffield Wednesday as part of the role they had in developing him? Should be only around 10% though, if CM is correct! He was only at Leeds for one year, so no money for them!

One of the highest transfer fees in Irish football, according to that article - thank you Johnny Bosman!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A snippet from today's Indo:

"SCHOOLBOY and junior clubs around the country will watch with envy this afternoon when an independent tribunal sits down to decide the compensation Galway United should receive from Derry City for striker Alan Murphy.

And they will be equally captivated when another tribunal decides, possibly later this week, on the level of recompense that Shelbourne must pay UCD after signing midfielder Alan Cawley during the close season.

The compensation that will be paid to Galway and UCD will be in recognition of the time, effort and money they put into the development and training of both players and it is cash that nobody will begrudge either club."

I don't know if that means that a decision has been reached. It looks more like lazy journalism to me, especially the bit that says "it is cash that nobody will begrudge either club.". I think that a few people in Shels would begrudge it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Eleven-a-side.com's quote of the day:
    "Shelbourne have known for months that we’d be seeking compensation. The league has acted very professionally and has tried to push this along for the last month. It’s my impression that Shelbourne heads have been buried in the sand." - UCD secretary Dick Shakespeare hits back at eircom League champions Shelbourne over the Alan Cawley eligibility debacle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Today's Indo:

"Mayo club get cash windfall

MAYO club Ballinrobe got an unexpected windfall yesterday after Galway United announced they intend to give the schoolboy club 10 per cent of the fee due to them following the transfer of Alan Murphy to Derry City.

An independent tribunal yesterday ordered Derry to pay £22,000 for the 21-year-old striker, so Ballinrobe will receive €2,200.

"We didn't have to give Ballinrobe any money but we felt that morally we had to," said a Galway spokesman."

Apart from a ambiguity about pounds and euros in that, it gives an idea of the type of valuations that the tribunal puts on players. Aertel reported that Galway were dissapointed with the ammount.

P.S. Is this the same Alan Murphy whom I remember from his days at Drogheda United? A short lad with a begrudging handshake.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    P.S. Is this the same Alan Murphy whom I remember from his days at Drogheda United? A short lad with a begrudging handshake.
    No, he's with us and is a full back...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Student
    with a begrudging handshake.

Apparently Galway were looking for E48000, so it looks like, if we win, we'll be looking at nearer E20k than E40k, but a nice windfall all the same!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Interesting bit in The Times today about how a prominent youth club has written to us several times looking for compensation for players we've signed and have yet to receive a satisfactory reply. Though I remember the committee saying taht they were happy we wouldn't get stung for thiings like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From today's Indo:

"Tribunal date set

AN end to the Alan Cawley saga is in sight after the Eircom League announced last night that a transfer compensation tribunal will meet on Friday morning, writes Gerry McDermott. UCD are seeking compensation from Shelbourne for the midfielder who has been forced to sit out the league champions' opening two games of the season."

I just hope that this is the end of it. We don't need to see the league taken to court over this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Shouldn't we (and Shels) have a representative at the tribunal? If so, surely Friday night (when both are playing) is the worst possible time to have the tribunal?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast